MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

MAME Artwork Update - Christmas comes early, let's play some pinball
#300529 - 12/13/12 10:23 AM

SITE UPDATES - December 12, 2012

In-Game Artwork: 4 new games; 6 games updated artwork

For admirers of arcade artwork, Christmas comes early this year. I finally hunkered down, and got a whole bunch of stuff done in the last few weeks. Here we go...

• So a LONG time ago, alien_mame bought and scanned the bezel for the JPM version of Monopoly. Half the fun of the game is the different lamps around the gameboard as you play. To actually make the lamps work properly, I took a different approach, and created the bezel in layers, so that the lamps would stick out better. Don't worry... the full version of the bezel is in the file, for prosperity.
  • I've been wanting to add the proper color overlay to Space Zap for a long time, once a collector contacted me that there was a B&W version, but then that collector never got back to me with the artwork. Recently, joey35car pointed me in the direction of someone that had that cab. I reached out, and he obliged, so a big thanks to Keith at Keith's Arcade for scanning his overlay and sending it to me. It really does look nicer now.
  • Trebor had pointed out a small glitch in the bezel for Ghosts 'n Goblins this year. When I went to look at it, I realized just how BAD the bezel looked. It totally wasn't up to snuff compared to the stuff that we normally release. So... I re-did it. And it was good practice for me; seems like I know what I'm doing now, so now that almost no one is left helping me, I'll still be able to churn out really good artwork regularly.
  • This year, Dave at http://www.robotron-2084.co.uk/ restored his Space Invaders II cab. He scanned and vectored the bezel/control panel, and was kind enough to send it to zorg for safe keeping at his site, so this is now in MAME.
  • KombatMAME at BYOAC scanned and cleaned up the marquee and instruction card for Wrestlemania; these have been added.
  • Just found out that in the Taito version of Space Invaders, the overlay for the saucer area is purple, not red like the Midway version. This has been fixed. You don't have to download the whole file; you can just download the new LAY file and replace it.
  • I took a bunch of pictures at CA Extreme last year. One of the games that stuck out on me was Gee Bee. The actually overlay is different than what is in MAME today. I verified by checking a few other cabinets around the internet. Looks a lot cooler now. I'll submit it later to update the internal MAME version, with some slight alterations (since there are diagonal shapes in it).
  • Found a good photo of the instruction card for Alpine Ski, which has been missing since forever, so that's fixed now.
  • So right after I finished GNG, for some reason I decided to go back and look at Super Pac-Man. And... O M G... there were so many things wrong with it... just click here to see. Sad thing is, even the official repro that is sold today has some of these mistakes. At least it'll be right when you play it in MAME. And since I was at it, I had good photos of the cabaret version, so I added that one in also.
  • And to end the year of with a bang... I think Video Pinball has been "the community's" most requested artwork since everything changed in MAME 0.107 over six years ago. I've been holding off on adding it all this time, because someone has been "working on the perfect version" of this artwork since before I started on this project. I'm tired of waiting, and the game is simply unplayable without artwork, so I'm doing something about it for now.

Thanks go to TrevEB for taking some pretty good photos of the backdrop lit up in a cabinet. I tweaked it as best as I could to line it up with the game screen (good thing with the game in service mode, it lights up nine spots that show you how to line the screen with the artwork). Also, thanks go out to Andy Welburn for scanning the bezel so long ago for us, which zorg finished some time ago. So now, we can all play Video Pinball again.

When the perfect version is finally finished, I'll more than happily replace this version.

That's probably going to be it for 2012 (unless Mikonos finally sends me the four pieces he finished four months ago). Have fun with the new stuff, and we'll have more goodies coming soon.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: MAME Artwork Update - Christmas comes early, let's play some pinball new [Re: Mr. Do]
#300547 - 12/13/12 05:34 PM

> And to end the year of with a bang... I think Video Pinball has been "the
> community's" most requested artwork since everything changed in MAME 0.107 over six
> years ago. I've been holding off on adding it all this time, because someone has been
> "working on the perfect version" of this artwork since before I started on this
> project. I'm tired of waiting, and the game is simply unplayable without artwork, so
> I'm doing something about it for now.
> Thanks go to TrevEB for taking some pretty good photos of the backdrop lit up in a
> cabinet. I tweaked it as best as I could to line it up with the game screen (good
> thing with the game in service mode, it lights up nine spots that show you how to
> line the screen with the artwork). Also, thanks go out to Andy Welburn for scanning
> the bezel so long ago for us, which zorg finished some time ago. So now, we can all
> play Video Pinball again.
> When the perfect version is finally finished, I'll more than happily replace this
> version.

Woohoo! That's awesome!

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: MAME Artwork Update - Christmas comes early, let's play some pinball new [Re: Mr. Do]
#300552 - 12/13/12 06:43 PM

Awesome work as always Mr. Do and everyone else who is involved in mame from the mamedevs, Mr. Do, Circo at emumovies, Roman Scherzer for clrmamepro, Progetto-snaps, mametesters, all the front-end creators for mame and anyone else I might of forgotten.

Merry Christmas to everyone

Edited by joey35car (12/13/12 07:12 PM)

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#300553 - 12/13/12 07:01 PM

Christmas came early this year!

Thank You

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

#300554 - 12/13/12 07:12 PM

> Trebor had pointed out a small glitch in the bezel for Ghosts 'n Goblins this year.
> When I went to look at it, I realized just how BAD the bezel looked. It totally
> wasn't up to snuff compared to the stuff that we normally release. So... I re-did it.
> And it was good practice for me; seems like I know what I'm doing now, so now that
> almost no one is left helping me, I'll still be able to churn out really good artwork
> regularly.

Awesome news and thank you again for fixing this among the slew of other updates and additions. Everything is very much appreciated.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#300555 - 12/13/12 07:20 PM

Hurray for Video Pinball! Played that at CAX again this year and it's kind of useless without the artwork.

jcroach
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/27/04
Loc: Bloomington, Indiana
Send PM

#300559 - 12/13/12 07:42 PM

Holy crap! Amazing update. Lots of classic games in there.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: MAME Artwork Update - Christmas comes early, let's play some pinball new [Re: jcroach]
#300562 - 12/13/12 08:39 PM

What a nice way to begin the day.Thanks as always MR.Do

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

#300565 - 12/13/12 08:56 PM

Cheers d00d, I can't thank you enough!

I can't wait to try it now

Ralph.

Coherance of posts inversely proportional to Foster's consumption!!!

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

Re: MAME Artwork Update - Christmas comes early, let's play some pinball new [Re: AeroCityMayor]
#300568 - 12/13/12 11:19 PM

> Cheers d00d, I can't thank you enough!
>
> I can't wait to try it now
>
>
> Ralph.

I guess I still got it then :smug_smilie:

Played £7 to win this and had a few £2 wins with the utility companies on the way through!

Totally awesomtastic and fantasmic!

Cheers d00d!

Ralph.

Coherance of posts inversely proportional to Foster's consumption!!!

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#300570 - 12/13/12 11:54 PM

Thanks for making MAME beautiful!

anoid
Lurker
Reged: 12/05/03
Send PM

#300617 - 12/14/12 09:02 PM

Monopoly is absolutely stunning. You did a great job with all those lights! Too bad I'm so bad with European history

Thanks for the update!

A-Noid

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

#300642 - 12/15/12 09:39 AM

Excellence, as usual. How you do what you do remains a mystery.

It's amazing how many arcade database sites have NO information on or entry for JPM Monopoly.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

jcroach
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/27/04
Loc: Bloomington, Indiana
Send PM

Gee Bee? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#300775 - 12/17/12 04:09 PM

> I took a bunch of pictures at CA Extreme last year. One of the games that stuck out
> on me was Gee Bee. The actually overlay is different than what is in MAME today. I
> verified by checking a few other cabinets around the internet. Looks a lot cooler
> now. I'll submit it later to update the internal MAME version, with some slight
> alterations (since there are diagonal shapes in it).

Did Gee Bee ever have a dedicated bezel?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 211 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2442