View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Biafra Republic
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/26/07
Send PM

Patch.exe in compiling tools is broken in Windows 8
#298455 - 11/04/12 12:16 AM

When attempting to patch the latest stable sources to the newest u level, the patch.exe asks for elevation before opening a new Command Prompt window for itself and stalling out...

MAME Version: 0.147 (attempting to patch to u1, then u2)
Compiling tools version: 20120807

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Patch.exe in compiling tools is broken in Windows 8 new [Re: Biafra Republic]
#298456 - 11/04/12 12:20 AM

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Patch.exe in compiling tools is broken in Windows 8 new [Re: Biafra Republic]
#298457 - 11/04/12 12:24 AM

> When attempting to patch the latest stable sources to the newest u level, the
> patch.exe asks for elevation before opening a new Command Prompt window for itself
> and stalling out...
>
> OS: Windows 8 Pro (x64)
> MAME Version: 0.147 (attempting to patch to u1, then u2)
> Compiling tools version: 20120807

Probably a quick way around it is to rename from patch.exe to somethingelse.exe If that doesn't work, it sounds like you need to make a manifest file to cover usage of that or otherwise fiddle with UAC. I've never done it nor do I know how - but google should be helpful.

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#298463 - 11/04/12 02:35 AM

You could also just install slik subversion or similar and pull down the code directly from svn as up to date as you want... wouldn't need patch then.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

Biafra Republic
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/26/07
Send PM

Re: Patch.exe in compiling tools is broken in Windows 8 new [Re: Tafoid]
#298471 - 11/04/12 06:55 AM

Okay... did some fiddling with manifests to find out that patch.exe is requiring an elevated command prompt. Running it in an Administrator Command Prompt alleviates matters but patch.exe should not be requiring elevation at all, IMO (at least, it never did before Windows .

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#298474 - 11/04/12 07:57 AM

> Okay... did some fiddling with manifests to find out that patch.exe is requiring an
> elevated command prompt. Running it in an Administrator Command Prompt alleviates
> matters but patch.exe should not be requiring elevation at all, IMO (at least, it
> never did before Windows .

That's because microsoft decided to monopolise the name patch.exe. That's why it's easier to just rename it.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

No patches require. Read here. =) new [Re: Biafra Republic]
#298483 - 11/04/12 02:10 PM

Download this SVN tool from here at http://tortoisesvn.net/

Install it.

Click on this svn://dspnet.fr/mame/tags

Copy which version of MAME source that you want onto your hard drive. Just drag it. You can make MESS from that source as well.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

msbhvn
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/29/08
Loc: Teh Internet!!1
Send PM

Re: Patch.exe in compiling tools is broken in Windows 8 new [Re: Tafoid]
#298538 - 11/06/12 03:03 AM Attachment: error.png 19 KB (0 downloads)

I'm having this problem in Windows 7 now, just having re-installed my PC. I even tried copying the patch.exe.manifest I've been using since Vista into the new tools and got an error box. (See Below)

There's something wrong with the patch.exe supplied with the new tools, because when I renamed that patch.exe and used the old one with the manifest, I could patch without any problems.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Those guys at Narcotics Anonymous are assholes, I told them I have a 3 litre a day Coke habit and they kicked me out!

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Patch.exe in compiling tools is broken in Windows 8 new [Re: msbhvn]
#298558 - 11/06/12 12:08 PM

> I'm having this problem in Windows 7 now, just having re-installed my PC. I even
> tried copying the patch.exe.manifest I've been using since Vista into the new tools
> and got an error box. (See Below)
>
> There's something wrong with the patch.exe supplied with the new tools, because when
> I renamed that patch.exe and used the old one with the manifest, I could patch
> without any problems.

Was the old one a 32 or 64 bit version? I think the manifest might have the type of exe, so if you were 32 and now 64 then I think the manifest might need updating.

On 32bit versions of windows you can't create a manifest to allow a djgpp version of patch, because it's run under the dos subsystem (64bit doesn't support running old dos apps anyway).

msbhvn
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/29/08
Loc: Teh Internet!!1
Send PM

Re: Patch.exe in compiling tools is broken in Windows 8 new [Re: ]
#298660 - 11/08/12 06:38 AM Attachment: patch_exe_manifest.zip 1 KB (5 downloads)

I tried changing the processorArchitecture in the manifest, but then it gave me an error related to SideBySide, so I used my GoogleFu (for it is strong within me) and found a CodeProject article about UAC where I found a simpler "asInvoker" manifest without the processorArchitecture defined and used that, which solved my problem.

For anyone still having problems, I've attached a zipped copy of the manifest file.

Those guys at Narcotics Anonymous are assholes, I told them I have a 3 litre a day Coke habit and they kicked me out!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 355 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1646