View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

So... Win 8 is out
#298139 - 10/27/12 10:47 AM

And it's actually cheap enough for me to buy if it's really worth upgrading. So what's the opinion here on the OS?

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: So... Win 8 is out new [Re: URherenow]
#298143 - 10/27/12 01:29 PM

> And it's actually cheap enough for me to buy if it's really worth upgrading. So
> what's the opinion here on the OS?

I going to wait until I get a touch screen computer before getting one. Beside the price probably going to drop later on because not everyone will be using the Win 8. They probably going to hate it. Think about it. Most people doesn't like Apple so they probably won't like this Win 8 ether.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#298144 - 10/27/12 02:00 PM

> And it's actually cheap enough for me to buy if it's really worth upgrading. So

I've used it a little at work. If you don't have a touchscreen, the experience is not a whole lot different than Win 7. The only compelling reason to upgrade I can think of would be if someone comes out with some really killer Windows Store Apps, but I haven't seen any yet. I'm sure I'll upgrade eventually, but I'm not in a hurry to right now.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: So... Win 8 is out new [Re: DMala]
#298146 - 10/27/12 03:41 PM

> Windows Store Apps

... How does it feel about non-store software?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#298149 - 10/27/12 07:34 PM

I think you will just be getting mostly hearsay for a while but speaking of which, it sounds like less control and no benefits unless you want to use a touchscreen. I would ask yourself if you are unhappy with Windows 7.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: So... Win 8 is out new [Re: Smitdogg]
#298156 - 10/27/12 08:42 PM

> I would ask yourself if you are unhappy with Windows 7.

Yes, but Windows 8 will not fix that.

//Damn you every I/O related program I own.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: So... Win 8 is out new [Re: TriggerFin]
#298170 - 10/28/12 04:01 AM

That's part of what I'm getting at. Compatibility. How is it? I don't have a touch screen for my desktop, nor will I any time soon. Another reason is that it's reasonably priced. I've been a bad boy since after 98SE. I would much rather be legit, but not if my usual programs have to be sacrificed or not upgraded for free.

And again with touch screen... I don't want metro at the moment. Can you turn it off or otherwise install the classic desktop? I use a classic desktop/explorer program on Win 7 even...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#298178 - 10/28/12 05:59 AM

> That's part of what I'm getting at. Compatibility. How is it? I don't have a touch
> screen for my desktop, nor will I any time soon. Another reason is that it's
> reasonably priced. I've been a bad boy since after 98SE. I would much rather be
> legit, but not if my usual programs have to be sacrificed or not upgraded for free.
>
> And again with touch screen... I don't want metro at the moment. Can you turn it off
> or otherwise install the classic desktop? I use a classic desktop/explorer program on
> Win 7 even...

I've heard that 8 is pretty much compatible with anything that works with 7.

Most of the complaints I've read have been about the UI. Actually using software seems to be just fine. I think I heard there would be problems with some libraries that are no longer supported... stuff like some versions of .NET. However, that's hearsay.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#298179 - 10/28/12 06:14 AM

> And again with touch screen... I don't want metro at the moment. Can you turn it off
> or otherwise install the classic desktop? I use a classic desktop/explorer program on
> Win 7 even...

Metro cannot be disabled, per Microsoft.

However, there is a program called Start8, which is a 3rd-party program, that will disable Metro. The beta version of Start8 is free, but they're going to charge for the non-beta it later.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#298181 - 10/28/12 07:29 AM

Upgraded main Wolfdale 3.6Ghz desktop from Win7 64 to Win8 Pro for $40 on 10/26. Getting it all situated this weekend. (media center addon is a free add-on till 1/2013).

No issues so far w/ any MAME/MESS emulation and compiling. I have a 28" and 32" monitors and I find the start screen works well over on the secondary monitor while retaining my desktop on the primary. Things do seem to be a bit 'perkier' moving around w/in the desktop. You can continue to pin things to the taskbar as you did in 7 and have them available on the start screen if you want.

I haven't had any incompatibilities; everything that worked in 7 works in 8. The $40 upgrade to Pro is nice for me so I can RDP to other machines in my house.

As others have said it shines on tablets (and phone). I don't have a problem w/ it on the desktop.

[Edit] Also the desktop is one keystroke away. Just put the desktop tile as the first thing on the start screen and you just press enter.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

Tingoes
Old game finder!
Reged: 10/03/05
Send PM

Re: So... Win 8 is out new [Re: Dullaron]
#298210 - 10/29/12 12:43 PM

I'll pay for the upgrade while it's cheap and I'm a new adopter. Chances are Multiple Sclerosis will bump up the price or stop offering cheap upgrades.
On my third time lucky I bought a genuine copy of XP from an ebay seller.
The first copy that I bought from a US based ebay vendor in Florida was a genuine used MS disk in a re-shrink wrapped MS box.
The second was from a Australian vendor selling OEM product for PC builders, which since I built my own PC I thought would be cool.
MS wouldn't authenticate the first OEM COA and after I got another replacement XP package from the same vendor (who was ropeable about MS Australia's behaviour) MS authenticated it.
I ended up buying a genuine copy of Bill Gates Limited Edition Vista and didn't end up installing it because of early MS licensing issues with common hardware manufacturers. (MS Vista wouldn't work with my Pioneer DVD/R drive or the ASUS DVD/R I bought to get around the Vista softwares licensing problem.
After my install disk for XP got damaged, Multiple Sclerosis Australia decided that they wouldn't replace it.
So I ended up buying a genuine copy of Multiple Sclerosis 7 at full on retail.
I'll be f'ing upgrading to 8 while it's;
a). Still cheap,
and;
b). MS Australia will still honour their genuine f'ing software.

If anyone wants an unused Bill Gates limited edition boxed Vista OS upgrade for what I paid for it PM me.

Edited by Tingoes (10/29/12 02:37 PM)

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

Is it just me, or does it seem like M$ is going back to the Windows 3.1 philosophy? new [Re: URherenow]
#298213 - 10/29/12 03:52 PM

Program groups on the desktop....

Edited by TheBigAmbulance (10/29/12 04:15 PM)

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

WTF... *nt* new [Re: Tingoes]
#298231 - 10/29/12 10:54 PM

Can't you just call them M$ like everyone else?

damnyouautocorrect?

- Stiletto

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

Re: Is it just me, or does it seem like M$ is going back to the Windows 3.1 philosophy? new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#298233 - 10/29/12 11:17 PM

What's old is new. Take Cloud computing for example. It is nothing more than a mainframe wrapped in a slick layer of marketese.

Kevin Eshbach

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Just heard the first thing that will drive me away for good new [Re: URherenow]
#298241 - 10/30/12 02:08 AM

Not Metro, not the store...

The fact that DirectDraw is no longer supported. Which means that old games games that used this to display graphics are now pretty hard to get them to work right unless someone comes up with a solution. One guy I know said that an older Command & Conquer game runs at 2 FPS...

I was actually considering buying it, but now...

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

Myself, I think that Win7 is my last purchased M$ product... new [Re: Foxhack]
#298249 - 10/30/12 03:32 AM

Waremonger
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

#298362 - 11/01/12 11:42 AM

> I don't have a touch screen for my desktop, nor will I any time soon.

I think MicroSoft has completely lost their mind. Who in the hell would want to use a touch screen on their desktop? It's so much more inefficient compared to a mouse and keyboard and who sits that damn close to their monitor?

Idiocracy, here we come! All hail Mike Judge, the modern-day Nostradamus.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: So... Win 8 is out new [Re: Waremonger]
#298364 - 11/01/12 01:31 PM

> > I don't have a touch screen for my desktop, nor will I any time soon.
>
> I think MicroSoft has completely lost their mind. Who in the hell would want to use a
> touch screen on their desktop? It's so much more inefficient compared to a mouse and
> keyboard and who sits that damn close to their monitor?
>
> Idiocracy, here we come! All hail Mike Judge, the modern-day Nostradamus.

I saw one at Fry's and I thought it was a Mac machine until someone pointed out it have a touch screen with a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. I'm guesting Microsoft wanted to be a Mac now. Their new ideas might be getting worst later down the road.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

JWJr
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/15/04
Send PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that recognized "cloud" as nothing more than a new name for 1970s "time-sharing". [nt] new [Re: keshbach1]
#298365 - 11/01/12 02:12 PM

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: So... Win 8 is out new [Re: Waremonger]
#298366 - 11/01/12 03:39 PM

> I think MicroSoft has completely lost their mind. Who in the hell would want to use a
> touch screen on their desktop? It's so much more inefficient compared to a mouse and
> keyboard and who sits that damn close to their monitor?

I've used one a little, and it's actually not that bad. You wouldn't want to get rid of your mouse and keyboard and use it full time, but it feels pretty natural to be able to poke at a link or swipe to scroll instead of reaching for the mouse. I'm not sure how much extra I'm willing to pay for that feature, but as an idea it's not completely daffy.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 825 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2083