Pages: 1

Alexis B.
Historian
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Cannes, FRANCE
Send PM

History.dat 1.48 for MAME, MESS and UME
#300807 - 12/17/12 11:45 PM

The upcoming History.dat 1.48 will covers not only MAME but also MESS and UME 0.148.

A beta version is now downloadable =>
http://www.arcade-history.com/index.php?page=download

For now, only SVN builds of QMC2 supports the new version of the file.
Available here: http://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=12

How to use it in QMC2-MAME/MESS/UME:

Unpack the History.dat file in the ./qmc2/data/cat/ directory.

Then, go in Tool/Options, go on the Files/Directories tab and activate the "Game Info DB" & "Software Info DB" options.

Close the windows, then do a Game/Reload and enjoy the History on the History.dat tab.

For Software lists history, go on the Software List tab
and click on the "Toggle Detailed Software Information" option.

Now enjoy the History.dat on the "Software Info" tab.

Information submissions: All entries are editables directly at arcade-history.com. I'm now adding a maximum of entries from MESS (Machines AND Softwares). The History.dat is extracted from the online database.

Information for frontend authors:

The main format don't change, MAME & MESS machine information are stored under $info=romname,romname1,romname2,

The MESS software lists are stored in $softwarelistname=romname,romname1,romname2,
(I.E. : $nes=rockman3,)

See my collection: here

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: History.dat 1.48 for MAME, MESS and UME new [Re: Alexis B.]
#300808 - 12/17/12 11:50 PM

Wonderful post and work. Thank You so much

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#300853 - 12/18/12 10:29 AM

Is this meant to replace sysinfo.dat ?

If so, I will consider adding it to messui.

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#300854 - 12/18/12 11:49 AM

d'oh, I was working on something similar for MESS softlist games through projectMESS...
so I have a couple of questions: are you covering all systems with software lists? and are you going to add them to http://www.arcade-history.com/ ?

if so, it would be useless to duplicate the effort, and I would simply submit all the data I have for SMS, GameGear and NES to your wesbite.

let me know

etabeta
Send PM

Re: History.dat 1.48 for MAME, MESS and UME new [Re: Robbbert]
#300855 - 12/18/12 11:49 AM

it seems to refer to software list items, not to emulated systems...

Alexis B.
Historian
Send PM

Re: History.dat 1.48 for MAME, MESS and UME new [Re: etabeta]
#300856 - 12/18/12 12:12 PM

Yes, the database will covers every systems supported by MESS, including Software Lists AND Machines information.

Here are some advanced examples:
Atari 2600: http://www.arcade-history.com/index.php?page=database&listtypes=54
Saturn: http://www.arcade-history.com/index.php?page=database&listtypes=42
Famicom: http://www.arcade-history.com/index.php?page=database&listtypes=37

Consoles: http://www.arcade-history.com/index.php?page=database&listtypes=125
Computers: http://www.arcade-history.com/index.php?page=database&listtypes=126
Others machines: http://www.arcade-history.com/index.php?page=database&listtypes=127

Edit: If you are motivated, I can give you an admin access to work directly on the database (instead of with pending submissions system). Let me know if you are interested.

Edited by Alexis B. (12/18/12 12:24 PM)

Alexis B.
Historian
Send PM

Re: History.dat 1.48 for MAME, MESS and UME new [Re: Robbbert]
#300857 - 12/18/12 12:15 PM

I have to add missing entries for now, but yes, the goal is to have everything in one file.

etabeta
Send PM

#300858 - 12/18/12 12:22 PM

> I have to add missing entries for now, but yes, the goal is to have everything in one
> file.

that is cool, but it would have been nice if you would have contacted us about sysinfo

I will soon send you sms and gamegear dats. I had also a guy working on a snes dat, so I will see if he has anything ready as well

Alexis B.
Historian
Send PM

#300859 - 12/18/12 12:31 PM

> that is cool, but it would have been nice if you would have contacted us about
> sysinfo
>

Yeah, sorry for that but I didn't known the existence of an updated sysinfo.dat from ProjectMESS. I'm working on the MESS support (software lists) since months and this is finally ready now.

I'm adding entries by hand and I've to finish this for the official 0.148 release

etabeta
Send PM

#300861 - 12/18/12 12:50 PM

> I'm working on the MESS support (software lists) since months and this
> is finally ready now.

well, I had tried to contact you a few months ago (last spring) about this, because I was working on that as well. I guess you never received my email

no problem, anyway, it's just to avoid duplicate efforts. that's why I'm absolutely fine to hand you what I got so far and let your website to take care of new submissions (your interface is lightyears beyond what I managed to cook up so far)

Alexis B.
Historian
Send PM

#300864 - 12/18/12 03:09 PM

> no problem, anyway, it's just to avoid duplicate efforts. that's why I'm absolutely
> fine to hand you what I got so far and let your website to take care of new
> submissions (your interface is lightyears beyond what I managed to cook up so far)

It's actually a good new! This will be a great help if you can send existing information. Check your PM, I'll give you my email.

remax
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/12
Send PM

#300915 - 12/19/12 01:33 AM

Nice!

Now we only need someone who will merge Mameinfo and Messinfo

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Just a note... new [Re: Alexis B.]
#301038 - 12/20/12 10:11 AM

Just a note on the new History.dat, guys...

Parent-clone relationships in History.dat now follow the rule of oldest-known-in-Japan-if-originally-published-in-Japan as parent set. This differs from MAME.

Quote:

Aug. 17, 12: ATTN Contributors; the new rule 'PRIORITY TO ORIGINAL VERSIONS' is live. When a game was originally released in Japan, all information goes to the Japanese entry, and the outside-Japan versions are considered as clones and should contain only information about non-Japanese versions

I do not know if previous entries have been converted to this rule.

- Stiletto

Alexis B.
Historian
Send PM

Re: Just a note... new [Re: Stiletto]
#301040 - 12/20/12 11:19 AM

Yes, I think it's more logical. Historicaly, when an original game is released, It's the parent. All the following licensed, exported and updated versions are clones of the original. I never understood why MAME reverses this logic.

Anyway, there is no incidence for the final (history.dat) user. When a game have an original Japanese version. An explanation on the description section, links to the original entry/ROM. (I.E: "North American version, for more information about the game itself, please see the original Japanese version; [exact name & link]")

Note: In some case, the original version can be the American one (games developed in USA), and the Japanese is the exported version. In this case, the original is the one that contains the original information.

Not all entries are converted for now, but in an accurate historic logic, everything should be converted to this rule, when found.

Edited by Alexis B. (12/20/12 11:41 AM)

etabeta
Send PM

Re: Just a note... new [Re: Alexis B.]
#301041 - 12/20/12 11:35 AM

because quite often later releases contain bugfixes, and hence represent more precisely the intended behavior...

of course there are exceptions (like World releases of Jpn games which got raped in the process), but this is the reason for the rule

Alexis B.
Historian
Send PM

Re: Just a note... new [Re: etabeta]
#301042 - 12/20/12 12:00 PM

> because quite often later releases contain bugfixes, and hence represent more
> precisely the intended behavior...

I understand this point of view too but here is a simple example of my historical logic:

When a game is released, it is released with all it's 1.0 ROMs.
When this game is updated for bugfixes, in most case, they update only SOME of the ROMs to 1.1 (the bugfixed ones).

As of today, in MAME, we have the 1.1 ROMs as parent and the 1.0 "rollback ROMs" as clone.
Logically and technically, we should have the 1.1 ROMs update as a clone (since it's only an Update) and the 1.0 as parent.

Having the reverse is not logical to me and "can be" not accurate in some cases (emulation and documentation).

----

Anyway, in the History.dat (and arcade-history): 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 (or set3, set2, set1) ROMS share all the same entry. We have different entries only for "Regions" when the title is different, not for different Sets under the same region

Edited by Alexis B. (12/20/12 12:01 PM)

etabeta
Send PM

Re: Just a note... new [Re: Alexis B.]
#301052 - 12/20/12 05:47 PM

this is because you intend literally the word 'parent' as the version which generated the other ones. it was not, to my knowledge, meant as that. the whole concept was merely added to save some duplication of files when same roms were shared across multiple versions of the same game.

AntoPISA
MAME Snapper
Reged: 09/15/08
Loc: Pisa, Italy
Send PM

Re: Just a note... new [Re: etabeta]
#301054 - 12/20/12 06:06 PM

Basically you're both right: they are two different concepts.

Site: https://www.progettosnaps.net/
Board: progetto-SNAPS Official Board
Twitter: @progettosnaps

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 307 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4096