MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Violence In Video Games Does NOT Cause School Shootings!
#300715 - 12/16/12 12:57 PM

So Jamie Foxx was in the news today claiming that violence in movies caused that shit-wit to go cap a bunch of children, and there were all these people responding that FPS games and video game violence in general are to blame.

To the contrary: violent games are an ALTERNATIVE to real violence. I cannot tell you how many times I've wanted to go beat the living shit out of someone but instead opted to pretend that every exploding smiley face in Berzerk was them.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Violence In Video Games Does NOT Cause School Shootings! new [Re: Nightvoice]
#300717 - 12/16/12 01:01 PM

Personally, I think Roger Ebert's take on it makes a lot of sense.

http://boingboing.net/2012/12/15/roger-ebert-on-how-the-press-r.html

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Violence In Video Games Does NOT Cause School Shootings! new [Re: Nightvoice]
#300719 - 12/16/12 01:50 PM

> So Jamie Foxx was in the news today claiming that violence in movies caused that
> shit-wit to go cap a bunch of children, and there were all these people responding
> that FPS games and video game violence in general are to blame.
>
> To the contrary: violent games are an ALTERNATIVE to real violence. I cannot tell you
> how many times I've wanted to go beat the living shit out of someone but instead
> opted to pretend that every exploding smiley face in Berzerk was them.

Don't they say this about everything? In fact, I think people have prooved otherwise that it's better for you.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Violence In Video Games Does NOT Cause School Shootings! new [Re: Naoki]
#300727 - 12/16/12 05:11 PM

> > So Jamie Foxx was in the news today claiming that violence in movies caused that
> > shit-wit to go cap a bunch of children, and there were all these people responding
> > that FPS games and video game violence in general are to blame.
> >
> > To the contrary: violent games are an ALTERNATIVE to real violence. I cannot tell
> you
> > how many times I've wanted to go beat the living shit out of someone but instead
> > opted to pretend that every exploding smiley face in Berzerk was them.
>
> Don't they say this about everything? In fact, I think people have prooved otherwise
> that it's better for you.

Games can give one skills,
but coping is the best thing.
Gives one a cool head.

LEVEL-4

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: Violence In Video Games Does NOT Cause School Shootings! new [Re: DMala]
#300730 - 12/16/12 07:25 PM

> Personally, I think Roger Ebert's take on it makes a lot of sense.
>
> http://boingboing.net/2012/12/15/roger-ebert-on-how-the-press-r.html

There's a lot of truth there. But at the same time, the media is giving the masses what they apparently want. Papers are selling, viewers are tuning in. They want to know more, so it is given to them on a silver platter. If one agency refuses to provide the endless stream of coverage down to what the school janitor ate for lunch that day, people will change the channel to a competitor who will. Oh and then there's the gun control issue. America is a young country and still learning that our freedoms come at a cost. Awful things happen all over the world every day. We should be thankful for each peaceful day.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#300734 - 12/16/12 08:39 PM

> So Jamie Foxx was in the news today claiming that violence in movies caused that
> shit-wit to go cap a bunch of children,

That asshole!

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Violence In Video Games Does NOT Cause School Shootings! new [Re: yaggy]
#300735 - 12/16/12 08:39 PM

The Old Man [Reading the newspaper]: Did you hear about this guy who swallowed a yo-yo?
Mother: Swallowed a yo-yo?
The Old Man: Yeah, this clodhopper down in Griffin, Indiana.
M: There's the silliest things in the newspapers.
The Old Man: What do you mean "silly?" Tha-that's real news! That's not like that politics slop!

One rule for me visiting families. Turn that crap OFF or I leave.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#300737 - 12/16/12 08:59 PM

> So Jamie Foxx was in the news today claiming that violence in movies caused that shit-wit to go cap a bunch of children, and there were all these people responding that FPS games and video game violence in general are to blame.

Yep, let's not blame the parents for their total failure to parent their own kids.

No, it can't possibly have anything to do with that....

Why does everyone always scapegoat gaming? It's a cop-out and bald-faced lie.

We, the gaming community, are not responsible for other peoples' mental problems.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Violence In Video Games Does NOT Cause School Shootings! new [Re: Master O]
#300752 - 12/17/12 02:27 AM

> Why does everyone always scapegoat gaming? It's a cop-out and bald-faced lie.

There's always a scapegoat. Before video games it was music and Dungeons & Dragons, before that it was comic books. Video games as the scapegoat will start to fade in the next 10-15 years, as our generation that grew up with games becomes the one in charge. It'll be up to our kids to come up with the next thing for us to demonize.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 328 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1398