MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

H@P
Lurker in perpetuity
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Seattle area
Send PM

Fun reading for Code/Typing monkeys
#303898 - 02/06/13 05:14 PM

I seem to recall someone (MooglyGuy?) came up with something similar to this, but interesting reading nonetheless.

Read up here, via /..

H@P

drewcifer
One bad Mutha-(shut yo' mouth!)
Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Sweden
Send PM

Re: Fun reading for Code/Typing monkeys new [Re: H@P]
#303905 - 02/06/13 07:49 PM

> I seem to recall someone (MooglyGuy?) came up with something similar to this, but
> interesting reading nonetheless.
>
> Read up here, via /..
>
> H@P

Moogly had a good one, and I had a decent one. Funny thing is, ours both looked exactly like this person's. My colors on the grid lines and circles were even the same .

Also, that is the single easiest decoding job on the bits you'll ever see. We haven't run across anything that easy yet.

Andrew

MajorMalfunction
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/06/13
Send PM

Re: Fun reading for Code/Typing monkeys new [Re: drewcifer]
#303908 - 02/06/13 11:06 PM

Hi!

MAME came up so often in comments I thought I'd come looking for you guys, so it's funny that this is the first thread I find when I get here...

Interesting that our tools look the same... I guess there's only so many ways to skin a cat!

I'm trying hard to make improvements to rompar to make sure it can read not just the 'easy' stuff, and to make visual checking very intuitive. I guess I was lucky that the first device I looked at was so easy, but I've hadd success against some other less obvious images and I'd love to have a go at something that typically gets sent to Typing Monkeys...

BTW, as it happens, I'm a big MAME fan and have my own cocktail cabinet style machine at home.

Let me know if I can be of service!

cheers,
Adam/MM

Rockman
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/23/12
Send PM

Re: Fun reading for Code/Typing monkeys new [Re: MajorMalfunction]
#303915 - 02/07/13 12:43 AM

A very interesting work Adam. I'm sure you can help the project

Do you take your own microscope pictures too?

Regards!

Rockman.

Edited by Rockman (02/07/13 12:44 AM)

MajorMalfunction
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/06/13
Send PM

Re: Fun reading for Code/Typing monkeys new [Re: Rockman]
#303916 - 02/07/13 01:31 AM

Yes, my partner Zac Franken does the decapping and photographing. We've only got a fairly small setup, but he's a great engineer so is constantly building tools to improve what we can do - he's currently working on a squirting system so we can expose sections instead of disolving the whole chip. We also have a probe station so this means we'll be able to tap in and read EEPROMs etc.

drewcifer
Send PM

#303918 - 02/07/13 02:11 AM

> Yes, my partner Zac Franken does the decapping and photographing. We've only got a
> fairly small setup, but he's a great engineer so is constantly building tools to
> improve what we can do - he's currently working on a squirting system so we can
> expose sections instead of disolving the whole chip. We also have a probe station so
> this means we'll be able to tap in and read EEPROMs etc.

Very cool stuff, Adam! I've responded to the e-mail you sent me directly. Hopefully we'll be able to get some good stuff done in the future.

Glad you're a MAME fan too
Andrew

drewcifer
Send PM

#303919 - 02/07/13 02:15 AM

> I'm trying hard to make improvements to rompar to make sure it can read not just the
> 'easy' stuff, and to make visual checking very intuitive. I guess I was lucky that
> the first device I looked at was so easy, but I've hadd success against some other
> less obvious images and I'd love to have a go at something that typically gets sent
> to Typing Monkeys...

Oh, and the step that I had mentioned you got lucky with was the part where the recovered bits are converted from typed-in 0s and 1s into bytes. If I get permission to do so, I'll forward along some of the code we've used to convert the 0s and 1s into bytes.

We had one die where half of the bits were read forward, half read backward, all interleaved with one side rotated 180 degrees. It gets kinda' ridiculous .

Andrew

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 570 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1808