View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Holy premium jump, Batman!
#305813 - 03/15/13 11:22 PM Attachment: escalated.jpg 48 KB (0 downloads)

So my son got his driver's license today (congratulations to him, big day), and I called my auto insurance to add him...

My 6 month premium went from $200/6mo to $1000/6mo!

I asked the lady to double check that... I expected a bump, but not a 5x sky rocket. Sure enough, it was right. And that's WITH a good student discount.

Fuck me.

I'lll shop around, but damn.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by Gatinho (03/15/13 11:24 PM)

Waremonger
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: Holy premium jump, Batman! new [Re: GatKong]
#305825 - 03/16/13 04:02 AM

> So my son got his driver's license today (congratulations to him, big day), and I
> called my auto insurance to add him...
>
> My 6 month premium went from $200/6mo to $1000/6mo!
>
>
> I asked the lady to double check that... I expected a bump, but not a 5x sky rocket.
> Sure enough, it was right. And that's WITH a good student discount.
>
> Fuck me.
>
> I'lll shop around, but damn.

Yup, I had the same experience a few years ago when my son got his drivers license. Then we were thinking about buying him a beater for his first car and I checked the insurance company website to get some quick quotes to see how much the premium would go up if we did decide to buy him a car. Well, that was a big mistake because then they automatically added him to my insurance and wouldn't let me take him off so my premium shot up by $1000. They claimed that everyone in the household with a drivers license is required to have insurance regardless of whether they own or drive a car. I ended up changing insurance companies even though we did decide to buy him a car...

Now that I'm with Progressive they have been dropping our premium every six months since my son hasn't had any accidents or driving violations so it's gone down quite a lot from when I first put him on the insurance. I doubt Geico would have done the same if I had stayed with them.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#305827 - 03/16/13 04:23 AM

> So my son got his driver's license today (congratulations to him, big day), and I
>
>
>
> I asked the lady to double check that... I expected a bump, but not a 5x sky rocket.
> Sure enough, it was right. And that's WITH a good student discount.
>
> Fuck me.
>
> I'lll shop around, but damn.

Cheap insurance companies give discounts to "responsible" (older but not enough = lower risk) people. Of course your insurance sky rockets when there's a teenager behind the wheel. Fan of "The Fast and the Furious" or not.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Holy premium jump, Batman! new [Re: Waremonger]
#305832 - 03/16/13 05:17 AM

> Well, that was a big mistake because then
> they automatically added him to my insurance and wouldn't let me take him off so my
> premium shot up by $1000. They claimed that everyone in the household with a drivers
> license is required to have insurance regardless of whether they own or drive a car.
> I ended up changing insurance companies even though we did decide to buy him a car...

Geico is so shady about that. I had to yell at them repeatedly that they could not put my wife on the policy, because she has no license and therefore can't legally drive the car anyway. I know they do it because people would try to cut corners on the premiums and then drive anyway, but they're really obnoxious about it.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#305833 - 03/16/13 05:42 AM

>
>

The rates are determined by matching up the highest risk driver in the household with the most expensive (riskiest) vehicle to insure.

In some states you can get around this in various ways, but is sometimes depends on the insurance company. Some things to try...

1) Get a car specifically for your son to drive and tell the insurance company that he will only ever drive that car.

2) Even better, get your son his own car, and his own insurance policy.

One thing to be aware of is that there is a company called the Insurance Standards Organization (ISO) that determines a numerical rating for every vehicle manufactured. This number ranges from 2 to 17 (the last time I checked) and the higher a the number is, the more expensive it is to insure.

The rule of thumb is that if a vehicle can remotely be considered a "sports car" and/or is desirable to teenage boys, it will cost a lot to insure. For example, as expected, anything by Lamborghini, Ferarri, or Porche is very expensive to insure because they assume that if you drive a car that goes fast, you're more likely to be involved in an accident. However, some cars that you wouldn't expect, like a Honda Civic also cause your rates to go up because they are popular with teenage boys, and therefore more likely to be driven fast, get in accidents, and get stolen for parts.

A good car for a teenage driver is usually some kind of a mid-sized 4-door sedan, like a Toyota Camry. The lower the trim level, the better. Most 4-door vehicles by Saturn were very cheap to insure, because they were popular with middle-aged women. Likewise, most mini-vans are cheap to insure for the same reason.

More info on auto rating symbols...
http://www.iso.com/Products/VINMASTER/Physical-Damage-Rating-Symbols.html

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Holy premium jump, Batman! new [Re: Waremonger]
#305837 - 03/16/13 10:51 AM

> Now that I'm with Progressive they have been dropping our premium every six months
> since my son hasn't had any accidents or driving violations so it's gone down quite a
> lot from when I first put him on the insurance. I doubt Geico would have done the
> same if I had stayed with them.

I'm about to drop progressive due to the shady outsourcing of homeowners to homesite, the shittiest insurance company ever. Tripled my premium on homeowners because "There was a statewide increase in rates"

Progressive auto followed with an increase in my auto because I no longer bundle.

Sucks, as progressive was a decent auto insurer. Giving Farmers a whirl.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: Holy premium jump, Batman! new [Re: DMala]
#305847 - 03/16/13 09:16 PM

Why doesn't your wife drive? Does she wear a burka too?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#305852 - 03/17/13 01:49 AM

> Why doesn't your wife drive? Does she wear a burka too?

I'm not the person you were asking, but my wife doesn't drive for several reasons:

• Our Sydney and Melbourne apartments are both located conveniently close to shops and public transport
  • She finds traffic stressful enough as a passenger and doesn't think she'd deal with it at all as a driver
  • She can't be bothered learning
  • If we drive to a family party, her uncles can't pressure me into drinking excessively because I'm always designated driver for her (which of course leads to her uncles telling me I should make her get her license so I can drink more with them)

She said she'll get her driveer's license when I buy her a Lamborghini. I think she thought I never would when she said that, but I'll show her one day

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Holy premium jump, Batman! new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#305866 - 03/17/13 06:57 AM

> She said she'll get her driveer's license when I buy her a Lamborghini. I think she
> thought I never would when she said that, but I'll show her one day

1. Find chef named Borghini
2. Pay to come up with new lamb dish
3. Learn to drink

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#305867 - 03/17/13 07:21 AM

> > Why doesn't your wife drive? Does she wear a burka too?
>
> I'm not the person you were asking, but my wife doesn't drive for several reasons:
>
>
> Our Sydney and Melbourne apartments are both located conveniently close to shops and
> public transport
> She finds traffic stressful enough as a passenger and doesn't think she'd deal with
> it at all as a driver
> She can't be bothered learning
> If we drive to a family party, her uncles can't pressure me into drinking excessively
> because I'm always designated driver for her (which of course leads to her uncles
> telling me I should make her get her license so I can drink more with them)
>
>
> She said she'll get her driveer's license when I buy her a Lamborghini. I think she
> thought I never would when she said that, but I'll show her one day

It's kind of the same thing here. When she lived at home, her family only had one car, so there wasn't much point in getting a license. Then she lived in Boston through college and several years after, where the T takes you pretty much anywhere you need to go (plus she had me to drive her around).

It's getting to be more of a problem now the we live in the 'burbs and have small children. I end up having to take time out of work to chauffeur her around on errands she could easily do by herself. The problem now is, now that she's let it go for so long, it's become this huge obstacle in her mind. I keep chipping away, hopefully someday she'll break down and get it.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Holy premium jump, Batman! new [Re: DMala]
#305869 - 03/17/13 07:47 AM

> It's getting to be more of a problem now the we live in the 'burbs and have small
> children. I end up having to take time out of work to chauffeur her around on errands
> she could easily do by herself. The problem now is, now that she's let it go for so
> long, it's become this huge obstacle in her mind. I keep chipping away, hopefully
> someday she'll break down and get it.

I doubt she's into playing video games but I'd wonder if she was able to mess around with some racing &/or driving games if that would give a her a bit of confidence to try the real thing..?

LEVEL-4

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Holy premium jump, Batman! new [Re: TriggerFin]
#305870 - 03/17/13 08:01 AM

> > She said she'll get her driveer's license when I buy her a Lamborghini. I think she
> > thought I never would when she said that, but I'll show her one day
>
> 1. Find chef named Borghini
> 2. Pay to come up with new lamb dish
> 3. Learn to drink

Oh I can drink plenty, I just have to do it when the party's at our place so there's no drive home to worry about Cool plan though, but I don't know anyone called Borghini.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#305886 - 03/17/13 06:50 PM

> Oh I can drink plenty, I just have to do it when the party's at our place so there's
> no drive home to worry about Cool plan though, but I don't know anyone called
> Borghini.

Too bad it's a Lamborghini. If it were a Ferrari, you could get an '80s vintage 308 GTS (think Magnum P.I.) for $20 - $40k.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: Holy premium jump, Batman! new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#305899 - 03/17/13 11:52 PM

> I doubt she's into playing video games but I'd wonder if she was able to mess around
> with some racing &/or driving games if that would give a her a bit of confidence to
> try the real thing..?

I could totally see that backfiring, and instead of getting confidence she'd be all paranoid some weapons van will show up, and out comes a G-6155 Interceptor squirting an oil slick that will send her careening into a tree.

Bad idea, Tom.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#305901 - 03/18/13 12:28 AM

> > I doubt she's into playing video games but I'd wonder if she was able to mess
> around
> > with some racing &/or driving games if that would give a her a bit of confidence to
> > try the real thing..?
>
> I could totally see that backfiring, and instead of getting confidence she'd be all
> paranoid some weapons van will show up, and out comes a G-6155 Interceptor squirting
> an oil slick that will send her careening into a tree.
>
> Bad idea, Tom.

Heh, possibly. Actually she doesn't get into racing games at all, more into drop puzzles and sometimes platformers on the side. She couldn't even play Portal, or watch someone playing Portal - made her feel sick. Speaking of games making people feel sick, my mum can play some racing games, but F-Zero for SNES always makes her feel sick.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Holy premium jump, Batman! new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#305909 - 03/18/13 02:27 AM

> I doubt she's into playing video games but I'd wonder if she was able to mess around
> with some racing &/or driving games if that would give a her a bit of confidence to
> try the real thing..?

I don't drive either. The funny thing is I though the same too and found two good ones.

The old one: http://www.3dfahrschule.de/uk_index.htm

The best one: http://www.3dinstructor.com/

OK, that last example is not the best one. But the text messages on the right are actually telling you what you're doing wrong.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 154 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3349