View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

djinferno
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/27/13
Send PM

Help with gamepad or joystick
#306365 - 03/27/13 11:54 AM

hi everyone... I have windows 8 and mameui64 running... I am tired of using the keyboard I want a game pad or joystick.. I know with a lot of messing about I can use my ps3 or xbox controller but I would rather know if there is a controller that is BEST to use with mame

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/05/13
Send PM

Re: Help with gamepad or joystick new [Re: djinferno]
#306368 - 03/27/13 12:36 PM

Since MAME emulates multiple games that originally didn't necessarily have anything to do with each other, this question cannot be universally answered. Which games do you wanna play?

All in all, I think this one:
www.amazon.com/Logitech-963335-0403-Precision-Gamepad/dp/B00030AX3Q
is a pretty good general purpose gamepad.

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

#306389 - 03/27/13 07:14 PM Attachment: 125125-logitech-rumblepad-2-2581.jpg 36 KB (0 downloads)

I have used all types of controllers but the one that stands out to me the best and comfortable in game emulation in general is a controller similar to any playstation pad with analog. The reason is because its good for certain driving games and games that use analog which is quite a lot in MAME and emulation. For joysticks nothing beats an X-Arcade. I hope you find something. Goodluck.
Heres an example:

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Help with gamepad or joystick new [Re: DaRayu]
#306395 - 03/27/13 09:43 PM

> Since MAME emulates multiple games that originally didn't necessarily have anything
> to do with each other, this question cannot be universally answered. Which games do
> you wanna play?
>
> All in all, I think this one:
> www.amazon.com/Logitech-963335-0403-Precision-Gamepad/dp/B00030AX3Q
> is a pretty good general purpose gamepad.

I've had one of those for years. For old school console games, it's the best pad I've used. For MAME, I'd probably go for the version with analog thumb sticks like jumpmaniac posted. They're reasonably useful for some of the driving games, and I'd imagine they'd be decent for two-stick shooters like Robotron or SmashTV as well.

If you go with the Precision, shop around. I got mine on sale at Target for $5 about 8-10 years ago.

djinferno
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Help with gamepad or joystick new [Re: DMala]
#306408 - 03/28/13 12:13 AM

so you guys would even suggest setting up the ps3 or xbox controllers as they are the same thing basically

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#306410 - 03/28/13 12:26 AM Attachment: gp8.jpg 262 KB (0 downloads)

It mostly comes down to D pad preference. This is my current controller, but any of Saitek's that use this D pad would be fine for most stuff.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

djinferno
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Help with gamepad or joystick new [Re: Smitdogg]
#306414 - 03/28/13 12:41 AM

thanks guys you have been a great help

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Help with gamepad or joystick new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#306424 - 03/28/13 01:50 AM

I have two of the lesser models (Logitech Dual Action, which lacks rumble), bought in 2006 and 2010 respectively. The older one wore out from overuse and has since been given replacement rubber membranes from a knockoff non-analog PSX controller and it works like new again. I haven't needed to repair the second one yet.

zambr
MAME Fanatic
Reged: 04/12/09
Send PM

#306425 - 03/28/13 02:03 AM

> so you guys would even suggest setting up the ps3 or xbox controllers as they are the
> same thing basically
You'll find an xbox 360 wired controller will work as soon as you plug it in, which is what I like to use

Embryoice
I am the Master Warrior!
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Send PM

#306432 - 03/28/13 04:32 AM

I recommend using this:

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#306443 - 03/28/13 04:58 AM

> so you guys would even suggest setting up the ps3 or xbox controllers as they are the
> same thing basically

I have XBOX controllers, too. They're not bad, but the only caveat is that the D-pads on them suck balls. Supposedly there are mods you can do to improve them, but I haven't tried any. If you're going to rely heavily on the D-pad, I'd probably look for something else.

A quick Google shows that it may be a mild pain in the ass to get PS3 controllers working on a PC. It looks like you have to rely on third party drivers. If you can get it working, they're probably pretty decent. I always liked SONY's controllers.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Help with gamepad or joystick new [Re: zambr]
#306451 - 03/28/13 06:58 AM

> You'll find an xbox 360 wired controller will work as soon as you plug it in, which
> is what I like to use

Right, then try a round of Mr. Driller using the d-pad, then you won't like it so much anymore. I can't understand how something so glaringly defective can pass any kind of quality control...it's broken by design.

S

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: Help with gamepad or joystick new [Re: Sune]
#306464 - 03/28/13 03:56 PM

> Right, then try a round of Mr. Driller using the d-pad, then you won't like it so
> much anymore. I can't understand how something so glaringly defective can pass any
> kind of quality control...it's broken by design.

I suspect it's because the modern console games the controller was originally designed for don't make use of the D-pad the same way classic games do. In most modern games, the analog sticks are your main control input, and the D-pad is just for secondary tasks that don't require a lot of precision, like looking around (e.g. in a racing game) or flipping through inventory or whatever. In the Windows driver, it even gets identified as a hat switch.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Help with gamepad or joystick new [Re: DMala]
#306475 - 03/28/13 09:24 PM Attachment: Adapter.jpg 256 KB (0 downloads)

> > Right, then try a round of Mr. Driller using the d-pad, then you won't like it so
> > much anymore. I can't understand how something so glaringly defective can pass any
> > kind of quality control...it's broken by design.
>
> I suspect it's because the modern console games the controller was originally
> designed for don't make use of the D-pad the same way classic games do. In most
> modern games, the analog sticks are your main control input, and the D-pad is just
> for secondary tasks that don't require a lot of precision, like looking around (e.g.
> in a racing game) or flipping through inventory or whatever.

Yes, the xbox 360 controller's D-pad is only useable for the things you mention and completely useless for actually controlling something.

I like playing modern games with it but it's worthless for old games, the DualShock d-pad (being an actual d-pad) is way better.

And I made this for myself so I can use my old C64/Speccy/Amiga joysticks, just a quick hack job but it works fine:

S

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 305 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5851