MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Ugh, please spare me.
#296900 - 10/01/12 10:46 PM

A friend of mine works for this company, and his company got the idea of finding some random hard working person and giving them $500, and he got the task to get it done, fair enough.

But this friend of mine calls the news first, shows up with a mob of his co-workers, cameras rolling and photographs flashing of him giving this $500 dollars away, and makes a huge production out of it, makes a big speech about it while holding the edge of the bills but not letting go of the bills for what seemed like forever while he waxed on about generosity and helping others, getting photos with him hugging this crying girl who clearly is grateful and needed an extra $500 something awful... probably crying thinking "About damn time you let go of the money."

Now it's moving from charity to PR stunt in my book.

This thing was MONTHS ago, and if he posts one more new article about it on his facebook I'm going to barf. And every post generates EVERYBODY replying what a wonderful, generous, beautiful human being he is; that HE is.

I like the guy, he's an old friend, but I've been biting my tongue... man do I want to post on his facebook something along the lines of "Sure are getting a lot of milage out of this $500" or "Best advertising dollars a company could ever have spent." I mean, a four month local media blitz including prime time television news coverage, front page local news paper... twice. Follow-up stories... a photo expose on another week... another article about generosity, which headlines this event yet again... ironically, the articles all focus on him, and his company, oh, and a quick shot of the lucky girl, now back to the generous man.

Every story has this dude front and center talking about how he just loves to help out his fellow man, and how good he feels at night knowing he made a difference. They've created a monster. Dude, you're killing it. Your company PAID you to go out and give this money away with cameras rolling... can you suck any harder on the douche bag?

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Ugh, please spare me. new [Re: GatKong]
#296903 - 10/01/12 11:23 PM

> A friend of mine works for this company, and his company got the idea of finding some
> random hard working person and giving them $500, and he got the task to get it done,
> fair enough.
> ...
> This thing was MONTHS ago, and if he posts one more new article about it on his
> facebook I'm going to barf. And every post generates EVERYBODY replying what a
> wonderful, generous, beautiful human being he is; that HE is.
> ...
> Every story has this dude front and center talking about how he just loves to help
> out his fellow man, and how good he feels at night knowing he made a difference.
> They've created a monster. Dude, you're killing it. Your company PAID you to go out
> and give this money away with cameras rolling... can you suck any harder on the
> douche bag?

They need to go look at the recipient, to see what difference that $500 really made, to see if they really "made a difference" at all.
That amount of money might pay a bill and buy a couple weeks worth of food here. It goes farther in other places, but after four months, you can be pretty sure she's in the same condition she was back then.

"Making a difference" money starts in the tens of thousands, when it can pay mortgages, settle debts, or put someone through school. Maybe even little enough to get them reliable transportation to a job, if they aren't too bad off.

jibmums
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/24/09
Send PM

#296904 - 10/01/12 11:43 PM

I am not by the widest stretch of the imagination a religious person, but a quote from the bible sums it up beautifully:

“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret." ~ Matthew 6:2-4

My translation: give for the sake of giving and keep yer trap shut about it. Especially if it didn't come out of your pocket to begin with.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#296911 - 10/02/12 03:38 AM

Completely agree with you.

My grandfather used to have this thing where if someone was begging for change, he'd ask them what they needed it for. If they said "food", he would take that person out to lunch. If they said "clothes", he'd take them shopping. Everyone in the family had seen him do this, but you never heard a thing about it until you saw it happen. He never said a word before or after on the subject. Spoke louder than any words he could have said.

One day I was at my grandparents house and saw a seemingly homeless lady taking a bag full of vegetables from their garden. I went inside to point this out to my grandfather, and he responds with "Why don't you go bring her another bag, that one looks full." Again, not another word was spoken on any part of it. If he was ever directly asked about these things, the answer would always be something completely irrelevant.

Lesson I learned without being told? "Do good and shut your whore mouth."

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#296912 - 10/02/12 04:18 AM

So fucking lame

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 763 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1230