View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

My craziest restoration project
#297584 - 10/16/12 05:47 AM Attachment: Screen shot 2012-10-15 at 10.52.01 PM.png 467 KB (0 downloads)

Got this for a steal... The guy wanted to cut it up and throw it away to relandscape the park it was in, so I saved it from forever being derezzed. I plan to restore it to its former glory. It's a playground piece from the 1970's... kids can enter through the back, climb up a ladder, and either go into the jail, or keep climbing and look out the hat holes (the file photo version doesn't have the hat holes mine does).

Will require sand blasting the metal parts, primer, and paint, and significant fiberglass refurbishing and repainting as well. A buddy of mine came over with his jack hammer already and knocked off all the old cement from it's ballast, which made this thing almost 2 tons. As it is now, two men can carry it around. Should be a fun project.

Here's a file photo of what it should look like...

...and attached is mine in my shop. I unbolted the fiberglass head from the steel base. I've been doing research, there are several versions, so luckily I got the best one.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by Gatinho (10/16/12 05:54 AM)

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Nice find. new [Re: GatKong]
#297585 - 10/16/12 06:03 AM

I wouldn't mind have one of these in my back yard. =)

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

define "your shop" new [Re: GatKong]
#297587 - 10/16/12 06:10 AM

jealous

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: My craziest restoration project new [Re: GatKong]
#297589 - 10/16/12 06:33 AM

> Got this for a steal... The guy wanted to cut it up and throw it away to relandscape
> the park it was in, so I saved it from forever being derezzed. I plan to restore it
> to its former glory. It's a playground piece from the 1970's... kids can enter
> through the back, climb up a ladder, and either go into the jail, or keep climbing
> and look out the hat holes (the file photo version doesn't have the hat holes mine
> does).
>
> Will require sand blasting the metal parts, primer, and paint, and significant
> fiberglass refurbishing and repainting as well. A buddy of mine came over with his
> jack hammer already and knocked off all the old cement from it's ballast, which made
> this thing almost 2 tons. As it is now, two men can carry it around. Should be a fun
> project.
>
> Here's a file photo of what it should look like...
>
>
> ...and attached is mine in my shop. I unbolted the fiberglass head from the steel
> base. I've been doing research, there are several versions, so luckily I got the best
> one.

Haha, nice. Is it really that old? My recollection is that playgrounds at McDonalds started to go up in the early '80s, at least around here. I definitely remember playing on a piece like yours as a kid.

Surgeville
Occasional Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

So Cool! nt new [Re: GatKong]
#297610 - 10/16/12 08:50 PM

nt

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: define "your shop" new [Re: italie]
#297620 - 10/17/12 03:23 AM

The whole storied story... 'tis a barn for farm equipment which half is empty, and I can use as my shop. It's where the magic happens.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 143 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1394