Loc: California
Send PM

Compiling page updated
#295401 - 09/09/12 07:38 PM

MAME Compiling Page: updated for 0.146u5

Compiling page has been updated:

• Information updated to build 0.146u5
  • Information updated for building MAMEUI
  • Added a batch file to run a command prompt with Administrative rights, so that you won't get patch.exe errors and don't have to rename the file

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Compiling page updated new [Re: Mr. Do]
#295405 - 09/09/12 08:48 PM

AaronGiles
Galaxiwarrior
Send PM

#295423 - 09/09/12 10:24 PM

> Added a batch file to run a command prompt with Administrative rights, so that you
> won't get patch.exe errors and don't have to rename the file

Um, no. You just need that patch.exe.manifest file that I included in previous builds.

Please don't encourage more people to run as administrator needlessly.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: Compiling page updated new [Re: AaronGiles]
#295442 - 09/10/12 02:36 AM

Shouldn't it be included with the compile tools?

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#295446 - 09/10/12 05:51 AM

Does "diff" need a manifest too?

I mean for people who plan on submitting code changes, not for compiling, obviously.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

#295449 - 09/10/12 06:08 AM

> > Added a batch file to run a command prompt with Administrative rights, so that you
> > won't get patch.exe errors and don't have to rename the file
>
> Um, no. You just need that patch.exe.manifest file that I included in previous
> builds.
>
> Please don't encourage more people to run as administrator needlessly.

Found it... I'll update it tomorrow.

Roman
Regular
Send PM

#295458 - 09/10/12 08:56 AM

maybe give a hint that -if you started patch.exe already without having the manifest file- you need to remove some keys in the registry to work with the manifest file afterwards.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#295505 - 09/11/12 12:39 AM

>
>
>
> Compiling page has been updated:
>
> Information updated to build 0.146u5
> Information updated for building MAMEUI
> Added a batch file to run a command prompt with Administrative rights, so that you
> won't get patch.exe errors and don't have to rename the file

Every time I click that link, it keeps saying "404 Not Found."

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Compiling page updated new [Re: Master O]
#295507 - 09/11/12 12:42 AM

Because the url is wrong.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Compiling page updated new [Re: Master O]
#295509 - 09/11/12 12:43 AM

> >
> >
> >
> > Compiling page has been updated:
> >
> > Information updated to build 0.146u5
> > Information updated for building MAMEUI
> > Added a batch file to run a command prompt with Administrative rights, so that you
> > won't get patch.exe errors and don't have to rename the file
>
> Every time I click that link, it keeps saying "404 Not Found."

Should be fixed now. The hyperlink didn't include http:// so it assumed it was an internal link to the forum and not a separate external page.

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Re: Compiling page updated new [Re: krick]
#295519 - 09/11/12 02:02 AM

No, only "patch". By default, UAC assumes that any .exe whose filename contains the words "install", "setup" or "patch" needs to be run as Administrator. It's the filename that's important, not what the .exe actually tries to do.

marcsandusky
Collector of games I never have time to play...
Reged: 04/22/06
Loc: Eastvale, CA
Send PM

#295534 - 09/11/12 04:09 AM

Is it useful to continue to encourage MAMEUI, especially when QMC2 seems to be a better, more generic (at least more portable) way to go? The cross-platform UI apporach seems to be more interesting.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: Compiling page updated new [Re: marcsandusky]
#295536 - 09/11/12 04:23 AM

> Is it useful to continue to encourage MAMEUI, especially when QMC2 seems to be a
> better, more generic (at least more portable) way to go? The cross-platform UI
> apporach seems to be more interesting.

Yes it's useful for people who want to build MAMEUI. It's not like it is on mamedev.org.

If you want to use / build QMC2 then you are welcome to. Maybe you could do a write up like Mr. Do has done.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Compiling page updated new [Re: redk9258]
#295539 - 09/11/12 04:33 AM

MAMEUI can't look like this

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573028/QMC2%20Notes.png

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: Compiling page updated new [Re: redk9258]
#295540 - 09/11/12 04:36 AM

> > Maybe you could do a write
> up like Mr. Do has done.

Hmmm... or maybe I should check it out. =D

And it'll have to wait 'til tomorrow to re-update... long day... time for bed.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: Compiling page updated new [Re: AWJ]
#295552 - 09/11/12 07:27 AM

> No, only "patch". By default, UAC assumes that any .exe whose filename contains the
> words "install", "setup" or "patch" needs to be run as Administrator. It's the
> filename that's important, not what the .exe actually tries to do.

Really? That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Is that supposed to increase security? I hope someone at Microsoft got fired for that.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Just rename patch to pat. Problem solve. =) new [Re: Mr. Do]
#295555 - 09/11/12 08:16 AM

That what I did. Still works without the Windows thinking it Microsoft updates is running. No need to run Administrative rights.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Re: Compiling page updated new [Re: krick]
#295558 - 09/11/12 08:52 AM

No, there's actually a sensible reason for it. Microsoft's goal with UAC was to finally break the vicious circle of "Everyone runs Windows with Administrator privileges because there are so many applications that require it, usually for stupid reasons like putting config files or user data into C:\Program Files; and because everyone does run as Administrator, there's no incentive for application vendors to fix their applications".

There are two possible reasons an application might want to write into C:\Program Files (or another protected folder):

1) It's an old Win9x-vintage application, or one whose author never got the memo about Windows becoming a multiuser OS where you can't just write files wherever you want. In this case, UAC silently redirects the write to a "virtual" copy of the protected folder under the current user's home folder. This way, users can run their old and broken apps without ever seeing a UAC prompt and without any chance that the broken app can trash system files.

2) It's an application installer or updater, in which case it really does need to write to the actual C:\Program Files folder, not to a virtual copy of it, and therefore UAC really does have to prompt the user for an Administrator password.

Microsoft needed a way to distinguish between 1) and 2) that was compatible with old applications and that didn't require user intervention. The method they chose was a heuristic that is described here under "Installer Detection". Short version: any executable whose metadata contains certain strings associated with installers or updaters (such as "InstallShield") or whose filename implies that it's an installer or updater is treated as 2), meaning you get a UAC prompt when you try to run it.

Edited by AWJ (09/11/12 09:40 AM)

BPzeBanshee
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/22/12
Send PM

#295567 - 09/11/12 03:03 PM

This is quite handy! I was learning to compile MAME by myself for a single driver in mind and reading it before was a little difficult.

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but could we see a guide to compiling MAME Plus without using their presetup batch for compiling the whole package? With standard MAME/MAMEUI one can simply choose not to compile the UI version but every time I've tried to tinker with MAME Plus it crashes all over the place.

Ashura-X
MAME Compiler!
Reged: 01/22/04
Send PM

Re: Compiling page updated new [Re: BPzeBanshee]
#295568 - 09/11/12 03:44 PM

Here mameplus compiles just fine...
Are you sure of downloading the right source code from mameplus at http://mameplus.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mameplus/trunk/mamep ?

Edited by Ashura-X (09/11/12 03:45 PM)

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: Compiling page updated new [Re: AWJ]
#295581 - 09/12/12 01:57 AM

> No, there's actually a sensible reason for it. Microsoft's goal with UAC was to...

No, I understand the point of UAC. I'm fine with that. I also understand that they needed to use various ways to detect installers. However I think that using the filename was questionable. They should have just built up a database of installer "signatures" and went with that. They could push out updates to the signatures with windows update as new ones are found, similar to the way they use virus signatures. For example, there's probably less than 10 installer manufacturers that account for over 90 percent of all installers ever made. Think: InstallShield, InstallAnywhere, Wise, VISE, Inno, etc... It shouldn't be too hard to build a generic signature database that covers those popular installers (in their various incarnations) without having to have specific signatures for each product being installed.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#295659 - 09/13/12 05:00 AM

Why not ditch MAMEUI, MAME Plus! and all that unofficial crap and have the guide show users that are otherwise unaware that the MAME/MESS sources are now merged and they have the option of compiling either one or a combined UME build.

For simplicity the MESS ROMs might as well be added to MAME to further eliminate errors that new users might come across.

BPzeBanshee
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/22/12
Send PM

Re: Compiling page updated new [Re: Ashura-X]
#295665 - 09/13/12 09:36 AM

Yeah, it compiles just fine following its own batch file and unmodified makefiles, but if you want to compile it for a *single driver* it carks it, where standard MAME has no issues.
I must be missing something surely because the subtarget I use compiles for normal MAME fine so it must be something specific I have to do to MAME Plus which I can't find compiling info for anywhere.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 137 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3143