Pages: 1

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Raspberry Pi cabinet
#298335 - 10/31/12 05:09 PM

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/10/make-an-emulator-gaming-cabinet-with-your-35-raspberry-pi/

Sounds interesting, but I thought the Raspberry Pi wasn't a good platform for emulation?

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Raspberry Pi cabinet new [Re: DMala]
#298339 - 10/31/12 08:17 PM

I don't think MAME / MESS will run fast on it. I bet it still chokes on MAME / MESS.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#298342 - 10/31/12 09:12 PM

> Sounds interesting, but I thought the Raspberry Pi wasn't a good platform for
> emulation?

It's not. You get exactly what you pay for and I buy more expensive Raspberry smoothies from the mall.
I will gladly stick to emulation using a 4 GHz Intel CPU Thank You very much

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#298368 - 11/01/12 04:53 PM

> http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/10/make-an-emulator-gaming-cabinet-with-your-35-raspberry-pi/
>
> Sounds interesting, but I thought the Raspberry Pi wasn't a good platform for
> emulation?

It's not. People wanting to do that should wait for at least Ouya. Modern MAME runs "the classics" up to Space Harrier well enough on a T30 Tegra 3 (e.g. Nexus 7/Ouya) but definitely not on an ARM11. The fact that the people pushing the KS claim MAME runs fine on the Pi tells me everything I need to know about how legit the project is.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Raspberry Pi cabinet new [Re: Dullaron]
#298406 - 11/02/12 01:54 PM

Besides you can do much better by picking up an used ITX board off Ebay for $20 than trying to get the Pi to play anything decent.

The Pi was designed for kids to learn programming or control a bot. My Epia5000 just copes with .37 and it set me back $10. It just baffles me why people try to make money on such a under powered piece of hardware.

Quantum Leaper
OCRer and Monkey Typist for Galaxy Game
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Orion spiral arm of the Milky Way
Send PM

Re: Raspberry Pi cabinet new [Re: ]
#298430 - 11/03/12 06:54 AM

> Besides you can do much better by picking up an used ITX board off Ebay for $20 than
> trying to get the Pi to play anything decent.
>
> The Pi was designed for kids to learn programming or control a bot. My Epia5000 just
> copes with .37 and it set me back $10. It just baffles me why people try to make
> money on such a under powered piece of hardware.

I still remember when I tried MAME on my P75 with version 0.01, getting Pacman to run at 60 fps, was interesting, I had to shut down all the background tasks, otherwise I got about 55 fps. I guess it comes down too, what do you expect for a $35 computer with 512MB of ram? I except to run 80s games on it, off my old TV with an RCA cable. Try finding one of those a modern Video card. I will play games that I can't run on the Pi on my i7.

Quantum Leaper
Send PM

Re: Raspberry Pi cabinet new [Re: R. Belmont]
#298431 - 11/03/12 06:59 AM

> >
> http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/10/make-an-emulator-gaming-cabinet-with-your-35-raspberry-pi/
> >
> > Sounds interesting, but I thought the Raspberry Pi wasn't a good platform for
> > emulation?
>
> It's not. People wanting to do that should wait for at least Ouya. Modern MAME runs
> "the classics" up to Space Harrier well enough on a T30 Tegra 3 (e.g. Nexus 7/Ouya)
> but definitely not on an ARM11. The fact that the people pushing the KS claim MAME
> runs fine on the Pi tells me everything I need to know about how legit the project
> is.

I don't know how 'legit' the project is, but I expect them to compete the project and have a product. Since they are the ones who made my case for my Raspberry PI. I like my Pibow case very much, and it a very popular case for Raspberry Pi users.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Raspberry Pi cabinet new [Re: Quantum Leaper]
#298437 - 11/03/12 02:42 PM

> I don't know how 'legit' the project is, but I expect them to compete the project and
> have a product. Since they are the ones who made my case for my Raspberry PI. I like
> my Pibow case very much, and it a very popular case for Raspberry Pi users.

Be that as it may, advertising that a Pi will run MAME well verges on fraud.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#298441 - 11/03/12 03:40 PM

Quote:

I except to run 80s games on it, off my old TV with an RCA cable. Try finding one of those a modern Video card.

Oh I agree completely. But if I was to take that route I would invest in a Xbox1 and CoinOPS For $20 and still have a full catalog to play with.

I would like to see the Pi working in a classroom. I am working on making a totally green Pi server to serve 50 PCs at our local college lab. Getting the kids involved with Linux and networking at that level and age is so much more important than trying to get XBMC working on the Pi.

If we don't start teaching programming in schools at an early age, you devs will be maintaining Mame in the old folks home.

Edited by Bizimonki (11/03/12 09:58 PM)

Quantum Leaper
Send PM

Re: Raspberry Pi cabinet new [Re: ]
#298465 - 11/04/12 04:26 AM

> I except to run 80s games on it, off my old TV with an RCA cable. Try finding one of
> those a modern Video card.
>
> Oh I agree completely. But if I was to take that route I would invest in a Xbox1 and
> CoinOPS For $20 and still have a full catalog to play with.
>
> I would like to see the Pi working in a classroom. I am working on making a totally
> green Pi server to serve 50 PCs at our local college lab. Getting the kids involved
> with Linux and networking at that level and age is so much more important than trying
> to get XBMC working on the Pi.
>
> If we don't start teaching programming in schools at an early age, you devs will be
> maintaining Mame in the old folks home.

I can take my Pi with in a some carrying case, how is the Xbox1 in portability?

I agree educational use of the Pi far outweighs the emulator uses of it. It helps starting at a young age, but I didn't start until I was 18, and that was on a SDK8085, I wonder how many programmers who designed and programmed Mainframes start at young age? I have some good friends who program Video games and none of them started until their teens at the earliest. The hardest thing is getting people interested in programming on a computer, I have seen far too many people change from programming over the years.

Quantum Leaper
Send PM

#298466 - 11/04/12 04:31 AM

> > I don't know how 'legit' the project is, but I expect them to compete the project
> and
> > have a product. Since they are the ones who made my case for my Raspberry PI. I
> like
> > my Pibow case very much, and it a very popular case for Raspberry Pi users.
>
> Be that as it may, advertising that a Pi will run MAME well verges on fraud.

Pi is about the same speed as P2 300, and my P75 used to play mame, and when I got my P2 400, it ran most of the Mame game very well. You may have to run an older version, but it will run Mame. I guess then saying my P75 ran mame was fraud also? I doubt it would run the current version of Mame, also if they get enough money, they will explore other thing that it could be hooked up too. I like said, they are most likely the only project I would believe in, knowing they created the Pibow case.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#298469 - 11/04/12 05:27 AM

You are completely misunderstanding my point[1] in an effort to white knight the bejesus out of these people. Are you one of them or something?

PS: Download current MAME. Try to even launch it on a P2-300 with 256 MB of RAM. Won't fit. See? Borderline fraud.

[1] That point being, in plain English: There are about a dozen preferable ways to run MAME in a fanless/low-cost/small form factor/HTPC way vs. the Pi[2]. The Pi is a *wonderful* Linux/programming learning machine for children. It is a *terrible* way to save money on a turnkey applications/emulation PC. And unfortunately, a large majority of buyers seem to be leaning towards that latter purpose, and the people behind this Kickstarter are gleefully steering them in that direction.

[2] A few of those in no particular order: BeagleBoard XM, PandaBoard, Google Nexus 7 & 10, Samsung Chromebook, pretty much any Ivy Bridge-based mini or micro-ITX system, any mid-to-high end Android phone introduced since January of this year, and various jailbroken other devices.

Quantum Leaper
Send PM

#298478 - 11/04/12 11:27 AM

> You are completely misunderstanding my point[1] in an effort to white knight the
> bejesus out of these people. Are you one of them or something?
>
> PS: Download current MAME. Try to even launch it on a P2-300 with 256 MB of RAM.
> Won't fit. See? Borderline fraud.
>
You know MAME has the source code for most to the version available, I know I won't be using the current version, I have no idea what they will recommend. all I am is a customer who liked their first product.

> [1] That point being, in plain English: There are about a dozen preferable ways to
> run MAME in a fanless/low-cost/small form factor/HTPC way vs. the Pi[2]. The Pi is a
> *wonderful* Linux/programming learning machine for children. It is a *terrible* way
> to save money on a turnkey applications/emulation PC. And unfortunately, a large
> majority of buyers seem to be leaning towards that latter purpose, and the people
> behind this Kickstarter are gleefully steering them in that direction.
>
I will be using it more than just running MAME on, one nice thing is I can setup multiple SD cards for booting and USB thumb drives for storage for each use. I never said I was supporting them, I just responded to your comment that there would no real item produced. Like I said, if it can play of 80s games I will be happy. I have a P4 3Ghz, Core2 3GHz, or my new i7 3.5GHz if I want to play newer games.

> [2] A few of those in no particular order: BeagleBoard XM, PandaBoard, Google Nexus 7
> & 10, Samsung Chromebook, pretty much any Ivy Bridge-based mini or micro-ITX system,
> any mid-to-high end Android phone introduced since January of this year, and various
> jailbroken other devices.

I don't really need to buy yet another device to play with, like I said the Raspberry PI will be doing more than just playing games. I still like the 80s games the best, since that when I started hanging out in Arcades, I still remember when the local arcade got its FIRST video game.

One other thing, how would I hook up any of those suggested devices to a RCA jack or coaxial connector on the back of my old TV without spend a lot of cash for a converter?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 332 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2444