MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Dullaron
Mitchell or Dunard Garaus
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

OK I have some good question.
#295947 - 09/17/12 08:18 AM

Can PS games run off of the PS2 BIOS? We all know that PS games can run on the PS2 machines. How this works?

I never seen a PS2 Emulator be able to do this. Not even a PCSX2 Emulator can do this. I would like to see MESS team tried.

Btw: When will MESS add the PS2 support?

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: OK I have some good question. new [Re: Dullaron]
#295953 - 09/17/12 12:40 PM

The PS2 BIOS hasn't got a thing to do with playing PS games, the hardware of the PS1 is built into the PS2 motherboard, there's no emulation required.

The fact is PS2 emulation support still isn't at the best it could be, and most are HLE and don't run according to hardware so it's not likely PS1 could work great, plus, there are already Ps1 emulators.

Maybe in future but AFIAK don't sony still sell the PS2 since it's one of the most popular consoles?

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

#295954 - 09/17/12 12:44 PM

The PS2 runs PS1 games using a combination of hardware and software emulation. The sound and I/O CPU in the PS2 is the same CPU type as the main (and only) CPU in the PS1. This CPU and the PS2 sound and I/O interfaces (to controllers, memory cards and the CD drive) can be switched into a mode where they emulate the PS1 CPU and its corresponding hardware interfaces, hiding away all the PS2-specific registers and capabilities. Meanwhile, the PS2 main CPU (aka the Emotion Engine) runs a software emulator that emulates the PS1 graphics hardware. The emulator is built into the PS2 BIOS.

In short: graphics are software-emulated, everything else is running directly on the bare hardware. That's why you need a PS1 memory card to save PS1 games.

This is somewhat similar to how Sega Master System games run on the Genesis: the games run on the Genesis sound CPU which is the same as the Master System main CPU, and all the hardware is switched into backward-compatibility modes. The difference is that on the Genesis the graphics are also done using hardware backward-compatibility and (as far as I know) the main CPU is simply turned off when playing a Master System game.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: OK I have some good question. new [Re: Naoki]
#295964 - 09/17/12 03:18 PM

> The PS2 BIOS hasn't got a thing to do with playing PS games, the hardware of the PS1
> is built into the PS2 motherboard, there's no emulation required.

Incorrect. Part of the hardware is built in, but the graphics and a few other things are emulated using software running on the EE. A properly working PS2 emulator should indeed support the back-compatibility mode, we just don't seem to have any of those yet.

FMecha
MAME's (Armchair) Motorsports Consultant
Reged: 01/18/09
Send PM

Re: OK I have some good question. new [Re: R. Belmont]
#296186 - 09/20/12 01:27 PM

> > The PS2 BIOS hasn't got a thing to do with playing PS games, the hardware of the
> PS1
> > is built into the PS2 motherboard, there's no emulation required.
>
> Incorrect. Part of the hardware is built in, but the graphics and a few other things
> are emulated using software running on the EE. A properly working PS2 emulator should
> indeed support the back-compatibility mode, we just don't seem to have any of those
> yet.

Even on stable versions of PCSX2, backward compatibility is still unsupported IIRC.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: OK I have some good question. new [Re: FMecha]
#296265 - 09/21/12 04:49 PM

> A properly working PS2 emulator
> should
> > indeed support the back-compatibility mode, we just don't seem to have any of those
> > yet.
>
> Even on stable versions of PCSX2, backward compatibility is still unsupported IIRC.

You should read that as pcsx2 isn't a properly working ps2 emulator. Just because they say it's stable and it allows you to pl4y th3 g4m3zzzz!!!!1, if it doesn't play ps1 games then it's not emulating it properly.

The PS1 emulator on the PS2 isn't that great anyway, it has to patch some games to make them work.

Dullaron
Mitchell or Dunard Garaus
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: OK I have some good question. new [Re: ]
#296271 - 09/21/12 05:59 PM

> > A properly working PS2 emulator
> > should
> > > indeed support the back-compatibility mode, we just don't seem to have any of
> those
> > > yet.
> >
> > Even on stable versions of PCSX2, backward compatibility is still unsupported IIRC.
>
>
> You should read that as pcsx2 isn't a properly working ps2 emulator. Just because
> they say it's stable and it allows you to pl4y th3 g4m3zzzz!!!!1, if it doesn't play
> ps1 games then it's not emulating it properly.
>
> The PS1 emulator on the PS2 isn't that great anyway, it has to patch some games to
> make them work.

Well they only working on this just for PS2 games only. They do not want to work on the other half.

Never know. Someone might grab the sources and then remake it from scratch to get both to work right without those patching and hacking stuff. But then again won't happen at all.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#296274 - 09/21/12 06:40 PM

> Well they only working on this just for PS2 games only. They do not want to work on
> the other half.

It's up to them whether they want to make a fully working ps2 emulator. However you can't have it both ways, it can't be a fully working ps2 emulator unless it emulates the full ps2.

> Never know. Someone might grab the sources and then remake it from scratch to get
> both to work right without those patching and hacking stuff. But then again won't
> happen at all.

pSXAuthor was working on a PS2 emulator that worked properly, don't know how far he got.

I was referring to patches that Sony apply to PS1 games to run them on a PS2, although I think they might be more like emulator switches than code patches. There are some in rom but they can also be loaded from memory card (not sure if any ever where). It was a buffer overflow in the game specific patches loaded from memory card that the independence exploit used for booting homebrew using a memory card and PS1 disc.

Edited by smf (09/21/12 06:43 PM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 182 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2216