MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Guru update
#300001 - 12/04/12 07:44 PM

http://guru.mameworld.info/

Congrats there to Tingoes with Donkey King pcb find.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

btw: old Donkey Kong bootleg threads new [Re: gregf]
#300002 - 12/04/12 07:55 PM

If Donkey King find matches this Donkey King gameplay description in Tribble's unMAMEd page, good to know that Donkey King will finally be emulated

http://unmamed.mameworld.info/non_other80.html#DonkeyKing

--
The hardware is not your usual crappy bootleg with tons of patch wires on a Galaxian or Pacman or Scramble host board. The game runs on very clean, nice dedicated hardware. It's the same game as Donkey Kong of course but this is a great find!
--

Guru's comment reminded me of the thread from June 2011. I hope this recent find means all the well-known Donkey Kong bootlegs that were out there at various public places are finally accounted for and preserved.

---
06/21/11 12:40 AM
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

Crazy (Kong) Jr. (Falcon, 82)
http://unmamed.mameworld.info/non_other80.html#CrazyJr

CrazyKongFan
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

>I also have a Crazy Kong board running "Donkey King" (I see you have that listed as
>wanted) that I'm gonna try and get dumped too.
---

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: btw: old Donkey Kong bootleg threads new [Re: gregf]
#300003 - 12/04/12 08:05 PM

Yes hopefully they tweaked the gameplay elements like in the Crazy Kongs.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: btw: old Donkey Kong bootleg threads new [Re: Smitdogg]
#300005 - 12/04/12 08:10 PM

>Yes hopefully they tweaked the gameplay elements like in the Crazy Kongs.

I never followed Donkey Kong so I am not sure how may bootlegs existed or what else still remains needing to be found and dumped.

MetalliC
Demul/MAME dev
Reged: 03/20/09
Loc: UA
Send PM

Re: Guru update new [Re: gregf]
#300009 - 12/04/12 09:18 PM

Quote:

F355 Twin Australian BIOS

hm... can't find that one in naomi.c, or it is matches USA/EXP dump ?

CrazyKongFan
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/05/08
Send PM

Re: btw: old Donkey Kong bootleg threads new [Re: Smitdogg]
#300748 - 12/17/12 12:48 AM

Assuming it's the same as my board (it probably is), it's just the Crazy Kong Alca bootleg ROM with a different title screen. I didn't have much luck dumping mine. For some reason, my burner has trouble reading 2732's, but it burns them just fine. It reads 2716's and 2764's with no problems, just not 2732's. Unfortunately, my board no longer works...just comes up with garbage on the screen. The board itself is the same as the one guru pictured, including having the MTD-2 lettering and the +5V and +12V power LED's. I've also got a board running regular Crazy Kong with weird colors (I'm guessing it has CK Part 2 color PROMs) with the same style board, although one of the boards has a Falcon logo on it, and the board has no audio amp (it came with a separate audio amp board)

Tingoes
Old game finder!
Reged: 10/03/05
Send PM

Re: btw: old Donkey Kong bootleg threads new [Re: CrazyKongFan]
#300755 - 12/17/12 04:05 AM

There must be plenty of people out there that regularly check the forums and check the dumping status of rare and undumped games that they own.
Can I suggest that people visiting the MAMEworld forums regularly, who own unemulated variants of arcade games, and would like to preserve them please send them in for dumping and emulation.
For those that have unemulated games that may mean parting with your favorites for a while (sharing your toys with the MAME team), and sending your PCBs away to get dumped, emulated in MAME and saved for perpetuity.
For those out there interested in saving the games take a look nearby.
Maybe a repairer or amusement vendor near you has unemulated games boards for sale or warehoused.
I have found several unemulated games by looking through amusement vendors old stock, usually under piles of dusty boards.
Happy holidays to all,
Tingoes

Edited by Tingoes (12/17/12 04:05 AM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Guru update new [Re: MetalliC]
#300777 - 12/17/12 04:34 PM

> F355 Twin Australian BIOS
> hm... can't find that one in naomi.c, or it is matches USA/EXP dump ?

Just because Guru has listed something as dumped doesn't mean it's in MAME. He even points that out a few lines below that listing

CrazyKongFan
MAME Fan
Send PM

#304088 - 02/11/13 01:36 AM

I know this is an old thread, but just curious, now that Donkey King is added to MAME, the ROM's out there seem to be missing a PROM file called 82s129.5g. What does this PROM actually do? I see my Donkey King board has an 82s129 PROM chip at location 5G, but I don't have a way of reading it (my EPROM burner only does EPROM's as far as I know). I created a fake one using one of the other PROM's and the game seems to play OK that way (although it complains about the checksum). Not asking for the file, of course, just wondering what it's for

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

#304089 - 02/11/13 02:24 AM

> I know this is an old thread, but just curious, now that Donkey King is added to
> MAME, the ROM's out there seem to be missing a PROM file called 82s129.5g. What does
> this PROM actually do? I see my Donkey King board has an 82s129 PROM chip at location
> 5G, but I don't have a way of reading it (my EPROM burner only does EPROM's as far as
> I know). I created a fake one using one of the other PROM's and the game seems to
> play OK that way (although it complains about the checksum). Not asking for the file,
> of course, just wondering what it's for

You can read the 82s129 as an eprom btw but you will have to wire up an adapter so it 'looks' like a 2764 to your programmer. Also you have to be 100% sure you wire it up correctly (use a meter to check every connection first) or you could destroy the prom.
Check out 'promref.txt' and 'romref.txt' on the ic cross reference section of "theh"'s site. google search for "ynagen9wc1" and check the ic cross reference in one of the menus on the site, the links to the text files should be at the bottom.

(apply the obvious transformation to the " quoted regions.)

(Or you could lend the 82s129 to someone with a reader which reads proms)

LN

Edited by Lord Nightmare (02/11/13 02:37 AM)

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

CrazyKongFan
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: btw: old Donkey Kong bootleg threads new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#304090 - 02/11/13 02:44 AM

Yeah, there's actually a current thread over at KLOV where a guy wired up an adapter to read an 82s123 as a 2716. I looked up the spec sheet for the 82s129, but wasn't confident I could wire it up correctly without blowing it. Since I posted this, someone else there posted pics of a bunch of PROM adapters, so I may see if he's selling them. There were 5 different ones pictured, so if they don't cost too much, I may see if I can get all 5. Might come in handy for working on boards. I've got a 2532->2732 adapter (which are identical except for 3 pins) that works good for reading/burning 2532's, since my burner won't do them.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 723 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2367