MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Gideon Zhi
Romhacker
Reged: 03/19/13
Send PM

Bluetooth and USB joysticks coexisting?
#305948 - 03/19/13 01:12 AM

Hey folks, I've got an issue with Windows and the way it indexes joysticks, and I'm hoping you folks will have solution suggestions. What this boils down to is that I've got my fancy controller-only media box, and it's primarily controlled via bluetooth Dualshock 3, with the PS button being the trigger to quit most of the emulators on the system, including MAME. I'm trying to get it working with other Dualshock _2_ controllers, many of which I already have, via cheap USB PSX adapters. The issue seems to be that when a USB controller gets plugged in, it immediately gets joystick index priority over the DS3. *EVEN WITH* JoyToKey 5 forcing the DS3 to be Joystick 1, whenever I load up MAME, JoyToKey is ignored entirely, and my Dualshock 3 is suddenly Pad 3 rather than Pad 1, and since the "kill MAME" command is bound to the PS button which DS2s don't have, I'm suddenly stuck. It happens if I plug a 360 controller in too - DirectX or whatever handles gamepads in Windows assigns the wired pad as Joystick 1 despite the bluetooth DS3 having previously occupied that index. What I'm looking to do is force the DS3 to stay as Joystick 1, regardless of whatever other gamepads I may plug in.

Does anyone have any tips to this effect?

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Bluetooth and USB joysticks coexisting? new [Re: Gideon Zhi]
#305982 - 03/19/13 04:49 PM

> Hey folks, I've got an issue with Windows and the way it indexes joysticks, and I'm
> hoping you folks will have solution suggestions. What this boils down to is that I've
> got my fancy controller-only media box, and it's primarily controlled via bluetooth
> Dualshock 3, with the PS button being the trigger to quit most of the emulators on
> the system, including MAME. I'm trying to get it working with other Dualshock _2_
> controllers, many of which I already have, via cheap USB PSX adapters. The issue
> seems to be that when a USB controller gets plugged in, it immediately gets joystick
> index priority over the DS3. *EVEN WITH* JoyToKey 5 forcing the DS3 to be Joystick 1,
> whenever I load up MAME, JoyToKey is ignored entirely, and my Dualshock 3 is suddenly
> Pad 3 rather than Pad 1, and since the "kill MAME" command is bound to the PS button
> which DS2s don't have, I'm suddenly stuck. It happens if I plug a 360 controller in
> too - DirectX or whatever handles gamepads in Windows assigns the wired pad as
> Joystick 1 despite the bluetooth DS3 having previously occupied that index. What I'm
> looking to do is force the DS3 to stay as Joystick 1, regardless of whatever other
> gamepads I may plug in.
>
> Does anyone have any tips to this effect?

That's just Windows being Windows unfortunately. Basically you'll probably have to pissfart around inserting and removing controllers in a specific order until Windows has them hooked up the 'right' way. Hopefully Windows doesn't hard code each controller to always stay as 1, 2, 3 when plugged in...

JoyToKey doesn't work in MAME as it uses a more basic type of input interface which MAME doesn't make use of (e.g. using a gamepad via JoyToKey will work in a handful of Windows games, as well as Notepad, Word etc, but MAME won't even know it's there as it isn't using the same interface MAME uses to read keyboard/virtual keyboard inputs).

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 432 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2061