MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU Update: If someone asked you what the last game released on CPS1 was during trivia night, you would get the answer wrong
#300259 - 12/08/12 08:55 PM

The rare Capcom game arrived from Japan. It is called Ganbare Marin-kun, the final and probably rarest game released on CPS1. I don't know anyone who had even heard of it until it showed up for sale. It's a medal game but along with Tobikose Jumpman and Alien, the best of them I have seen. The music rips off several things including the Indiana Jones theme song. I passed a few levels and never left the deep blue so I don't know where all the data from the graphics roms is hiding or what but they could carry a lot more than I've seen. They compress down like crazy though so... No idea why they didn't use fewer roms or what exactly they have done. No lack of weirdness from this one, or cuteness... The graphics are very well done, just not much of them. The motherboard is the older, slower type despite this being the last CPS1 game and there is a timekeeper chip installed that I've never seen on a CPS1 motherboard before. I think it just keeps tabs on handing out toys or something though as opposed to the insidious ways they are used on some Konami boards, I am not sure. The service mode has a plethora of crap that looks more like CPS2 than CPS1. Probably the oddest CPS1 game we have gotten yet.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cte5ak

http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/marine.jpg
http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/marine_b.jpg
http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/marine_c.jpg

And, great success, a game from Success.

We picked up a very rare medal game called... I don't know what. It's by Taiyojidoki and Success... I'll edit in the name when someone translates it.

http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/successmedal.jpg
http://www.sendspace.com/file/fzbd0z

Andrew Welburn dumped the "RT2" version of Rolling Thunder.

http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/rtthund.jpg

Also we picked up the Japanese version of World Class Bowling.

http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/wcb1.jpg
http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/wcb2.jpg

Closed Account
Reged: 10/16/07
Send PM

Re: DU Update: If someone asked you what the last game released on CPS1 was during trivia night, you would get the answer wrong new [Re: Smitdogg]
#300265 - 12/08/12 10:10 PM

Cool!. Keep up the good work.

By the way, this guy with a huge mustache looks happy about your news.

Sincerely,

bearmon2010 aka Rockmanforte

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: DU Update: If someone asked you what the last game released on CPS1 was during trivia night, you would get the answer wrong new [Re: Smitdogg]
#300275 - 12/09/12 12:15 AM

Thank You for the info on that Capcom ...thing.
I've upped the title screen of "unknown" medal game, so someone with a elementary knowledge of Japanese language could translate it :

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: DU Update: If someone asked you what the last game released on CPS1 was during trivia night, you would get the answer wrong new [Re: CTOJAH]
#300277 - 12/09/12 02:14 AM

It's called "Kurokuro Pyonpyon"
"Kurokuro" = frog noise in Japanese
"Pyonpyon" = rabbit noise in Japanese

colour_thief
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/01/04
Send PM

Re: DU Update: If someone asked you what the last game released on CPS1 was during trivia night, you would get the answer wrong new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#300279 - 12/09/12 05:43 AM

> It's called "Kurokuro Pyonpyon"
> "Kurokuro" = frog noise in Japanese
> "Pyonpyon" = rabbit noise in Japanese

aka Ribbit Rabbit?

RevO EmaG
A trick is something a whore does for money.....or candy!
Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Probably on the sh*tter...
Send PM

Re: DU Update: If someone asked you what the last game released on CPS1 was during trivia night, you would get the answer wrong new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#300280 - 12/09/12 06:24 AM

Close, but it's actually "kuru kuru pyon pyon". Note the loops at the base of the 'ru' characters compared where there is no loop on 'ro'.

Edited by RevO EmaG (12/09/12 06:25 AM)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: DU Update: If someone asked you what the last game released on CPS1 was during trivia night, you would get the answer wrong new [Re: RevO EmaG]
#300292 - 12/09/12 01:18 PM

> Close, but it's actually "kuru kuru pyon pyon". Note the loops at the base of the
> 'ru' characters compared where there is no loop on 'ro'.

Yeah I know that, teach me to post when drunk on a Saturday night.

Roberto Fresca
Cuernito Rules!...
Reged: 08/12/04
Send PM

Re: DU Update: If someone asked you what the last game released on CPS1 was during trivia night, you would get the answer wrong new [Re: RevO EmaG]
#300302 - 12/09/12 06:58 PM

> Close, but it's actually "kuru kuru pyon pyon". Note the loops at the base of the
> 'ru' characters compared where there is no loop on 'ro'.

And means the same?

Robbie.

-- Risen from my grave --

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#300313 - 12/09/12 10:28 PM

Some work on the Success medal game.

http://www.robertofresca.com.ar/

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: DU Update: If someone asked you what the last game released on CPS1 was during trivia night, you would get the answer wrong new [Re: Roberto Fresca]
#300321 - 12/10/12 12:47 AM

> > Close, but it's actually "kuru kuru pyon pyon". Note the loops at the base of the
> > 'ru' characters compared where there is no loop on 'ro'.
>
> And means the same?

Yes, it's still a frog noise.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: DU Update: If someone asked you what the last game released on CPS1 was during trivia night, you would get the answer wrong new [Re: Roberto Fresca]
#300322 - 12/10/12 01:41 AM

> > Close, but it's actually "kuru kuru pyon pyon". Note the loops at the base of the
> > 'ru' characters compared where there is no loop on 'ro'.
>
> And means the same?
>
> Robbie.

Now that I'm actually sober and thinking about it, "pyon pyon" is supposed to be a hopping noise, most commonly associated with rabbits, but there are no rabbits in this game AFAICT. So if you want a better English rendition of the title it would be "Croak Croak Hop Hop".

Roberto Fresca
Cuernito Rules!...
Send PM

#300323 - 12/10/12 02:18 AM

> Now that I'm actually sober and thinking about it, "pyon pyon" is supposed to be a
> hopping noise, most commonly associated with rabbits, but there are no rabbits in
> this game AFAICT. So if you want a better English rendition of the title it would be
> "Croak Croak Hop Hop".

No rabbits at all, so the "pyon pyon" could be related to the principal character (frog) jumps?... Or the "hops" of the other little bugs to the right panel?

Robbie.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#300324 - 12/10/12 02:26 AM

> > Now that I'm actually sober and thinking about it, "pyon pyon" is supposed to be a
> > hopping noise, most commonly associated with rabbits, but there are no rabbits in
> > this game AFAICT. So if you want a better English rendition of the title it would
> be
> > "Croak Croak Hop Hop".
>
> No rabbits at all, so the "pyon pyon" could be related to the principal character
> (frog) jumps?... Or the "hops" of the other little bugs to the right panel?
>
> Robbie.

I assume it refers to the principal character jumping. Also, aren't those supposed to be tadpoles in the panel on the right?

Roberto Fresca
Cuernito Rules!...
Send PM

#300342 - 12/10/12 07:21 AM Attachment: tadpole.png 1 KB (0 downloads)

> > > Now that I'm actually sober and thinking about it, "pyon pyon" is supposed to be
> a
> > > hopping noise, most commonly associated with rabbits, but there are no rabbits in
> > > this game AFAICT. So if you want a better English rendition of the title it would
> > be
> > > "Croak Croak Hop Hop".
> >
> > No rabbits at all, so the "pyon pyon" could be related to the principal character
> > (frog) jumps?... Or the "hops" of the other little bugs to the right panel?
> >
> > Robbie.
>
> I assume it refers to the principal character jumping. Also, aren't those supposed to
> be tadpoles in the panel on the right?

These?...

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#300345 - 12/10/12 07:47 AM

> These?...

Yes. Bulbous body with prominent eyes and a little squiggly tail. It's a tadpole.

Roberto Fresca
Cuernito Rules!...
Send PM

#300347 - 12/10/12 08:24 AM Attachment: becareful.png 19 KB (0 downloads)

> > These?...
>
> Yes. Bulbous body with prominent eyes and a little squiggly tail. It's a tadpole.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#300358 - 12/10/12 05:02 PM

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#300384 - 12/10/12 10:12 PM

> Now that I'm actually sober and thinking about it, "pyon pyon" is supposed to be a
> hopping noise, most commonly associated with rabbits, but there are no rabbits in
> this game AFAICT. So if you want a better English rendition of the title it would be
> "Croak Croak Hop Hop".

I was wondering about this, because rabbits don't really have a stereotypical noise associated with them. Makes much more sense now.

Treble Winner
Lurker
Reged: 02/10/04
Send PM

#300386 - 12/10/12 10:53 PM

Is it possible that the TimeKeeper chip has some internal memory that could be used as protection?

The game passes it's initial mem tests, but when the Capcom logo is supposed to be displayed, the game is displaying a "RAM Error". No amount of mapping in the TimeKeeper ram is making it play ball. So I'm wondering if there is any possibility that the TimeKeeper could have ram that is set in the factory?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: If someone asked you what the last game released on CPS1 was during trivia night, you would get the answer wrong new [Re: Treble Winner]
#300388 - 12/10/12 11:04 PM

Yeah. I'm amazed it hasn't died. Will dump it today.

Treble Winner
Lurker
Send PM

#300390 - 12/10/12 11:38 PM

> Yeah. I'm amazed it hasn't died. Will dump it today.

Thanks for clarification. I'll hang fire and stop banging my head against a wall for a bit.

Treble Winner
Lurker
Send PM

Re: DU Update: If someone asked you what the last game released on CPS1 was during trivia night, you would get the answer wrong new [Re: Treble Winner]
#300505 - 12/12/12 10:34 PM Attachment: ganbare-12-12-203527.png 39 KB (1 downloads)

Thanks for taking the time to dump the RAM. It looks like I didn't actually require it in the end (the game writes over the RAM area, but I have hooked it at up as a default state for now). I haven't taken a look at the inputs yets, but otherwise it looks good. This is FB Alpha for now (it's where I'm most comfortable developing), but I'll port to MAME if nobody else does it before I'm done.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by Treble Winner (12/12/12 10:35 PM)

Treble Winner
Lurker
Send PM

#300506 - 12/12/12 10:45 PM Attachment: ganbare-12-12-204558.png 9 KB (0 downloads)

Does anyone know Japanese and fancy some translating of the dip settings?

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#300523 - 12/13/12 07:51 AM

Code:

6. Game Setup Confirmation
Medal Setup 1 Medal 1 Credit
Coin Setup 100 Yen Setting
Change Setup 10
10 Yen Setup 1 Coin 1 Credit
Payout Setup Credit Mode
Payout Rate Setup 80%
Demo Sound Setup Always
Clear RAM No
Test Mode Display Off

Treble Winner
Lurker
Send PM

#300530 - 12/13/12 11:15 AM Attachment: ganbare-12-13-091318.png 10 KB (0 downloads)

Thanks Vas Crabb.

I have a few more that I'm unsure of if anyone can help? It's the text highlighted in blue.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Treble Winner
Lurker
Send PM

#300531 - 12/13/12 11:15 AM Attachment: ganbare-12-13-091336.png 9 KB (0 downloads)

Last one.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#300532 - 12/13/12 01:12 PM

Blue text only:

• Don't use
  • No change
  • Don't use
  • Payout mode
  • Once to twice (i.e. only play demo sound every second time through the loop)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#300533 - 12/13/12 01:12 PM

Blue text only:

• Off

Treble Winner
Lurker
Send PM

#300537 - 12/13/12 02:43 PM

Thanks again vas crabb.

Roberto Fresca
Cuernito Rules!...
Send PM

One for me?.... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#300544 - 12/13/12 05:08 PM Attachment: kurukuru_error.jpg 3 KB (2 downloads)

What means this text?
Seems to be related to an error...

Robbie.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: One for me?.... new [Re: Roberto Fresca]
#300545 - 12/13/12 05:23 PM

"Jammed Medal" or "Medal Misfeed"

Roberto Fresca
Cuernito Rules!...
Send PM

Re: One for me?.... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#300549 - 12/13/12 05:37 PM

> "Jammed Medal" or "Medal Misfeed"

Thanks!... I suspected that.

btw... AKA & KURO (one seems black) and the other?

Thanks again.

RevO EmaG
A trick is something a whore does for money.....or candy!
Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Probably on the sh*tter...
Send PM

Red (aka). -NT- new [Re: Roberto Fresca]
#300551 - 12/13/12 06:24 PM

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 489 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6119