MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

alca
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/22/09
Send PM

Cps-2 hardware question
#296706 - 09/28/12 10:31 AM

Does any game on cps-2 uses priority masks for tiles ?
I mean, the four priority levels, each associated to a transparency mask which allows sprites to be displayed behind or in front of pixels on the same tilemap depending on the priority (group) level of tiles ?

I am trying to use this effect on cps-2 like it works on cps-1 but with no effect. Whatever tiles priorities I set, the sprites always are in front of them...

Also, do you have any detailed information on how obj priority registrer, specific to cps-2 work ? Looking
at mame sourcecode is not very clear...

thank you

alca
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Cps-2 hardware question new [Re: alca]
#296708 - 09/28/12 01:58 PM

answering to myself. The mame cps-2 video driver doesn't seem to handle sprite occlusion correctly, so priority masks for tiles don't work.

Has it been verified on real hardware ? Or maybe it is because no cps-2 game use this feature ?

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

#296728 - 09/28/12 09:41 PM

This MT bug looks like it might be related: http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=4954

If you're developing homebrew software for any arcade platform, you should really be testing it on real hardware rather than on MAME.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Cps-2 hardware question new [Re: AWJ]
#296732 - 09/28/12 10:21 PM

> This MT bug looks like it might be related: http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=4954
>
> If you're developing homebrew software for any arcade platform, you should really be
> testing it on real hardware rather than on MAME.

... and report (with numerous details) any issues where MAME does not match behavior of real hardware on MAMETesters.

- Stiletto

alca
MAME Fan
Send PM

#296779 - 09/29/12 03:07 PM Attachment: 2.rar 1763 KB (10 downloads)

> This MT bug looks like it might be related: http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=4954
>
> If you're developing homebrew software for any arcade platform, you should really be
> testing it on real hardware rather than on MAME.

Here is a snapshot of mvscu for 0.146 right before
the bug appears:

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

#296813 - 09/30/12 01:11 AM

Why are you posting that here? You're the one who's trying to figure out how it works.

H*ze says that that mvsc bug is probably related to raster interrupts (something not getting handled properly when you change the layer priorities in mid-frame) and as far as he knows MAME's implementation of cps2 priority mixing is complete and accurate. He suggests you look at the "spotlight" effect in csclub's attract mode, and the sfa2 character select screen.

alca
MAME Fan
Send PM

#296833 - 09/30/12 10:31 AM

Sorry, I don't wanted to offense you. This snapshot is easier to reproduce the bug than the one on MT, so I thought it would help you.

Anyway, I followed your suggestion about sfa2 and cslub. However, the spotlight effect the stage selection screen don't seem to be related to the priority masks since I have disabled them in the video driver to check, with no difference.

I will test my code on real hardware and let you know what it gives.

thanks

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 194 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1361