View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Captain Neo
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/05/13
Send PM

Running Duel Monitors with Different orientations
#303927 - 02/07/13 05:56 AM

I'm very new to MAME. Used it 10 years ago, and back into it. I have a virtua Pin, (3 monitor setup) and using it for my MAME as well with help of my dual X-arcade stick.

Hit a snag. Figured out how to go in the MAME.ini and rotate my monitor direction. I have 3 monitors. Main playfield (sideways) 42" (DISPLAY 1). Backbox 27" (normal)(display 3) and Display 17" (normal)(display 2).

I figured out I can display games to play on the backbox, by increasing my number of monitors to 3, and having my main as //.display 3. when I do this. it displays the game on all 3 monitors. Which is fine, but the monitor that is sideways (vertical), the game is sideways. I'd like to have it, so if it's going to be on all 3 monitors. I'd like the main large monitor to show the game in the right orientation, so we have the option to look at whatever screen we want when playing. Seems the rotate and rol feature will rol, rotate all 3 monitors, which would mess up the other one. Is there a way I can have rol/rotate settings for each individual monitor in MAME? So I don't mess up my hyperspin configuration.

http://www.captainneo.com

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Running Duel Monitors with Different orientations new [Re: Captain Neo]
#303928 - 02/07/13 06:20 AM

So where's the news in this? Looks like an ad for your pinball restoration business.

Captain Neo
MAME Fan
Send PM

#303929 - 02/07/13 06:31 AM

news for what? It forced me to put in a link to submit the post so I threw in my link, since didn't know what I was suppose to refer to. Sorry was my first post and this forum is a lot more complicated than my pinball forums I'm usually attending.

Edited by Captain Neo (02/07/13 06:33 AM)

Captain Neo
MAME Fan
Send PM

#303945 - 02/07/13 09:25 PM

I hope I explained this right. I guess my basic question is.

Is there a way I can add rotation or orientation options, per individual screens in the mame.ini file? or a setting in the Dos version of Mame where I can set it?

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Running Dual Monitors with Different orientations new [Re: Captain Neo]
#303946 - 02/07/13 09:45 PM

> I'm very new to MAME. Used it 10 years ago, and back into it. I have a virtua Pin, (3
> monitor setup) and using it for my MAME as well with help of my dual X-arcade stick.
>
> Hit a snag. Figured out how to go in the MAME.ini and rotate my monitor direction. I
> have 3 monitors. Main playfield (sideways) 42" (DISPLAY 1). Backbox 27"
> (normal)(display 3) and Display 17" (normal)(display 2).
>
> I figured out I can display games to play on the backbox, by increasing my number of
> monitors to 3, and having my main as //.display 3. when I do this. it displays the
> game on all 3 monitors. Which is fine, but the monitor that is sideways (vertical),
> the game is sideways. I'd like to have it, so if it's going to be on all 3 monitors.
> I'd like the main large monitor to show the game in the right orientation, so we have
> the option to look at whatever screen we want when playing. Seems the rotate and rol
> feature will rol, rotate all 3 monitors, which would mess up the other one. Is there
> a way I can have rol/rotate settings for each individual monitor in MAME? So I don't
> mess up my hyperspin configuration.

I don't think you can have per-monitor rotation settings, at least I don't know how to do it. What I would do with your setup is keep numscreens at 1, and set "screen" to \\.\DISPLAY3 (or whatever your best screen is). You can either play everything on that screen, or you could create a vertical.ini, override "screen", and pipe the vertical games to your vertically oriented monitor.

Captain Neo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Running Duel Monitors with Different orientations new [Re: DMala]
#303947 - 02/07/13 09:52 PM

is there a thread or how to section for that vertical thing your talking about. I read something somewhere about that. Because some games might be better on the playfield monitor. like gauntlet 2 and stuff. But not a big deal. How do I get it to only play on //.display3 and not have it on the other 2 monitors? it's not a huge deal if I can't. But right now it shows up on all 3 monitors. I'm guessing because i have num set to 3 and my game display is display 3. Which I have to keep as 3, because of my Visual pinball settings.

BadMouth
Arcade Racing Fan
Reged: 06/13/11
Send PM

#303948 - 02/07/13 09:55 PM

I don't think there is a way to do that, but there is a way to only have it display on the correctly oriented monitor.
(horizontal games on the back glass and vertical games on the playfield)

As was said, make a copy of mame.ini and rename it vertical.ini
Settings in that file will only affect vertical games.

Captain Neo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Running Duel Monitors with Different orientations new [Re: BadMouth]
#303950 - 02/07/13 10:20 PM

that seems easy enough. Nice to know. thanks for the tip. sucks I can't do it on both. Then as you play you can just look at whatever monitor you choose for every game. If it looks good on the main, use that. Ah well. I'm just happy it plays on the backbox.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#303952 - 02/07/13 11:23 PM

> is there a thread or how to section for that vertical thing your talking about. I
> read something somewhere about that. Because some games might be better on the
> playfield monitor. like gauntlet 2 and stuff. But not a big deal. How do I get it to
> only play on //.display3 and not have it on the other 2 monitors? it's not a huge
> deal if I can't. But right now it shows up on all 3 monitors. I'm guessing because i
> have num set to 3 and my game display is display 3. Which I have to keep as 3,
> because of my Visual pinball settings.

In config.txt in your MAME docs folder, it's the first section under "Configuration Options". Basically, you create a text file called vertical.ini, and copy in whatever settings from the main mame.ini that you want to override. Those settings will apply to every vertically oriented game. You can also do it for specific games by creating a file called .ini.

You need to set numscreens to 1 to have it display on only one monitor. I'm not sure I understand what Visual Pinball settings have to do with it. Visual PinMAME is a whole separate EXE, isn't it? I can't see how the INI files would be shared. I haven't messed around with Visual PinMAME in forever, though.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

#303955 - 02/07/13 11:38 PM

Not sure why people are having so much difficulty with this, but I've done it routinely. In the latest version of MAME, the screen rotation options are set in the [romname].cfg file in the CFG folder (by default). If your .INI file for a game is set up correctly to display multiple screens and assign specific views from the .LAY file to each screen, the rotation for each can be set using the regular MAME config menu (with game running, Tab Key > Video Options > Screen # > Rotation). This should save the screen rotation to the game's .CFG file.

That said, I don't know how you would do it as a default for ALL games, but for that to work, every artwork .LAY file would have to have the same set of view names--not practical.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Captain Neo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Running Duel Monitors with Different orientations new [Re: Nightvoice]
#303968 - 02/08/13 10:44 AM

I was just wondering if it was possible to have it play, on 3 monitors at the same time in different directions. Which seems to be no. Which is fine. just would have been nice to have every game play on my main monitor (vertical) and my backbox monitor (horizontal) and both be facing the player, so can watch whichever one you like. Not a biggie if it can't be done. I'll try that number of monitor thing to 1 and see if it takes away monitor 1 and 2 and just plays on 3.

Captain Neo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Running Duel Monitors with Different orientations new [Re: DMala]
#303997 - 02/09/13 06:45 AM

I tried setting my numdisplay to 1, and it will only show on display 1. Even tho I have //.display3 in my show line. I have to keep it at 3, or it won't acknowledge the 3rd monitor. So I guess i Have to have games running on all 3 at the same time. Don't see a way around it. i'm running the Dos Mame .143 or something like that. Whatever is on the mamedev site.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#304014 - 02/09/13 07:59 PM

> I was just wondering if it was possible to have it play, on 3 monitors at the same
> time in different directions.

[/edit never mind, dumb idea]

S

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 569 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1672