View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Twoflower
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/13
Send PM

Question about missing HLSL options...
#303261 - 01/26/13 02:50 AM

I hate to be That Guy who registers an account just to beg for help, but... I've been googling and searching the forums and trying to figure out what's wrong with my MAME setup and having no luck at all.

I've got the latest version of MAME64 and MAME64UI running on my PC, with some snazzy HLSL options for a pincushion screen and scanlines and so on to make my precise LCD look like a crummy arcade monitor. It's nice!

But... when I copied my MAME directory over to a different computer, all files intact, I don't have my scanlines and such enabled anymore. In fact, all the options I normally get under Slider Controls are simply missing. There's one screenful of options and nothing relating to pincushions and so on.

Both are running NVidia cards (580 vs 660... the 660 is the one which is missing Slider Controls) and Win7 64 bit. The INI files and settings are all identical, but one has tons of Slider Controls and the other only has a handful of bare bones ones.

I've looked around for "missing slider controls" and so on, with no luck. Any idea what could be causing this?

Any help appreciated!

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

Re: Question about missing HLSL options... new [Re: Twoflower]
#303262 - 01/26/13 02:56 AM

Try running the direct x end user runtime web installer from microsoft. Default Windows installations don't include the various updates that have been made, and MAME uses some of those for HLSL.

Twoflower
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question about missing HLSL options... new [Re: Reznor007]
#303263 - 01/26/13 03:01 AM

True, this is a fresh-out-of-the-box PC I'm trying to install it on. (A new HTPC. I'm rigging it up with emulators for big screen gaming fun.)

So Mame will omit items from the menus that won't apply to your DirectX version? Interesting. I'll give it a shot; thanks for your help. Been using Mame for... what is it, like 10 years now? and hadn't updated until recently, now I'm eager to try out the new options.

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#303268 - 01/26/13 03:17 AM

Actually I think the recent SVN builds are missing the slider control that used to be accessed w/ the '`' key. [above tab on US keyboards] when you had HLSL enabled.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

Twoflower
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question about missing HLSL options... new [Re: John IV]
#303269 - 01/26/13 03:23 AM

It worked!

Getting the DX runtime installed restored my options -- in fact the settings I copied over from the original computer loaded up instantly. Hooray! My expensive 1080p high definition television now looks like an incredibly aging and decrepit CRT tube!

Thanks a bundle. Well! Now I have a shiny mameworld forum account. Time to look around and participate a bit, I think.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#303270 - 01/26/13 03:47 AM

> My expensive 1080p high
> definition television now looks like an incredibly aging and decrepit CRT tube!

That seems to be a theme of the modern age. We grunge up our 24-bit, 192kHz, hi res audio to get that analog sound, and we run our pristine, 15 megapixel images through filters so they look like washed out, 1970s Polaroids, too.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#303287 - 01/26/13 01:33 PM

Wait.. you aren't Stefan Gagne, are you? If so, it's been a few years since I last saw you around.

Yeah, MAME has fallback options. I know it'll fallback from Direct3D to DirectDraw, and from there to GDI if you're not meeting the requirements to run whatever display mode you're set up for.

I'm not entirely sure if HLSL will fallback*, though, but it probably does. A very big tip for you-- get a copy of DXWebSetup and put it on a USB stick. Run it periodically to keep your machine up to date. Microsoft's handling of DirectX 9.0c updates has been a complete nightmare and looks like it'll continue to be a nightmare for years to come.

If you were on a brand new Win7/8 install, you may not have DirectX9 installed (whereas DX10/11 are separate and don't replace X9, unlike X9 replacing X1-8) yet, and MAME'll still run in that state-- just not as well as if you actually have everything up to date.

Hope the technical info helps.

*It's a little bit of a pain to actually test that. I'd probably have to set something up to be using the shaders so HLSL initialization fails on MAME startup..

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#303288 - 01/26/13 01:36 PM

Win7 and Win8 fresh installs do NOT have DirectX9 installed. You must install DX9 manually. This usually happens automatically when installing PC games.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

Twoflower
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question about missing HLSL options... new [Re: Firehawke]
#303312 - 01/26/13 10:45 PM

Yep, I'm Stefan. I was active around here years ago, then I got distracted from MAMEing for a few years; building a new HTPC I decided to look into it again, but I think my old account croaked or something.

I've got it working now, and you're all right -- the fallback options were why only some slider controls were present. Using a runtime installer of DX put everything back to rights on the fresh machine.

Now I'm trying to get XBMC to properly scrape/index the games... there's two ways to do it and neither completely work (ROM collection browser or advanced launcher) so I'm doing a lot of editing by hand. Ouch. But the emulator itself is working fine and looks nicely horrible, just as it should.

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

#303322 - 01/27/13 04:17 AM

> I hate to be That Guy who registers an account just to beg for help, but... I've been
> googling and searching the forums and trying to figure out what's wrong with my MAME
> setup and having no luck at all.
>
> But... when I copied my MAME directory over to a different computer, all files
> intact, I don't have my scanlines and such enabled anymore. In fact, all the options
> I normally get under Slider Controls are simply missing. There's one screenful of
> options and nothing relating to pincushions and so on.
> I've looked around for "missing slider controls" and so on, with no luck. Any idea
> what could be causing this?
>
> Any help appreciated!

This is a regression as of maybe http://git.redump.net/mame/commit/?id=948b90dd89471ce57af139a2b214860fd1205606 on January 13th 2013. It has NOT been fixed in svn as of Today, January 26th 2013.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#303324 - 01/27/13 05:40 AM

Ah, so you're going that route? Good news: I've been down that route in the last month or two, and I can answer SOME questions.

Now the bad news-- RCB is *really* shaky. XBMC was never really designed to do what RCB is making it do, and you may experience headaches of various sorts.

For instance, some emulators won't bring XBMC back to the foreground on exit without extra effort. That one's a real pain if you don't have a keyboard on your HTPC. The one that kills my attempt right now? XBMC seems to be blocking MAME from using shaders for HLSL, so I actually had to set up an alternate config file with HLSL disabled for XBMC launching.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Twoflower
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: HTPCs, XBMC, HLSL, etc. etc. new [Re: Firehawke]
#303328 - 01/27/13 07:41 AM

Yeah, RCB did not rock my world. Had a tendency to crash, scrape the wrong info, and generally Not Work.

At the moment I'm using Advanced Launcher, and it likes MAME just fine. HLSL works A-OK with it. It doesn't scrape for jack so I gotta manually rename everything, but as long as it WORKS I can deal. I've even got my 360 controller working as a controller for both the XBMC frontend and the emulators.

I am having a problem with the XBMC screensaver trying to kick in during gameplay, mind you... minor but annoying. Especially when it faded me to black in the middle of my fight with Bald Bull in Punch Out.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Re: Question about missing HLSL options... new [Re: Reznor007]
#303790 - 02/04/13 03:27 PM

> Try running the direct x end user runtime web installer from microsoft

Thanks for that tip. I've reloaded the OS a few times and forgot this minor detail. Now I know why my screens never looked as good as the screenshots folks have posted.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 308 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2726