#296190 - 09/20/12 04:46 PM

looks like nice $5 cellphone game

399,00EUR ??? WTF they thinking, now is 2012, not 1992

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: New shooting game being developed for the Neogeo new [Re: MetalliC]
#296191 - 09/20/12 04:53 PM

It's a custom hardware cart with a USB connection for updates though, not a download. They port the games to iOS sometimes (their last shooter at least) and sell for a few dollars. Anyway I'm not defending the price but that's what a new Neogeo cart kit costs, and I have no doubt that the batch of 50-75 MVS carts will sell out at that price. Maybe other small developers should jump on the bandwagon and start making games for the NG again because this form of low run high price carts is a sure sell. And then there's AES. And iOS. And...DC?

HowardC
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/15/04
Send PM

Re: New shooting game being developed for the Neogeo new [Re: Smitdogg]
#296193 - 09/20/12 05:11 PM

Not to mention the fact that it's a vertical game.

"Hey kids! Spend an insaine amount of money on a sub-par neogeo game that you CAN'T play on your neogeo cab!"

I'm just saying.... I'm suprised nobody has mentioned that bit yet.

Nomax
Ryo Hazuki
Reged: 11/19/03
Loc: Belgium
Send PM

Re: New shooting game being developed for the Neogeo new [Re: HowardC]
#296195 - 09/20/12 05:30 PM

> Not to mention the fact that it's a vertical game.
>
> "Hey kids! Spend an insaine amount of money on a sub-par neogeo game that you CAN'T
> play on your neogeo cab!"
>
> I'm just saying.... I'm suprised nobody has mentioned that bit yet.

Actually, you can play it with an horizontal screen thanks to this option: "Switchable between vertical (TATE) and horizontal controls (YOKO)".

It rotates the controls. Ok it won't be a vertical shooter anymore and writings will be hard to read. But it's a nice feature nonetheless.

--------------------
NPlayers.ini - The multiplayer description file for MAME. (Linux user #448789)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#296198 - 09/20/12 06:09 PM

> Not to mention the fact that it's a vertical game.

Yeah, this whole thing seems pretty weak even by NGDEVTEAM's normal lack of standards. Random Korean stuff like Hotdog Storm looks and sounds better, not to mention doujin.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#296199 - 09/20/12 06:11 PM

> It's a custom hardware cart with a USB connection for updates though, not a download.

Remember, the Raspberry Pi can emulate an MVS and sells for $35. If their cost-of-goods on a USB+flash cart is over $20 they're doing it wrong.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: New shooting game being developed for the Neogeo new [Re: R. Belmont]
#296202 - 09/20/12 06:24 PM

I think (not sure) that they developed their own custom cart hardware all themselves and its protection so it's the time put into that factored in.

Anyway it's a new NG game and I don't know why I'm stuck defending it. Like it or don't.

jordanrom
Reged: 01/10/05
Send PM

#296209 - 09/20/12 08:24 PM

> http://www.ngdevdirect.com/product_info....a8d218220f84497

I always wondered why the Mame Devs never get together and make something like this on classic hardware like Sega Y board hardware or similar. I assume nobody has the time.

All that programming talent would make interesting use of the old hardware I'm sure.

I fantasies about porting/recoding a cool SNES/Mega drive shooter to this powerful hardware. In essence making a deluxe version of the game that the SNES hardware would just not be capable of.

Then again, I don't really have a clue about any of that stuff ha.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

There is one for Dreamcast as well. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#296217 - 09/21/12 01:09 AM

Just like the other game. Homebrew Arcade games and ports.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Lewis King
Reged: 12/25/11
Send PM

Re: There is one for Dreamcast as well. new [Re: Dullaron]
#296284 - 09/21/12 09:51 PM

I Saw this game, when i was 7 in the cafe bar.
I don´t forget that special bomb fires with animal faces from the game.
Classic as hell!

HowardC
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: New shooting game being developed for the Neogeo new [Re: jordanrom]
#296294 - 09/22/12 01:18 AM

> >
>
> I always wondered why the Mame Devs never get together and make something like this
> on classic hardware like Sega Y board hardware or similar. I assume nobody has the
> time.
>
> All that programming talent would make interesting use of the old hardware I'm sure.
>
> I fantasies about porting/recoding a cool SNES/Mega drive shooter to this powerful
> hardware. In essence making a deluxe version of the game that the SNES hardware would
> just not be capable of.
>
> Then again, I don't really have a clue about any of that stuff ha.

I'm not saying that they can't do it. A few in particular are talented enough, but remember that the MAME team emulates the hardware that games run on, they barely mess with the software end. So their ability to reverse-engineer hardware has nothing to do with their ability to make a game, which is software.

To give a more basic analogy a team of people working at a dvd player factory aren't going to be good at making films just because they understand the player that they run on.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#296302 - 09/22/12 04:30 AM

> > >
> >
> >
> > I always wondered why the Mame Devs never get together and make something like this
> > on classic hardware like Sega Y board hardware or similar. I assume nobody has the
> > time.
> >
> > All that programming talent would make interesting use of the old hardware I'm
> sure.
> >
> > I fantasies about porting/recoding a cool SNES/Mega drive shooter to this powerful
> > hardware. In essence making a deluxe version of the game that the SNES hardware
> would
> > just not be capable of.
> >
> > Then again, I don't really have a clue about any of that stuff ha.
>
> I'm not saying that they can't do it. A few in particular are talented enough, but
> remember that the MAME team emulates the hardware that games run on, they barely mess
> with the software end. So their ability to reverse-engineer hardware has nothing to
> do with their ability to make a game, which is software.
>
> To give a more basic analogy a team of people working at a dvd player factory aren't
> going to be good at making films just because they understand the player that they
> run on.

You are absolutely correct.

That said, from my knowledge at least five "big name" MAMEDEV work or have worked in the videogame industry. Just not on arcade games, though.

- Stiletto

HowardC
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: New shooting game being developed for the Neogeo new [Re: Stiletto]
#296303 - 09/22/12 06:23 AM

> > > >
> > >
> >
> > >
> > > I always wondered why the Mame Devs never get together and make something like
> this
> > > on classic hardware like Sega Y board hardware or similar. I assume nobody has
> the
> > > time.
> > >
> > > All that programming talent would make interesting use of the old hardware I'm
> > sure.
> > >
> > > I fantasies about porting/recoding a cool SNES/Mega drive shooter to this
> powerful
> > > hardware. In essence making a deluxe version of the game that the SNES hardware
> > would
> > > just not be capable of.
> > >
> > > Then again, I don't really have a clue about any of that stuff ha.
> >
> > I'm not saying that they can't do it. A few in particular are talented enough, but
> > remember that the MAME team emulates the hardware that games run on, they barely
> mess
> > with the software end. So their ability to reverse-engineer hardware has nothing to
> > do with their ability to make a game, which is software.
> >
> > To give a more basic analogy a team of people working at a dvd player factory
> aren't
> > going to be good at making films just because they understand the player that they
> > run on.
>
> You are absolutely correct.
>
> That said, from my knowledge at least five "big name" MAMEDEV work or have worked in
> the videogame industry. Just not on arcade games, though.
>
> - Stiletto

Yeah I wanted to make sure not to insult those guys in particular, they are more than capable, it's just one thing has nothing to do with the other.

The being said, there is another reason I didn't mention. Why would you code something for crappy, outdated, arcade hardware? I mean yeah there is the novelty of the act, but even the arcade industry itself has moved on. Most new arcade games run on stuff like the Taito Type X (or whatever variant they are on now). These aren't arcade boards at all, rather they are just pcs running windows with some rudimentary protection in place.

There is a reason for that. You can build a medium range pc and get more functionality and raw horsepower than any solid-state "chip based" arcade pcb from the past. I mean it's nice to be able to code in ancient variants of assembly and "programming languages" that are maybe one step above it, but it's just easier to do high level programming and concentrate on the gameplay and content, rather than trying to force functionality on a very specific piece of hardware.

And I/O is infinatley easier as well. Need to hook up controls? Just use the usb port... you can use off-the-shelf chips if you want. Ditto for output boards that control solenoids and lights and what-not. You don't need to hire a team of hardware engineers to build you a board, because a pc is plug-n-play.

so if the mame devs ever did want to make a game, I would much rather see them make one for pc-based arcade hardware rather than some antiquated pos board that limits what they can do. And no I'm not bashign the neogeo or anything, all old hardware is equally outdated.

jordanrom
Reged: 01/10/05
Send PM

#296548 - 09/26/12 04:28 AM

> The being said, there is another reason I didn't mention. Why would you code
> something for crappy, outdated, arcade hardware? I mean yeah there is the novelty of
> the act, but even the arcade industry itself has moved on. Most new arcade games run
> on stuff like the Taito Type X (or whatever variant they are on now). These aren't
> arcade boards at all, rather they are just pcs running windows with some rudimentary
> protection in place.
>
> There is a reason for that. You can build a medium range pc and get more
> functionality and raw horsepower than any solid-state "chip based" arcade pcb from
> the past. I mean it's nice to be able to code in ancient variants of assembly and
> "programming languages" that are maybe one step above it, but it's just easier to do
> high level programming and concentrate on the gameplay and content, rather than
> trying to force functionality on a very specific piece of hardware.
>
> And I/O is infinatley easier as well. Need to hook up controls? Just use the usb
> port... you can use off-the-shelf chips if you want. Ditto for output boards that
> control solenoids and lights and what-not. You don't need to hire a team of hardware
> engineers to build you a board, because a pc is plug-n-play.
>
> so if the mame devs ever did want to make a game, I would much rather see them make
> one for pc-based arcade hardware rather than some antiquated pos board that limits
> what they can do. And no I'm not bashign the neogeo or anything, all old hardware is
> equally outdated.

Well I think you missed my point or I wasn’t very clear to begin with. Why you ask? Because it would be a cool art project. Sure the hardware is outdated but so what. The challenge is doing it and the result. This is what matters. Why climb a mountain? Surely you could just drive...

I know this forum has a lot of technical people so maybe that isn’t the norm around here. And you are right, Tato type X is more like a PC, but that is the problem. Go ahead and make a PC game. That is nothing special anymore. It *might* be just another un-special game in the boredom that is the current state of the gaming world.

I say you missed my point because you’re obviously wrapped up in specs and connectivity ad nauseam. That is cool, but I assume you’re not an artist? That kind of thinking in my opinion could have been the end of so many cool projects and is just toxic to creative people.

I mean, how cool would it be to have a new 2D-Shmup programmed on older yet-semi powerful arcade hardware? See for me, I was never satisfied with arcade ports on the SNES and Genesis. I always wanted just that little extra that arcade hardware could do. I don’t think I’m alone in that respect. I just think it would be really cool to have a new original shooter that one could actually burn onto ROMs and play. Scaling and rotation always dazzled me. I think this is why I think using the Sega Y board would be really neat in that respect.

Meh, maybe I’m just weird.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 337 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4053