MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

Somewhat O.T. need advice storing game cartridges
#301808 - 01/02/13 08:30 PM

I have numerous gaming console systems and 100's of game cartridges I would like to
store and I would like to know the safest way to store these. Everything from the
intellivision on up to the last generation cartridge consoles.

I would hate to corrupt all my games due to improper storage but I figured this would
be the place to ask seeing how the cartridges use rom chips. Any help would greatly
be appreciated !

Only here to annoy...

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

Re: Somewhat O.T. need advice storing game cartridges new [Re: Renegade]
#301812 - 01/02/13 09:17 PM

If your games are in boxes you would need clear box protectors. They are available online. They also can be used for loose games as well. The storage box should be a rugged plastic like a Rubbermaid or sterilte. If you are planning permanent store like in a facility or garage please wrap the consoles or any loose games with bubblewrap. This will ensure the games to be safe. Oh and get a good sealed box. Just in case of floods and leaks. Good luck.

http://www.videogameboxprotectors.com/

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#301815 - 01/02/13 11:28 PM

> I have numerous gaming console systems and 100's of game cartridges I would like to
> store and I would like to know the safest way to store these. Everything from the
> intellivision on up to the last generation cartridge consoles.
>
> I would hate to corrupt all my games due to improper storage but I figured this
> would
> be the place to ask seeing how the cartridges use rom chips. Any help would greatly
> be appreciated !

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that cartridges are reasonably durable, especially compared to something like CDs or magnetic media. Avoid temperature extremes, excessive humidity, and direct sunlight, keep them in some kind of sleeve or plastic box to protect against dust, and you should be good.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#301826 - 01/03/13 02:58 AM

> I have numerous gaming console systems and 100's of game cartridges I would like to
> store and I would like to know the safest way to store these. Everything from the
> intellivision on up to the last generation cartridge consoles.
>
> I would hate to corrupt all my games due to improper storage but I figured this
> would
> be the place to ask seeing how the cartridges use rom chips. Any help would greatly
> be appreciated !

Humidity and temperature cycling are your worst enemies. Avoid both and you should be good.

If you live near saltwater, seal them as tight as you can in whatever container you can.

Waremonger
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

#301847 - 01/03/13 10:26 AM

I keep all my systems and cartridges sealed in Rubber Maid bins and have them stored in a closet in a spare bedroom. No humidity, no UV exposure, and very minor temperature variations. So far I haven't experienced a bad cartridge, CD, or system. Not that I know of anyway :-)

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

#301866 - 01/03/13 08:09 PM

Thanks To ALL of you.

Much appreciated and I will follow your guidlines. Yep I figured
rubbermaid was a certainty

Only here to annoy...

mw
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/01/07
Send PM

#301986 - 01/05/13 06:47 AM

> Thanks To ALL of you.
>
> Much appreciated and I will follow your guidlines. Yep I figured
> rubbermaid was a certainty

Don't forget to place some of those moisture absorbing packs - the ones labeled "silica gel - do not eat" - inside the packages before sealing. A well sealed box that has traces of moisture inside will encourge corrosion if left alone long enough.

If you're fanatic about it, you could displace the air (80% nitrogen - 20% oxygen) inside the box with 100% nitrogen. But that's impractical unless you are leaving behind a time capsule for historical purposes.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Somewhat O.T. need advice storing game cartridges new [Re: mw]
#301992 - 01/05/13 08:31 AM

> If you're fanatic about it, you could displace the air (80% nitrogen - 20% oxygen)
> inside the box with 100% nitrogen. But that's impractical unless you are leaving
> behind a time capsule for historical purposes.

Good grief, he's storing old video games, not an original copy of the US Constitution.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Somewhat O.T. need advice storing game cartridges new [Re: DMala]
#301997 - 01/05/13 04:12 PM

> > If you're fanatic about it, you could displace the air (80% nitrogen - 20% oxygen)
> > inside the box with 100% nitrogen. But that's impractical unless you are leaving
> > behind a time capsule for historical purposes.
>
> Good grief, he's storing old video games, not an original copy of the US
> Constitution.

You're right...he should probably take a few more precaution with those carts...

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 465 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1534