View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/05/13
Send PM

Choosing explicit LAY file
#304574 - 02/19/13 11:16 AM

When I use LAY files to display artwork, MAME always uses the file "default.lay" in the folder/zipfile that has the same name as the ROM. So, if I play sf2ua, MAME will automatically load "artwork\sf2ua\default.lay" (or "artwork\sf2\default.lay", the name of the parent).
Is there a way to explicitly choose such a file (or its folder/zipfile) through the command line options or mame.ini?
Something like:

mame sf2ua -lay mystuff
(which would take "artwork\mystuff\default.lay"

or

mame sf2ua -lay mystuff\layfile.lay
(which would take "artwork\mystuff\layfile.lay"

Something like this could be needed if you have one artwork for several games that still don't have anything to do with each other. Like if I play fighting games (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat), I want the same artwork, and if I play jump n runs, I want another.

Third Reich Fox
Let's hug some kittens!!!
Reged: 02/21/13
Loc: Next stop the pet shop
Send PM

Re: Choosing explicit LAY file new [Re: DaRayu]
#304774 - 02/22/13 08:34 PM

If i understand what you are saying correctly, you could just make a copy and change the name of the actual artwork file.

For example, if you wanted to use the artwork from Fantastic Journey for its clone game, Gokujyou Parodius, you would just change the file name from "fantjour" to "gokuparo"

If you wanted to use Street Fighter 2 artwork in Strikers 1945 for whatever mad reason, just rename the artwork file as "s1945"

Hope this helps

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Choosing explicit LAY file new [Re: Third Reich Fox]
#304924 - 02/26/13 10:55 AM

O.k., sure, this is of course always possible.

But unfortunately, my actual problem is something different:

I was asking this question because I tend to put all static MAME-related files into one folder.
So, "mame.exe", the config files and all the ROMS are at the same place. I don't put the additional files into sub folders "roms" or "cfg".
That means in the "mame.ini", there is the line "rompath .".

This way, I have all the files at the same location and have a complete overview over everything:
"pacman.cfg", "pacman.ini", "pacman.zip", "sf2ua.cfg", "sf2ua.ini", "sf2ua.zip"

Dynamic things, by the way, like save states or screenshots, go into a completely different folder that's not a sub folder of the MAME folder: "state_directory ..\Stuff".

Now, if it's possible at all, I want to put the artwork files into the same folder as well, without a sub directory "artworks".
But since the ROM files and the artwork files usually have the same name (e.g. "pacman.zip"), this wouldn't be possible. That's why I'm looking for a way to do something like this:

mame pacman -use_artwork pacman_artwork.zip

Is this possible? Or does MAME always map artwork files with ROM file names?

gkarnik
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/22/12
Send PM

#305734 - 03/13/13 11:44 PM

Have you tried combining the roms zip with the artwork zip?

I'm guessing the code to load the rom will use the zipfile and ignore the artwork while the code to load the layout art will again read the zipfile and ignore the rom images.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#305749 - 03/14/13 06:21 AM

> I was asking this question because I tend to put all static MAME-related files into
> one folder.
> So, "mame.exe", the config files and all the ROMS are at the same place. I don't put
> the additional files into sub folders "roms" or "cfg".
> That means in the "mame.ini", there is the line "rompath .".
>
> This way, I have all the files at the same location and have a complete overview over
> everything:
> "pacman.cfg", "pacman.ini", "pacman.zip", "sf2ua.cfg", "sf2ua.ini", "sf2ua.zip"

This is absurd. What possible legitimate reason could you have for not wanting to use folders?

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Choosing explicit LAY file new [Re: krick]
#305775 - 03/14/13 09:08 PM

> This is absurd. What possible legitimate reason could you have for not wanting to use
> folders?

Why is that absurd? If I use a rom, a cfg and an artwork folder, then all the things that belong together are separated:
The ROMs don't belong to each other. (Except maybe for the parent/clone stuff, but that one works with my version as well.) What does the "Pac-Man" ROM have to do with the "Street Fighter II" ROM? Nothing.
But what does belong together is the "Pac-Man" ROM, the "Pac-Man" configuration file and the "Pac-Man" artwork.
So, why should they be in three different locations? In this case, if I want to add or remove a game, I have to go to three folders to do something in them. If I don't use folders, I have the pacman.zip, the pacman.cfg and the pacman_artwork.zip all in one place. Sorting the games by name shows me everything that belongs together at once. Why should I have the files for one and the same game separated in many different folders?

> Have you tried combining the roms zip with the artwork zip?

That would be a workaround, but I'd like to keep the files the way they are. If I have to do this kind of stuff, I'll better take folders. I was just wondering if it is possible to direct the game to a specific artwork file that doesn't have the name of the ROM. But it seems like this option is not available.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 522 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1751