MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Vintagegamelover
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/03/13
Send PM

New Operating System (For those that like to try new systems, or programmers)
#301876 - 01/03/13 11:54 PM

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to turn everyone on to a new free open-source operating system. Some of you might know about it already. It's called Haiku (Its free, give it a try, download and follow the installation instructions). It is still a beta right now but a full version will be released in the future. It isn't another Unix-based/Linux port and it isn't a windows clone. For those of you that do a lot with multimedia files, it is great for that. (I was able to open every format right out of the box, FLV, MPEG, MP4, MKV and others.) Give it a try! And for those of you that can program feel free to join in and help us to program for it if you wish.)
Link is below:

https://www.haiku-os.org/

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: New Operating System (For those that like to try new systems, or programmers) new [Re: Vintagegamelover]
#301896 - 01/04/13 02:25 AM

> Hello everyone,
>
> I just wanted to turn everyone on to a new free open-source operating system. Some of
> you might know about it already. It's called Haiku (Its free, give it a try, download
> and follow the installation instructions). It is still a beta right now but a full
> version will be released in the future. It isn't another Unix-based/Linux port and it
> isn't a windows clone. For those of you that do a lot with multimedia files, it is
> great for that. (I was able to open every format right out of the box, FLV, MPEG,
> MP4, MKV and others.) Give it a try! And for those of you that can program feel free
> to join in and help us to program for it if you wish.)
> Link is below:
>
> https://www.haiku-os.org/

Is it just cynicism? I see these things:

Quote:

I was able to open every format

Meaning, "I've just tried this out," and

Quote:

join in and help us

Meaning, "This is my product I'm promoting here."
The pairing of the two leaves me with a sense of deceptive marketing, even if the product is great and free. I want to run away from it, but then, I'm not the target audience anyway, so I'm already not there.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: New Operating System (For those that like to try new systems, or programmers) new [Re: TriggerFin]
#301900 - 01/04/13 02:51 AM

> Meaning, "This is my product I'm promoting here."
> The pairing of the two leaves me with a sense of deceptive marketing, even if the
> product is great and free. I want to run away from it, but then, I'm not the target
> audience anyway, so I'm already not there.

I doubt it's "his" project. Haiku is an open-source BeOS clone, and it's been around for years. He doesn't seem to even realise it's a BeOS clone, so he's probably just some kid who thinks he's edgy for using an alternate OS, and thinks he's sticking it to the man or helping the resistance by trying to recruit contributors.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: New Operating System (For those that like to try new systems, or programmers) new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#301902 - 01/04/13 04:20 AM

> I doubt it's "his" project. Haiku is an open-source BeOS clone, and it's been around
> for years. He doesn't seem to even realise it's a BeOS clone, so he's probably just
> some kid who thinks he's edgy for using an alternate OS, and thinks he's sticking it
> to the man or helping the resistance by trying to recruit contributors.

I kind of like the idea of another OS. BeOS was kind of cool back in the day, and it seems like everything that's not Windows these days is built off of *nix one way or the other. With a new OS, though, it's always the chicken-and-egg problem. There's no point to a new OS if you can't do anything useful with it, but developers aren't going to write apps for an OS with no users.

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

Re: New Operating System (For those that like to try new systems, or programmers) new [Re: TriggerFin]
#301928 - 01/04/13 02:05 PM

> The pairing of the two leaves me with a sense of deceptive marketing, even if the
> product is great and free. I want to run away from it...

I felt the same at first, but his carefully selected username put me at ease.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Agreed. *nt* new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#301956 - 01/04/13 09:54 PM

> I doubt it's "his" project. Haiku is an open-source BeOS clone, and it's been around
> for years. He doesn't seem to even realise it's a BeOS clone, so he's probably just
> some kid who thinks he's edgy for using an alternate OS, and thinks he's sticking it
> to the man or helping the resistance by trying to recruit contributors.

Some of us have been dabbling with alternative OS's for a rather long time.

- Stiletto

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 405 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1817