View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#294558 - 08/27/12 02:57 AM

All of the textures are now mapped. Not bad for full-custom one-off hardware with 3 CPUs

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Ville: WIP part 5 new [Re: R. Belmont]
#294566 - 08/27/12 04:11 AM

> All of the textures are now mapped. Not bad for full-custom one-off hardware with 3
> CPUs

Impressive. Now let's see him get G-Darius's music running.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

colour_thief
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/01/04
Send PM

Re: Ville: WIP part 5 new [Re: Master O]
#294569 - 08/27/12 05:33 AM

> > All of the textures are now mapped. Not bad for full-custom one-off hardware with 3
> > CPUs
>
> Impressive. Now let's see him get G-Darius's music running.

I'd love for G-Darius to have working music as much as the next guy, but why are you assigning the task to Ville?

MrMichaelHill13
Huge Konami Fan
Reged: 08/23/12
Loc: -censored-
Send PM

#294570 - 08/27/12 05:38 AM

Great! Now I hope for Konami ZR107 to be fixed next, since it has the least problems. Not rushing, just exitced.

I like a LOT of racing, and an few other games... :3 I wanna thank ALL the devepolers, creators, and testers of MAME. You really helped me out.

Spelunker
In need of a new user name
Reged: 06/02/12
Send PM

Re: Ville: WIP part 5 new [Re: colour_thief]
#294571 - 08/27/12 05:42 AM

Quote:

I'd love for G-Darius to have working music as much as the next guy, but why are you assigning the task to Ville?

Guessing because he's on a roll!

Solstar
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/08
Send PM

#294579 - 08/27/12 09:40 AM

very nice job

Blue limbo
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/08/11
Loc: Rome,Italy
Send PM

#294581 - 08/27/12 10:56 AM

I hope after that Ville complete work on Cobra system doesn't forget developments on abandoned but more easy Konami M2 hardware.

Lewis King
Reged: 12/25/11
Send PM

#294583 - 08/27/12 01:51 PM

Only one week.
VilleDevs you are the best!
0:48 Slepping Dogs Wei Shen? No.

CptGuapo
Beat'em-ups Lover
Reged: 03/18/08
Loc: Off to Never Never Land
Send PM

#294586 - 08/27/12 02:35 PM

Hmmm... Now I can see... Another fighting game! Yeah! Never heard of it. Looks like "Tekken meets Soul Calibur without weapons". At these moments I miss MAWS a lot to know some details...

Is this the only game for Cobra Hardware?

"Mythology is what grownups believe, folklore is what they tell children and religion is both."

Cypress
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/02/08
Loc: France
Send PM

Re: Ville: WIP part 5 new [Re: CptGuapo]
#294587 - 08/27/12 02:47 PM

Yeah, the only one.

http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=fighting-bujutsu&page=detail&id=4187]

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=580

Osso1
Reged: 10/17/04
Send PM

Re: Ville: WIP part 5 new [Re: Cypress]
#294588 - 08/27/12 02:52 PM

No, according to the MAME driver there's Racing Jam DX, too.

Ville Linde
Slacker
Reged: 05/09/04
Send PM

Re: Ville: WIP part 5 new [Re: Blue limbo]
#294592 - 08/27/12 03:48 PM

> I hope after that Ville complete work on Cobra system doesn't forget developments on
> abandoned but more easy Konami M2 hardware.

If it was easy, I'd have done it already

But yeah, I'd love to see Polystars running.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Ville: WIP part 5 new [Re: Ville Linde]
#294598 - 08/27/12 05:43 PM

> > I hope after that Ville complete work on Cobra system doesn't forget developments
> on
> > abandoned but more easy Konami M2 hardware.
>
> If it was easy, I'd have done it already
>
> But yeah, I'd love to see Polystars running.

Never say never!

Hey, that reminds me: I need to do something.

- Stiletto

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Ville: WIP part 5 new [Re: Blue limbo]
#294615 - 08/27/12 11:43 PM

> I hope after that Ville complete work on Cobra system doesn't forget developments on
> abandoned but more easy Konami M2 hardware.

Phil Bennett had it fully working years ago, but due to a license tangle with FreeDO he cannot legally submit the work.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Ville: WIP part 5 new [Re: Osso1]
#294616 - 08/27/12 11:44 PM

> No, according to the MAME driver there's Racing Jam DX, too.

Racing Jam DX is different hardware; it's Cobra based, but (in true Konami fashion) different.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Ville: WIP part 5 new [Re: Master O]
#294618 - 08/27/12 11:47 PM

> > All of the textures are now mapped. Not bad for full-custom one-off hardware with 3
> > CPUs
>
> Impressive. Now let's see him get G-Darius's music running.

Right, because that's anything like what he's doing here.

I'll probably look at that again sometime before the end of the year if people will shut up and wait patiently.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#294626 - 08/28/12 02:24 AM

> > > All of the textures are now mapped. Not bad for full-custom one-off hardware with
> 3
> > > CPUs
> >
> > Impressive. Now let's see him get G-Darius's music running.
>
> Right, because that's anything like what he's doing here.
>
> I'll probably look at that again sometime before the end of the year if people will
> shut up and wait patiently.

My apologies, R. Belmont. I was actually being sarcastic in that someone can get a game running that quickly, but not sound for an ancient shmup (but the hardware is unique, from what I've read)

Please take your time on the sound. It's not like the game isn't playable without it.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

AtTheMoment
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/02/08
Send PM

#294638 - 08/28/12 06:49 AM

> > I hope after that Ville complete work on Cobra system doesn't forget developments
> on
> > abandoned but more easy Konami M2 hardware.
>
> Phil Bennett had it fully working years ago, but due to a license tangle with FreeDO
> he cannot legally submit the work.

I think you're confusing M2 with the original 3DO (Opera). There isn't a single chip from the original 3DO used in M2, so FreeDO source wouldn't be an issue.

Besides, I thought FreeDO released their source last year for anyone to use and gave up all further development. The FourDO developers have certainly eclipsed them in every way with their open-source emulator.

alca
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/22/09
Send PM

Re: Ville: WIP part 5 new [Re: AtTheMoment]
#294642 - 08/28/12 10:57 AM

Part 6 on Ville Linde page

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

#294648 - 08/28/12 03:05 PM

> > > I hope after that Ville complete work on Cobra system doesn't forget developments
> > on
> > > abandoned but more easy Konami M2 hardware.
> >
> > Phil Bennett had it fully working years ago, but due to a license tangle with
> FreeDO
> > he cannot legally submit the work.
>
> I think you're confusing M2 with the original 3DO (Opera). There isn't a single chip
> from the original 3DO used in M2, so FreeDO source wouldn't be an issue.
>
> Besides, I thought FreeDO released their source last year for anyone to use and gave
> up all further development. The FourDO developers have certainly eclipsed them in
> every way with their open-source emulator.

They released the source code under a terrifyingly bad license iirc, one of those licenses written so poorly that you're effectively violating it by reading any of the source code and ever programming anything again for the rest of your life. Or something like that.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#294657 - 08/28/12 04:43 PM

> I think you're confusing M2 with the original 3DO (Opera). There isn't a single chip
> from the original 3DO used in M2, so FreeDO source wouldn't be an issue.

Nope. As I understand it, Phil cooperated with them on an as-yet-unreleased M2 emulator. Meanwhile their source release is under a license which states essentially that if you've ever looked at any of their code, they own every program you've ever written (people think the GPL is viral; it's got nothing on this). And they refused a very polite request to make it more reasonable.

Spelunker
Send PM

#294663 - 08/28/12 05:09 PM

> Nope. As I understand it, Phil cooperated with them on an as-yet-unreleased M2
> emulator. Meanwhile their source release is under a license which states essentially
> that if you've ever looked at any of their code, they own every program you've ever
> written (people think the GPL is viral; it's got nothing on this).

Well I went and took a look at the licence as stated in the source code, it starts off well with saying it's based on LGPL which is quite permissive but then it basically adds several clauses which bans any commercial uses of the code or any knowledge gathered from the code, of course that restriction doesn't apply to them Anyway, not what I would call a great licence but not as bad as you made it out to be.

Mame/Mess licence bans commercial use and is also viral or am I missing something?

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: Ville: WIP part 5 new [Re: Spelunker]
#294665 - 08/28/12 05:16 PM

> Mame/Mess licence bans commercial use and is also viral or am I missing something?

you can use the MAME source as reference to write your own implementation and release the latter under whatever license you want (only forks of MAME itself cannot be released under other licenses).
with FourDO you cannot

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#294666 - 08/28/12 05:20 PM

> basically adds several clauses which bans any commercial uses of the code or any
> knowledge gathered from the code, of course that restriction doesn't apply to them
>
> Mame/Mess licence bans commercial use and is also viral or am I missing something?

The "any knowledge gathered from that code" is what makes it into the GIGANTIC HORROR LICENSE. It's totally permitted under the (L)GPL and MAME license to gain an understanding of the emulated hardware from our code and then write your own under whatever license you want. The FreeDO license doesn't even allow that; if you use their code as an Opera hardware reference and write your own completely different and original code, they still own it. That's a great deal more viral than MAME or (L)GPL.

Spelunker
Send PM

#294667 - 08/28/12 05:25 PM

Ah yes, that is true. This licence extends beyond copyright as it also affects 'knowledge' gathered. I agree, it's a really crappy licence

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#294680 - 08/28/12 06:55 PM

> Ah yes, that is true. This licence extends beyond copyright as it also affects
> 'knowledge' gathered. I agree, it's a really crappy licence

I can't comment too much at the moment but I will say that we _have_ (Phil and I were both involved) been recently approached by another of their developers to resolve this issue. However, both of us have been lacking in the time to tackle it - maybe this month.

That said, if the situation _can't_ be resolved, then we will need someone (like Ville or someone else) to completely rewrite it from scratch without looking at FreeDO sources or information.

- Stiletto

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Ville: WIP part 5 new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#294684 - 08/28/12 07:42 PM

Surely at some point there is no arguable legality to a license that pushes absurdity. I could add a page here with a license I made up saying if any of the info here is used elsewhere I own your thoughts for 5 years. Would you pay attention? You can't write a license saying you read this and I own your thoughts. And it's dumber to actually follow it than it is write it and assume compliance.

RdW
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/13/05
Send PM

#294814 - 08/30/12 11:14 PM

> if you use
> their code as an Opera hardware reference and write your own completely different and
> original code, they still own it.

LOL
thats like:
"if you look at my wife you give me the right to kill you"
i doubt this is enforceable or even legal, just a joke...

H@P
Lurker in perpetuity
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Seattle area
Send PM

#294869 - 08/31/12 10:18 PM

> shut up and wait patiently.

A bit more succinct than "sit back and wait for good things to happen."

H@P

... Now returning to shutting up and waiting patiently ...

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 135 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3891