View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/05/13
Send PM

Removing health bar graphics etc. in "Street Fighter II"
#305648 - 03/12/13 04:03 PM

I'd like to do screenshots of the whole screen of "Street Fighter II" (specifically, sf2ua). And I don't want the health bars, score and all those text on the screen.
So, is there any way to remove or disable it? Maybe a tool to edit the graphics in the ROM?

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Removing health bar graphics etc. in "Street Fighter II" new [Re: DaRayu]
#305650 - 03/12/13 04:40 PM

> I'd like to do screenshots of the whole screen of "Street Fighter II" (specifically,
> sf2ua). And I don't want the health bars, score and all those text on the screen.
> So, is there any way to remove or disable it? Maybe a tool to edit the graphics in
> the ROM?

Cropping the images would be the easiest solution...

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Removing health bar graphics etc. in "Street Fighter II" new [Re: DMala]
#305651 - 03/12/13 04:47 PM

> > I'd like to do screenshots of the whole screen of "Street Fighter II"
> (specifically,
> > sf2ua). And I don't want the health bars, score and all those text on the screen.
> > So, is there any way to remove or disable it? Maybe a tool to edit the graphics in
> > the ROM?
>
> Cropping the images would be the easiest solution...

I'm sure he wants the whole background visible. But the question is why? Is he wanting to play it like this or is he wanting to snag a 'cleaned up' screen shot?

If by chance it's the latter then there are sites with that very thing.

gimmeh a min to google that. pfft he can do that if he needs to.

eta: My initial thought was doing something with cheats... Even using the *F4 key...?

*again, for getting a screen shot, not "hiding" it while playing.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (03/12/13 04:54 PM)

LEVEL-4

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

#305652 - 03/12/13 04:54 PM

You're not serious, are you?

> I'm sure he wants the whole background visible. But the question is why? Is he
> wanting to play it like this or is he wanting to snag a 'cleaned up' screen shot?
>
> If by chance it's the latter then there are sites with that very thing.

Yes, it's about the screenshots. I don't want to actually play it like that (except for putting the characters into the right position of course).

Images from the internet won't do. In "Street Fighter II", it's not just a normal background. Not only does the floor change with every camera position, the other objects in the background are also highly dependent on where the fighters are standing.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#305653 - 03/12/13 05:08 PM

> > I'd like to do screenshots of the whole screen of "Street Fighter II"
> (specifically,
> > sf2ua). And I don't want the health bars, score and all those text on the screen.
> > So, is there any way to remove or disable it? Maybe a tool to edit the graphics in
> > the ROM?
>

I think you missed the part where he said "whole screen". It won't be trivial as those graphics are drawn with sprites. All three tilemaps are used for parallax-scrolling backgrounds. (Some games display HUD with a tilemap and you can hide it by commenting a single line in MAME source.)

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#305655 - 03/12/13 05:47 PM

Wouldn't something like the MUGEN community have done this already? I'm not a fan of the program or its layout (even the later builds are still too 1994-DOS-game for my liking, and too much proprietary code and use of way-outdated data formats like 8-bit PCX files in place of PNG, or even SVG seeing that we're in the high-definition age), but they have done a lot for the 2D fighter community.

I'm not sure if they have added in the rocks/trees of Sagat's stage for example (trees obscure the fighters in SFII World Warrior but not in Champion Edition), but it's fairly trivial I'd imagine (I gather it's tied in with the floor/perspective).

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Did Final Alpha Burner have this option? new [Re: DaRayu]
#305657 - 03/12/13 06:17 PM

I don't remember if it did.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Phil Bennett
L'Emuchat
Reged: 04/20/04
Send PM

Re: Removing health bar graphics etc. in "Street Fighter II" new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#305658 - 03/12/13 06:20 PM

> I think you missed the part where he said "whole screen". It won't be trivial as
> those graphics are drawn with sprites. All three tilemaps are used for
> parallax-scrolling backgrounds. (Some games display HUD with a tilemap and you can
> hide it by commenting a single line in MAME source.)

Yeah, you'd need to patch out the code that writes the scores and status graphics to object RAM. Otherwise you could find the corresponding sprite numbers and filter them out in the driver's sprite drawing routines. Simple

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Removing health bar graphics etc. in "Street Fighter II" new [Re: Phil Bennett]
#305660 - 03/12/13 07:14 PM

> > I think you missed the part where he said "whole screen". It won't be trivial as
> > those graphics are drawn with sprites. All three tilemaps are used for
> > parallax-scrolling backgrounds. (Some games display HUD with a tilemap and you can
> > hide it by commenting a single line in MAME source.)
>
> Yeah, you'd need to patch out the code that writes the scores and status graphics to
> object RAM. Otherwise you could find the corresponding sprite numbers and filter them
> out in the driver's sprite drawing routines. Simple

Or you could edit the graphics roms so that the score and status graphics were transparent.

There are many ways to do it, but asking the question suggests that he won't know how to do them.

Edited by smf (03/12/13 07:15 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Removing health bar graphics etc. in "Street Fighter II" new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#305664 - 03/12/13 08:24 PM

> Wouldn't something like the MUGEN community have done this already? I'm not a fan of
> the program or its layout (even the later builds are still too 1994-DOS-game for my
> liking, and too much proprietary code and use of way-outdated data formats like 8-bit
> PCX files in place of PNG, or even SVG seeing that we're in the high-definition age),
> but they have done a lot for the 2D fighter community.

Yeah, it sounds to me like he plans to capture all the sprite frames of the fighters, and as far as I know people have done that for MUGEN many times over.

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Removing health bar graphics etc. in "Street Fighter II" new [Re: ]
#305669 - 03/12/13 09:51 PM

> Or you could edit the graphics roms so that the score and status graphics were
> transparent.
>
> There are many ways to do it, but asking the question suggests that he won't know how
> to do them.

That's right. I don't know how to edit ROMs. Isn't there some editor where you can change the graphics of the ROM? I know that this is pretty common with NES games where some emulators even have a built-in option for it. But what about MAME? Does something like that exist where you can see the graphics and just draw in them and, for example, make the life bar transparent?

> Yeah, it sounds to me like he plans to capture all the sprite frames of the fighters,
> and as far as I know people have done that for MUGEN many times over.

Making screenshots of the sprites would be the smallest problem since the game has a hidden option to display all fighters:
http://tcrf.net/Street_Fighter_II

In my case, it's not about having a sprite sheet of all the single objects in the game, but it's about capturing a real sequence from the real game, just without the status values. And with MUGEN, you can never know how authentic it is: Do they use the same camera work, do the fighters behave exactly the same etc.? MUGEN isn't the solution because it's just a program that tried to re-buid specific fighting game engines. But it's not the original "Street Fighter II" game. I want to be able to take screenshots from the ROM of the real game. A snapshot of the action, just without the status information.
So, I either need an option to disable sprite layers on the fly in MAME. Or I need a graphics editor where you can change the ROM graphics to make a copy that works without health bars and score etc.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#305681 - 03/13/13 03:01 AM

I did have a somewhat long post but thought I'd just ask this since the bulk of what would have been my question depended on it...

Are you wanting to get make panoramic screen shots of the stages?

I wouldn't think so since the ground scrolls, but I wasn't sure.

About not stealing/deriding from MUGEN (or grabbing from the internet) and how you say they can't be "trusted" (or something like that)... Well, personally, I'd think that whoever would rip graphics from SFII wouldn't go through the trouble of changing a few pixels here and there. That would be silly. It's easier to leave the graphics just as they are. I'd give it a 99% chance that a good number of background graphical rips are true to their sources. ....GIVEN, they are of the old stages. Usually, if something is changed -it's changed in a BIG way.

But I don't say all that to discourage you from doing what it is you're wanting to do. Just offering a possibly easier/simpler option. <:-]

Edited by Tomu Breidah (03/13/13 03:08 AM)

LEVEL-4

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Removing health bar graphics etc. in "Street Fighter II" new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#305695 - 03/13/13 08:11 AM

> Are you wanting to get make panoramic screen shots of the stages?

No. It's more about creating some comic-like images. No editing of the actual image data, just putting the characters in a certain position and making a screenshot:

But it would be necessary to remove everything that's just there for the player, i.e. the health bars, the timer and the score.

> I wouldn't think so since the ground scrolls, but I wasn't sure.

That would actually be pretty easy. In the hidden mode, you can see still images of every stage and there, you also see the layout of the floor as it looks if it spans over the whole stage.

> Well, personally, I'd think
> that whoever would rip graphics from SFII wouldn't go through the trouble of changing
> a few pixels here and there.

Still, I can't be sure if the camera works correctly with all the parallax scrolling and if the fighters really behave exactly like in the original game.
When I do screenshots, I always use the original game. When I want to do screenshots of "Super Mario Bros.", I will use a ROM of the real NES game, not some PC remake written by a fan. It doesn't matter how faithful it is, I just don't use it. And it's the same with "Street Fighter II": I want to use the original game and nothing else. If someone asks me how I did it, I don't want to answer: "Well, for this stage, I used a MUGEN file. And that fighter is from a spritesheet that I found somewhere on the internet." My works shall be: "That's indeed a real scene from the real game."

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 347 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4680