MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

What is the proper way to backup music cd's?
#302955 - 01/21/13 02:49 AM

I have always been under the assumption that using EAC with LAME was the best way to make mp3s. I recently discovered that using the AMAZON cloud player you can scan your music library and it will copy superior quality mp3s to your cloud account rather than upload your copy. I've only played with it for a bit but it's database seems pretty limited or I'm doing it wrong.

Just wondering what does everyone else do?, think?, settings preferred???

There is no law in the arena

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: What is the proper way to backup music cd's? new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#302956 - 01/21/13 03:05 AM

Ripping to flac is the best way. It's lossless.

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Send PM

Re: What is the proper way to backup music cd's? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#302957 - 01/21/13 03:13 AM

But you can't make an mp3 with FLAC right?

All the discs are mint just ripping once with EAC and LAME for mp3s and doing an image with EAC.

I'm slowly buying all the cd's I owned and thrashed back in the day, many of which are hard to find close to good condition at a reasonable price.

I want to use the mp3s in my car so that is why I question the FLAC mp3 thing. The discs themselves should never be played again unless to get another rip.

I quess my real question might have been is the AMAZON "Superior quality" copy REALLY the superior version?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#302958 - 01/21/13 03:56 AM

> But you can't make an mp3 with FLAC right?

Yeah you can convert flac to mp3.

> All the discs are mint just ripping once with EAC and LAME for mp3s and doing an
> image with EAC.

But where are you putting the image? On your hd? If you used flac instead you would use less hd space and have the same quality, no loss. The compression it uses is like zip but optimized for audio. When you convert a flac back to wav to burn to cd it is the exact wav file from the disc.

> I'm slowly buying all the cd's I owned and thrashed back in the day, many of which
> are hard to find close to good condition at a reasonable price.
>
> I want to use the mp3s in my car so that is why I question the FLAC mp3 thing. The
> discs themselves should never be played again unless to get another rip.

For backing up a perfect copy on your hard drive and having it playable on your computer in mint quality, use flac. The best program a few years ago was this, not sure what is best now.
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

> I quess my real question might have been is the AMAZON "Superior quality" copy REALLY
> the superior version?

If it's an mp3 there is not much you can do with it other than using the latest codecs and the higher bitrate options. That's about it.

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Send PM

#302961 - 01/21/13 04:18 AM

Thank You, Smitdogg.

That was exactly the kind of input I was hoping for.

Anyone else want to chime in with any pro's, con's, anything?

Much Appreciated!

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#302963 - 01/21/13 04:46 AM

Flac is the way to go. If I had it to do over I would use flac. At this point 600+ cds I am in no hurry to reconvert... I just picked the top MP3 rates long ago when I did not have the HD space for it.

If you got the HD space use Flac for backup. Then keep a down converted mp3(320vbr+jointaudio)/AAC/OGG set for everything else.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#302966 - 01/21/13 05:20 AM

> Ripping to flac is the best way. It's lossless.

Not quite - you won't preserve pre-gap content like hidden tracks, index marks, non-standard time count, and other mastering quirks that some discs include. The only way to preserve that kind of thing is to rip to bin/toc with something like cdrdao.

On a slightly different tack, I believe I have one CD that's encoded with HDCD. Is there any software that will let me convert this to FLAC/AAC properly? (i.e. doing the HDCD expansion from 16 to 20 bits as opposed to just treating it as 16-bit PCM and getting peak distortion and noise)

Surgeville
Occasional Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

#302973 - 01/21/13 06:50 AM

> Thank You, Smitdogg.
>
> That was exactly the kind of input I was hoping for.
>
> Anyone else want to chime in with any pro's, con's, anything?
>
> Much Appreciated!

I've converted my collection using WMA lossless. I know nothing about the different formats though. I just knew that I wanted lossless and Windows Media Player had the option. That was MANY years ago, and I've been very happy. Now I just need the 1tb Swiss Army Knife so I can keep my lossless collection with me in my pocket.

Waremonger
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: What is the proper way to backup music cd's? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#302975 - 01/21/13 09:34 AM

> > Ripping to flac is the best way. It's lossless.
>
> Not quite - you won't preserve pre-gap content like hidden tracks, index marks,
> non-standard time count, and other mastering quirks that some discs include. The only
> way to preserve that kind of thing is to rip to bin/toc with something like cdrdao.

I ripped my CD'S using Wavpak (lossless) which generally has better compression than FLAC but mostly I used it because it allows ripping the entire CD as one file and embedding of the cue sheet to preserve the disc structure.

I used to use EAC with the REACT script but last I checked a few years ago REACT wasn't being developed anymore and EAC was on life support.

I took a look at dbPowerAmp but it had a shortcoming in that you couldn't rip to WAV/FLAC/WavPak and also rip to MP3 (via LAME) in one step. With dbPowerAmp it's a multi-step process. That's why I would use REACT (w/EAC) - I could rip the entire CD as one file, verify it against the Accuraterip database and then compress the WAV to WavPak (embedding the cue sheet into the lossless compressed file) and then compress the songs individually with MP3 (via LAME) for my MP3 player. REACT would automate the entire process so all you had to do was put the CD in the drive and make sure the info pulled from the CDDB was good.

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

#302981 - 01/21/13 02:20 PM

"On a slightly different tack, I believe I have one CD that's encoded with HDCD. Is there any software that will let me convert this to FLAC/AAC properly? (i.e. doing the HDCD expansion from 16 to 20 bits as opposed to just treating it as 16-bit PCM and getting peak distortion and noise)"

Ripping it to FLAC stores it properly by default. If you playback a HDCD encoded FLAC file through Foobar2000 it will pickup the HDCD stuff and play it back. It also tells you what HDCD features the track uses.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: What is the proper way to backup music cd's? new [Re: Reznor007]
#302986 - 01/21/13 04:18 PM

> Ripping it to FLAC stores it properly by default. If you playback a HDCD encoded FLAC
> file through Foobar2000 it will pickup the HDCD stuff and play it back. It also tells
> you what HDCD features the track uses.

That's not what I want. I want to decode it to linear PCM so I can play or re-encode the resulting file with things that aren't HDCD-aware. (I don't like HDCD in principle - sacrificing resolution to get a bit more dynamic range and causing peak distortion on standard equipment isn't a trade-off I support. Sucks that there are a bunch of CDs mastered as HDCD that don't mention it on the packaging, too.)

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

#303024 - 01/22/13 12:38 AM

Actually with the right output plugins I think you can use it to create 20/24bit FLAC files with the decoded information. You might check on their forums for more info.

Gemini
Loc: Georgia
Send PM

Re: What is the proper way to backup music cd's? new [Re: Waremonger]
#303117 - 01/23/13 05:29 PM

> I ripped my CD'S using Wavpak (lossless) which generally has better compression than
> FLAC

I've always used FLAC because it seemed to be the most popular.
I didn't realize that there were so many other lossless codecs:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Lossless_comparison

Mosquito2001
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/19/06
Loc: Belgium
Send PM

#303309 - 01/26/13 10:14 PM

> > Ripping it to FLAC stores it properly by default. If you playback a HDCD encoded
> FLAC
> > file through Foobar2000 it will pickup the HDCD stuff and play it back. It also
> tells
> > you what HDCD features the track uses.
>
> That's not what I want. I want to decode it to linear PCM so I can play or re-encode
> the resulting file with things that aren't HDCD-aware. (I don't like HDCD in
> principle - sacrificing resolution to get a bit more dynamic range and causing peak
> distortion on standard equipment isn't a trade-off I support. Sucks that there are a
> bunch of CDs mastered as HDCD that don't mention it on the packaging, too.)

You need sox: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sox
I used it a couple of times to convert 24bit 192k wavs to conventional 16bit 44.1k flac without distortion or clipping (you'll most probably have to play with negative gains).

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 88 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1580