MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Kano11
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/30/11
Send PM

So does mame and other emulators work fine on Windows 8 ?
#302780 - 01/18/13 01:07 AM

This question might have been asked before but here goes.

So does Mame and other popular emu's like mess,pcsx2,Model 2 emulator v1.0,Dolphin,DEMUL,nullDC,gens,zsnes work just fine with windows 8 ?

I don't have 8 yet but was wondering. There are some older emus that have not been updated in a long time, was wondering about that too.

If they do work is there any pros and cons using them with 8 ?

thanks

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

MAME and MESS running fine here. new [Re: Kano11]
#302781 - 01/18/13 01:26 AM

Haven't had a problem so far.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Kano11
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/30/11
Send PM

Re: MAME and MESS running fine here. new [Re: Dullaron]
#302785 - 01/18/13 01:40 AM

I thought someone said in the past that MS would make it so that not just any program would work with Windows 8, it would basicly be restrictive of certain programs.

So any pros and cons for using windows 8 as the main pc for emulators in general ? thanks

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: MAME and MESS running fine here. new [Re: Kano11]
#302787 - 01/18/13 02:05 AM

> I thought someone said in the past that MS would make it so that not just any program
> would work with Windows 8, it would basicly be restrictive of certain programs.
>
> So any pros and cons for using windows 8 as the main pc for emulators in general ?
> thanks

I think you're confused with Windows 8 RT which is only for ARM devices, and such can't run PC code.

Well, other than Windows 8 being a con itself there's no real issue, I suppose.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: So does mame and other emulators work fine on Windows 8 ? new [Re: Kano11]
#302832 - 01/18/13 06:14 PM

Yes. Every game and emulator I've tried works fine on 8, and I've built MAME and MESS on 8 no problems as well.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: MAME and MESS running fine here. new [Re: Kano11]
#302834 - 01/18/13 06:24 PM

> I thought someone said in the past that MS would make it so that not just any program
> would work with Windows 8, it would basicly be restrictive of certain programs.

It's restrictive of programs sold in the Microsoft Store, but only to the extent the Google Play Android store is; there's already a Metro-ized version of SNES9x in the MS Store for instance.

The ARM version of Win8 (officially "WinRT") is significantly more restricted, but that's not a problem for x86/x64.

> So any pros and cons for using windows 8 as the main pc for emulators in general ?
> thanks

The pros are you're up to date, the OS itself uses less memory and boots faster than 7, and you have access to future versions of DirectX which emulators and games will likely see improvements from using. And while it's not something that comes up much, the new task manager in 8 is fricking amazing.

The cons are basically dealing with the new interface and start screen. If you're heavily tied to navigating the start menu with the mouse, then the new interface will be problematic for you (although there are third-party addons that give you the start menu back). If, otoh, you're in the power-user habit of pressing Win, typing the first few letters of what you want, and hitting Enter, that usage pattern works just as well on 8 as it has going back to XP.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 552 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2012