MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Any advantage to mixing paint and primer?
#293852 - 08/15/12 01:33 AM

I hired a guy to paint a room which was dark green to a light orange.

He originally said he didn't need to prime the walls first, but I insisted he prime first because a test spot I did still showed hues of green through three coats of paint. I even went to the store and bought the primer for him to use before he arrived... then I had to go to work... I asked Gatinha to make sure he primed first.

I come home, and the walls are some funky shade of pink, and Gatinha explained that the fucker mixed paint into the primer. He gave my wife some bullshit story about how hard it would be to paint a soft orange color over pure white, and she bought it.

The only rational I can think of for mixing paint and primer for the primer coat is because you're hoping to finish the job with just one coat of paint.

I'm tempted to just fire the fuck and finish the job myself on what little spare time I have anymore (work is busy as hell... which is good, I'm not complaining... it pays the bills), but I don't want to can the ass before making sure he isn't right.

Anyone ever heard of an advantage to mixing some color into the primer coat? Am I just hot under the color because I'm over worked and pissed I'm paying a guy to do a job I'd normally do myself?

Your thoughts?

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Any advantage to mixing paint and primer? new [Re: GatKong]
#293854 - 08/15/12 02:35 AM

I've heard of tinting primer, but I don't think it is done with paint. Is he planning on painting over the primer?

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#293856 - 08/15/12 03:29 AM

> I hired a guy to paint a room which was dark green to a light orange.
>
> He originally said he didn't need to prime the walls first, but I insisted he prime
> first because a test spot I did still showed hues of green through three coats of
> paint. I even went to the store and bought the primer for him to use before he
> arrived... then I had to go to work... I asked Gatinha to make sure he primed first.
>
> I come home, and the walls are some funky shade of pink, and Gatinha explained that
> the fucker mixed paint into the primer. He gave my wife some bullshit story about how
> hard it would be to paint a soft orange color over pure white, and she bought it.
>
> The only rational I can think of for mixing paint and primer for the primer coat is
> because you're hoping to finish the job with just one coat of paint.
>
> I'm tempted to just fire the fuck and finish the job myself on what little spare time
> I have anymore (work is busy as hell... which is good, I'm not complaining... it pays
> the bills), but I don't want to can the ass before making sure he isn't right.
>
> Anyone ever heard of an advantage to mixing some color into the primer coat? Am I
> just hot under the color because I'm over worked and pissed I'm paying a guy to do a
> job I'd normally do myself?
>
> Your thoughts?

At best, you have a funny colored primer on your wall. At worst, the shit will bubble, peel, flake, or otherwise look like crap.

If that was me, that painter would be sanding the walls and starting over. That's if I can guarantee the mix he put up won't gel or otherwise not cure. If I can't ensure that, he's putting up new drywall.

//Then again, I'm a dick to people who can't do the job I paid them to do.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: Any advantage to mixing paint and primer? new [Re: italie]
#293859 - 08/15/12 05:07 AM

Quote:

He gave my wife some bullshit story about how
> hard it would be to paint a soft orange color over pure white, and she bought it.

Isn't painting on pure white the preferred method?

This guy makes a living from painting? Threaten him with bad publicity if he doesn't make things right.

My buddy paints/finishes houses and basements for a living. Most of his business comes from word of mouth advertising. If word spread that he was a hack, he'd be finding other work and with some months being really slow, he takes as many jobs as he can handle just to make ends meet.

amused
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/24/08
Send PM

#293884 - 08/15/12 09:56 PM

> I hired a guy to paint a room which was dark green to a light orange.
>
> He originally said he didn't need to prime the walls first, but I insisted he prime
> first because a test spot I did still showed hues of green through three coats of
> paint. I even went to the store and bought the primer for him to use before he
> arrived... then I had to go to work... I asked Gatinha to make sure he primed first.
>
> I come home, and the walls are some funky shade of pink, and Gatinha explained that
> the fucker mixed paint into the primer. He gave my wife some bullshit story about how
>
> ...
>
> Your thoughts?

Instead of having Gatinha supervise, why not give her the paint and brushes and have her do the job herself?

Well, what's done is done. If I were you, I would:

1) Give Gatinha a stern lecture on the importance of following instructions (yours, that is)

2) Go over with her what to do if the workman is being a dick

3) Do everything you can to ruin this guy

Tingoes
Old game finder!
Reged: 10/03/05
Send PM

Re: Any advantage to mixing paint and primer? new [Re: redk9258]
#293902 - 08/16/12 02:48 AM

Dont pay him and demand that he replace materials.
Call police, take him to court if he doesn't pay.

On interior and exterior walls and ceilings the paints should be water based acrylic.
On timber frames, doors and windows the paint should be oil based enamels or varnish and polyeurothanes for clearcoat timber finishes.
Use outdoor water based acrylic paint on weather exposed colored timber window frames and walls.
Use Oil based paints for outdoor metalwork and roofing.

In the bathrooms and wet areas that attract mould mix anti-mould into paints.

Always clean surfaces before painting, and sand them if there is flakey or old paint.

Always use quality brushes and rollers for painting, the results are worth it.

Clean brushes thoroughly - Mineral turpentine for oil based paints and varnishes - water for water based acrylics.

If you are using two pack polyurathanes use cheaper brushes or lambswool pads and throw away after use.

The painter you got is a hack - rip off merchant.
I have never heard of anyone stupid enough to mix primer and top coats together, less someone claiming to be a professional painter.
Make sure the dickhead used the right type of paints on your house walls/ceilings windows/sashes doors/frames by going through my checklist.
If he has painted acrylic paints on timber window frames and surrounds you will have to sand it off.
If he has painted oil based paints on your walls and ceilings the paint will have to be sanded back to acrylic otherwise it will peel off in sheets.

Report him to the authorities.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Thanks for all the input folks! new [Re: GatKong]
#293907 - 08/16/12 04:27 AM

Just wanted to have some fun with some of the feedback, everyone was helpful, and gave me the cojones to throw him out:

>Give Gatinha a stern lecture on the importance of following instructions (yours, that is)
Followed by her taking me over her knee and spanking me for being "uppity".

>Is he planning on painting over the primer?
I assume that was the plan.

>If that was me, that painter would be sanding the walls and starting over.
My experience with contractor-types is that once you decide their work sucks... you don't want them touching anything else, it just snowballs.

>Dont pay him and demand that he replace materials.
The time, energy, money and frustration spent trying to collect anything out of them far outweighs any compensation you'll get. Even worse, a friend of mine fired a guy for showing up drunk, and the guy caught him off guard at the end of the day in a headlock with a gun to his head demanding his day's pay, and then split town. He was in the news later that week arrested for killing a store clerk in a hold-up.

I paid the guy for his eight hours of work and said sayonara. By the way, thanks for all the painting pointers, Tingoes... looks like this will be my new weekend plans.

amused
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/24/08
Send PM

Re: Thanks for all the input folks! new [Re: GatKong]
#293910 - 08/16/12 05:03 AM

> > Dont pay him and demand that he replace materials.
> The time, energy, money and frustration spent trying to collect anything out of them
> far outweighs any compensation you'll get. Even worse, a friend of mine fired a guy
> for showing up drunk, and the guy caught him off guard at the end of the day in a
> headlock with a gun to his head demanding his day's pay, and then split town. He was
> in the news later that week arrested for killing a store clerk in a hold-up.
>
> I paid the guy for his eight hours of work and said sayonara. By the way, thanks for
> all the painting pointers, Tingoes... looks like this will be my new weekend plans.

About the guy your friend hired: was this in Texas, too? If it was, I hope the judge ordered the guy to (literally) dig his own grave.

About the fellow you hired: Too late... at least you and Gatinha could have made him drink some of his own paint/primer mix.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 123 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1124