MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

GBA can run e-Reader e-Cards, GB and GBC games on the real one. But...
#299600 - 11/21/12 09:37 PM

You can't do this on MESS GBA because of the support is missing. Maybe someday it can. Only GBA games are supported right now. It kind of like PCSX2 doesn't support PS games. I'm guesting that the DS will do DS games without the rest as well. =/

Anyway the GB games and GBC games run in a window on the real GBA which is odd. I didn't know that until I tried it. =/

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: GBA can run e-Reader e-Cards, GB and GBC games on the real one. But... new [Re: Dullaron]
#299617 - 11/22/12 02:13 AM

> Anyway the GB games and GBC games run in a window on the real GBA which is odd. I
> didn't know that until I tried it. =/

Yep, the GBA has a slightly larger resolution. And you had to press one of the shoulder buttons (I think) to make it stretch to the entire screen, but it looked really bad.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: GBA can run e-Reader e-Cards, GB and GBC games on the real one. But... new [Re: Foxhack]
#299641 - 11/22/12 11:49 AM

> > Anyway the GB games and GBC games run in a window on the real GBA which is odd. I
> > didn't know that until I tried it. =/
>
> Yep, the GBA has a slightly larger resolution. And you had to press one of the
> shoulder buttons (I think) to make it stretch to the entire screen, but it looked
> really bad.

Yet I still did so anyway.

Also, technically speaking the DS at one point stopped GBA support to and only played DS and DSi games, so I guess when MESS emulates them in 8-10 years there will be a DS driver, MAYBE DS lite driver and a DSi driver with GB support in the first two and dropped on the i.

And whilst we talk about backwards compatability, why did nintendo drop GC support from the Wii Family edition anyway? Save money? Little used?

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: GBA can run e-Reader e-Cards, GB and GBC games on the real one. But... new [Re: Naoki]
#299644 - 11/22/12 12:33 PM

> And whilst we talk about backwards compatability, why did nintendo drop GC support
> from the Wii Family edition anyway? Save money? Little used?

They don't have the gamecube controller ports, so it might have been to save money. Otherwise the consoles are identical.

It might have been that they needed to order another batch of the ports and it didn't seem worth it with the wii-u on it's way.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: GBA can run e-Reader e-Cards, GB and GBC games on the real one. But... new [Re: Naoki]
#299650 - 11/22/12 07:46 PM

> Also, technically speaking the DS at one point stopped GBA support to and only played
> DS and DSi games, so I guess when MESS emulates them in 8-10 years there will be a DS
> driver, MAYBE DS lite driver and a DSi driver with GB support in the first two and
> dropped on the i.

That's only because they removed the cart slot however, the hardware still retains the capability, so it will be an interesting case for sure.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: GBA can run e-Reader e-Cards, GB and GBC games on the real one. But... new [Re: B2K24]
#299657 - 11/22/12 10:38 PM

> That's only because they removed the cart slot however, the hardware still retains
> the capability, so it will be an interesting case for sure.

How do you know the DSi retained GBA backward compatibility? It's all new, so it doesn't have to.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: GBA can run e-Reader e-Cards, GB and GBC games on the real one. But... new [Re: ]
#299663 - 11/23/12 12:56 AM

> > That's only because they removed the cart slot however, the hardware still retains
> > the capability, so it will be an interesting case for sure.
>
> How do you know the DSi retained GBA backward compatibility? It's all new, so it
> doesn't have to.

It still has the additional ARM7 - a lot of DS games depend on having that present. It lacks the bus interface for accessing slot 2 though.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: GBA can run e-Reader e-Cards, GB and GBC games on the real one. But... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#299669 - 11/23/12 01:58 AM

> It still has the additional ARM7 - a lot of DS games depend on having that present.
> It lacks the bus interface for accessing slot 2 though.

Being able to run GBA isn't just about having the ARM7. You might be able to run the code, but the sound, graphics & memory map might not be compatible.

You just can't say without trying it.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: GBA can run e-Reader e-Cards, GB and GBC games on the real one. But... new [Re: ]
#299677 - 11/23/12 04:12 AM

> Being able to run GBA isn't just about having the ARM7. You might be able to run the
> code, but the sound, graphics & memory map might not be compatible.

Yeah, the SoC in the DSi is quite different internally from the DS/DSLite. The back-compat went away to free up die area for the new features.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#299678 - 11/23/12 04:18 AM

> > And whilst we talk about backwards compatability, why did nintendo drop GC support
> > from the Wii Family edition anyway? Save money? Little used?
>
> They don't have the gamecube controller ports, so it might have been to save money.

The ports (and memory card slots) cost money, and while a few people make a lot of Internet noise about it, actual usage stats show back-compat with user-supplied original media just isn't used. Downloading old games for a few bucks and playing them without having your old PSOne jewel cases sitting around making your wife angry turned out to be what people really wanted from back-compat.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#299699 - 11/23/12 04:28 PM

> > It still has the additional ARM7 - a lot of DS games depend on having that present.
> > It lacks the bus interface for accessing slot 2 though.
>
> Being able to run GBA isn't just about having the ARM7. You might be able to run the
> code, but the sound, graphics & memory map might not be compatible.
>
> You just can't say without trying it.

I know that - I was making a point that it doesn't have all the hardware for GBA mode.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: GBA can run e-Reader e-Cards, GB and GBC games on the real one. But... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#299712 - 11/23/12 07:40 PM

> The ports (and memory card slots) cost money, and while a few people make a lot of
> Internet noise about it, actual usage stats show back-compat with user-supplied
> original media just isn't used.

The Dance mats also used those controller ports, again I'm sure the DDR sales on the Wii have not been great but it seems odd that they waited so late to remove them. Some games were also better with a gamecube controller.

If it wasn't due to them running out, then they ought to have picked up on their lack of use a long time ago.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#299741 - 11/24/12 03:26 AM

> If it wasn't due to them running out, then they ought to have picked up on their lack
> of use a long time ago.

The ports went away right around the time near-final WiiU kits showed up at developers, which indicates that rev was designed to be an as-cheap-as-possible swan song, similar to the top-loading NES or the PSOne (I suspect the new super-slim PS3 is meant to fit that role next year as well). Given there were no user-visible hardware revs prior to that point, it makes sense that that's when they did it.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 295 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1430