View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

Mechanical games and artwork.
#303646 - 02/02/13 03:55 AM

I know MAME is not designed to add artwork for game play. (as in 18 wheeler). Would there need to be a major change to MAME's core? I just thought that it would be nice to simulate gameplay for some of those games...If artwork could be found.

How much would MAME need to change?

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Mechanical games and artwork new [Re: Antny]
#303656 - 02/02/13 05:56 AM

>I know MAME is not designed to add artwork for game play. (as in 18 wheeler). Would
>there need to be a major change to MAME's core? How much would MAME need to change?

The led and the other flat screen stuff should now be possible and the non-motion artwork pieces could still be handled imo, but stuff like the scrolling background scenery that provides a simulation of a continuous road landscape is where the challenge begins. Maybe if the part itself can be scanned in a section by section stage then it would require one of the devs to update the artwork support output file for the imaged scan to appear as mimiced "continous" loop might be possible. Usually the stuff is on a small rotating disc that is spun around like a vinyl record when gameplay begins.

see misterbronzeage video of 18 Wheeler 1980 Midway Arcade Machine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMAmjXE4Els

> I just thought that it would be nice to simulate gameplay for some of those games...If artwork could be found.

gremlin trapshoot wall game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roRieYcPlLw

Trapshoot (gameplay)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N229Z2fY6fI

For wall games like Gremlin Trapshoot, it should now be possible, in case someone could carefully disassemble the section that has the display images and can carefully scan in that section, but it is something that might be on wip page for sometime because it is a multi board non-cpu game. Play MAME's pong emulation and then visualize Trapshoot clay images also going that slow. Nice artwork would be visually on the monitor while it takes a minute or two for clay output lamp to finally appear in rifle range. ;-)

That's what it would look like if Trapshoot ever gets supported in MAME.

And the layout code to run the visual lamp outputs would be an insane amount of work just to get all the details properly handled. Gremlin Trapshoot manual is online, I have manual too, and the lamps output technical page is overloaded and then some.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Mechanical games and artwork new [Re: gregf]
#303658 - 02/02/13 06:32 AM

> > I know MAME is not designed to add artwork for game play. (as in 18 wheeler). Would
> > there need to be a major change to MAME's core? How much would MAME need to change?
>
> The led and the other flat screen stuff should now be possible and the non-motion
> artwork pieces could still be handled imo, but stuff like the scrolling background
> scenery that provides a simulation of a continuous road landscape is where the
> challenge begins. Maybe if the part itself can be scanned in a section by section
> stage then it would require one of the devs to update the artwork support output file
> for the imaged scan to appear as mimiced "continous" loop might be possible. Usually
> the stuff is on a small rotating disc that is spun around like a vinyl record when
> gameplay begins.
>
>
> see misterbronzeage video of 18 Wheeler 1980 Midway Arcade Machine
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMAmjXE4Els
>
>
> > I just thought that it would be nice to simulate gameplay for some of those
> games...If artwork could be found.
>
> gremlin trapshoot wall game
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roRieYcPlLw
>
> Trapshoot (gameplay)
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N229Z2fY6fI
>
>
> For wall games like Gremlin Trapshoot, it should now be possible, in case someone
> could carefully disassemble the section that has the display images and can carefully
> scan in that section, but it is something that might be on wip page for sometime
> because it is a multi board non-cpu game. Play MAME's pong emulation and then
> visualize Trapshoot clay images also going that slow. Nice artwork would be visually
> on the monitor while it takes a minute or two for clay output lamp to finally appear
> in rifle range. ;-)
>
> That's what it would look like if Trapshoot ever gets supported in MAME.
>
> And the layout code to run the visual lamp outputs would be an insane amount of work
> just to get all the details properly handled. Gremlin Trapshoot manual is online, I
> have manual too, and the lamps output technical page is overloaded and then some.

Would 'scrolling land scenery' and spinning slot machine reels be similar in any way? Might not be as far as we think.

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/10
Loc: Brasil
Send PM

Re: Mechanical games and artwork new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#303682 - 02/02/13 10:43 PM

These games would look awesome in Mame. If the spinning slot machine reels system can be used for this, the next problem for a game as 18 wheeler, would be to give it perspective without just editing the artwork.

Antny
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Mechanical games and artwork new [Re: Ramirez]
#303684 - 02/02/13 11:12 PM

>the next problem for a game as 18 wheeler, would be to give it perspective without just editing the artwork.

Yes getting the artwork to look "warped" would be a challange (maybe HLSL could be incorporated). I was wondering how much of an overhaul MAME would need to see moving parts and stuff.

I see so much stuff added to MAME that can eventually be playable/simulated.

Edited by Antny (02/03/13 12:05 AM)

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: Mechanical games and artwork new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#303792 - 02/04/13 04:28 PM

> > see misterbronzeage video of 18 Wheeler 1980 Midway Arcade Machine
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMAmjXE4Els

he lurks on here i believe. he's giving me some empty cabinets in the near future to, uh, restore.

Antny
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Mechanical games and artwork new [Re: yaggy]
#303807 - 02/04/13 08:35 PM

>he lurks on here i believe. he's giving me some empty cabinets in the near future to, uh, restore.

Intersting. Do you know what cabinets you may be getting? Mechanical games? Anything worth scanning?

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Send PM

Re: Mechanical games and artwork new [Re: Antny]
#303812 - 02/04/13 10:22 PM

they're gutted completely. only the side art remains.
one's a Head-On, the other some B&W baseball game I think.

jibmums
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/24/09
Send PM

#303813 - 02/04/13 10:45 PM

Are you planning to scan the sidearts and bezel of the Head-On? If so, I'd love to get a copy for a virtual model I will be working on.

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Send PM

Re: Mechanical games and artwork new [Re: jibmums]
#303849 - 02/05/13 07:45 PM

No scanning ability here. And the only thing intact would be the side art, which looked flawless for a 1979 machine. Otherwise, it's been stripped to the bare wooden shell.

jibmums
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/24/09
Send PM

#304251 - 02/13/13 08:58 PM

> No scanning ability here. And the only thing intact would be the side art, which
> looked flawless for a 1979 machine. Otherwise, it's been stripped to the bare wooden
> shell.

Perfect sideart, just what I need! But no scanning ability!! (sobs inconsolably)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 298 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2037