Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

No, it ISN'T in ice cream
#296602 - 09/26/12 11:24 PM

So a buddy of mine comes over this weekend to grill some steaks with me, and he's rubbing these giant rocks of salt all over the meat, and smashing them up to sprinkle on top, and melting them in butter... all around basically eating this rock salt, so I'm like "Where'd you get these giant rocks of salt?"

He points to a box of Morton's Ice Cream Salt, and I'm like, "Dude, you can't eat this shit!"

And he's like, "What are you talking about, it goes in ice cream."

"Since when have you ever had salty ice cream, man. It goes AROUND the ice cream vat to make it colder, it doesn't go IN it. It says right on the box 'Not for human consumption."

The Gatinha comes over... "What's going on?"

"He's cooking with ice cream salt!"

"So... it goes in ice cream."

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: No, it ISN'T in ice cream new [Re: GatKong]
#296603 - 09/26/12 11:35 PM

LOL

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: No, it ISN'T in ice cream new [Re: redk9258]
#296604 - 09/27/12 02:19 AM

How were the steaks? Cold?

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Newport, RI
Send PM

#296606 - 09/27/12 02:32 AM

I don't know anything about Ice Cream Salt, so maybe this is incorrect... but it says here (for Morton's brand) that it is 'Rock salt for ice cream and cooking'. And in the directions: For making ice cream: mix 1 part morton ice cream salt with 8 parts crushed ice.

And there's this:
http://curiosity.discovery.com/question/why-there-salt-ice-cream

Quote:

Salt is used in ice cream because of a special property it possesses: It lowers the freezing temperature of water. Consider making the most basic ice cream. You would mix together milk or cream, sugar and maybe eggs and some vanilla. But this mixture has to be frozen in order for it to become ice cream. You could try to pack it with ice, but milk just isn't going to freeze at 32 degrees F (0 degrees C), so you're going to need a little help. That's where salt comes in. If you pour salt on ice, it creates a briny mix that has a temperature nearing 0 degrees F (-18 degrees C) -- it's not "solid" like ice is, but it's nonetheless colder! This brine is so cold that it can easily freeze your ice cream mixture.

Given peoples' long-standing love affair with ice cream, it's a lucky thing salt has this particular characteristic. After all, we've been gobbling up ice cream in mass doses for more than 150 years. In 1846, the U.S. was home to the invention of the hand-cranked ice cream freezer. It was just a few years later that the delicious treat was being manufactured to a large scale. While that may have been the beginning of what we see today in the supermarket's long freezer filled with all manner of ice cream flavors, you can actually go all the way back to ancient Rome to find Emperor Nero giving banquet guests cream that had been frozen in snow. Even Thomas Jefferson knew how to make ice cream, having learned how while he was in France. The future author of the Declaration of Independence brought back the recipes he'd learned so he could make his own ice cream. Admittedly, it sounds more a like a very "Ben Franklin" kind of thing to do, but there you have it -- Jefferson was a founding father with a sweet tooth, apparently [source: Dairy Farmers of Canada].

www.randyrobbinsmusic.com
RandyRobbinsMusic on Facebook

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: No, it ISN'T in ice cream new [Re: snake78]
#296607 - 09/27/12 02:46 AM

From Morton's own web page:

Quote:

MORTON® ICE CREAM SALT

Product Overview:
Morton® Ice Cream Salt can be mixed with ice for freezing delicious homemade desserts to rival any ice cream shop.
**Not intended for consumption.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: No, it ISN'T in ice cream new [Re: snake78]
#296610 - 09/27/12 03:18 AM

> I don't know anything about Ice Cream Salt, so maybe this is incorrect... but it says
> here (for Morton's brand) that it is 'Rock salt for ice cream and cooking'. And in
> the directions: For making ice cream: mix 1 part morton ice cream salt with 8 parts
> crushed ice.

Have you ever seen an ice cream maker? The ice and salt go in an outer container, and the ice cream goes in a separate container in the middle. The salt is just used to cool the ice cream, it doesn't actually go in the ice cream.

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Newport, RI
Send PM

Re: No, it ISN'T in ice cream new [Re: DMala]
#296611 - 09/27/12 03:22 AM

> > I don't know anything about Ice Cream Salt, so maybe this is incorrect...
> Have you ever seen an ice cream maker?

Nope. As I said, I don't know anything about it... never made my own ice cream... just was curious so I did a very quick google search...

www.randyrobbinsmusic.com
RandyRobbinsMusic on Facebook

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#296612 - 09/27/12 04:28 AM

You can eat rock salt. In fact, they make "salt grinders" which are like pepper grinders, except they grind rock salt.

The only difference with stuff sold as "ice cream salt" is that its usually a lower grade of salt that may have impurities in it. I guess it's possible that it might have unhealthy impurities, but I doubt it.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Next weekend; Make Homemade Ice Cream [nt] new [Re: GatKong]
#296615 - 09/27/12 04:57 AM

Good story.

LEVEL-4

BadMouth
Arcade Racing Fan
Reged: 06/13/11
Send PM

#296673 - 09/27/12 09:56 PM

A penguin's car breaks down and he goes accross the street to have some ice cream while the walrus works on it.

He's messy and has a bit of it on his face when he comes back.

The walrus says "looks like you blew a seal."

drewcifer
One bad Mutha-(shut yo' mouth!)
Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Sweden
Send PM

#296687 - 09/28/12 01:29 AM

> The Gatinha comes over... "What's going on?"
>
> "He's cooking with ice cream salt!"
>
> "So... it goes in ice cream."

So what you're saying is your wife is the Kosmo Kramer of the household?

Admit it, you left out describing the part where she:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XXSGV5wEv1o#!

Andrew

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 272 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1392