MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

RPOR6V
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/03/12
Send PM

Tournament Table (Atari) - Inputs (Controllers)?
#293171 - 08/03/12 03:02 AM

Hi everyone,

Relative newbie here. I bought a used MAME cab that uses a Slikstik (one spinner). I've been able to set up controls for all the games I really like so far, including those with some kind of analog pedal (Pole Position) or spinner or paddle (Avalanche). I'd really like to be able to play the Atari title Tournament Table (one reason being it seems to be the closest thing to Pong in MAME), but no matter what I do to the "Inputs - This Game" settings I can't get any of the paddles on the screens to move a single pixel in any of the games except (for some reason) Breakout. Ideally I'd like to use the spinner and one of the joysticks for two player games or maybe the option of using the left and right joysticks so that both players have the same controllers. What am I doing wrong?

RPOR6V
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Tournament Table (Atari) - Inputs (Controllers)? new [Re: RPOR6V]
#293269 - 08/04/12 02:41 PM

So is this game just simply unplayable? I'm still banging my head against the wall trying to figure it out.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Tournament Table (Atari) - Inputs (Controllers)? new [Re: RPOR6V]
#293276 - 08/04/12 06:06 PM

> Hi everyone,
>
> Relative newbie here. I bought a used MAME cab that uses a Slikstik (one spinner).
> I've been able to set up controls for all the games I really like so far, including
> those with some kind of analog pedal (Pole Position) or spinner or paddle
> (Avalanche). I'd really like to be able to play the Atari title Tournament Table (one
> reason being it seems to be the closest thing to Pong in MAME), but no matter what I
> do to the "Inputs - This Game" settings I can't get any of the paddles on the screens
> to move a single pixel in any of the games except (for some reason) Breakout. Ideally
> I'd like to use the spinner and one of the joysticks for two player games or maybe
> the option of using the left and right joysticks so that both players have the same
> controllers. What am I doing wrong?

The closest thing to Pong in MAME is Pong. Hope you have a 1000w power supply, a 12GHz CPU clock and some dry ice around.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Tournament Table (Atari) - Inputs (Controllers)? new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#293282 - 08/04/12 08:15 PM

> The closest thing to Pong in MAME is Pong. Hope you have a 1000w power supply, a
> 12GHz CPU clock and some dry ice around.

A little exaggeration!

Yes, brand new in MAME is Pong support (not counting Juergen's old driver)
Benchmarked :

Quote:

Current pong about 70% in demo on i7-2600 3.4Ghz stock.
pongf is about 105% in demo on i7-2600 3.4Ghz stock.

source: http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=news&Number=292885#

- Stiletto

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Tournament Table (Atari) new [Re: Stiletto]
#293291 - 08/04/12 09:54 PM

>> The closest thing to Pong in MAME is Pong. Hope you have a 1000w power supply, a
>> 12GHz CPU clock and some dry ice around.

>A little exaggeration!

>Yes, brand new in MAME is Pong support (not counting Juergen's old driver)

I wonder why Juergen's TTL emulator, in early 2010, was running partially complete Pong at 4fps at the time. I tested/tried couriersud's recent work and it took maybe about 5 or 6 minutes before computer went to overdrive whereas with Juergen's work in 2010, it took less than a minute before computer started to struggle.

RPOR6V
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Tournament Table (Atari) new [Re: gregf]
#293298 - 08/05/12 12:16 AM

Well, okay, maybe technically I mis-spoke! But I'm betting it will be a LONG time before I'll be able to actually PLAY Pong at home. I'd like to be able to play Tournament Table if at all possible. Any advice or is this one of those games that's just not really playable in MAME?

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Tournament Table (Atari) new [Re: RPOR6V]
#293302 - 08/05/12 01:29 AM

> Well, okay, maybe technically I mis-spoke! But I'm betting it will be a LONG time
> before I'll be able to actually PLAY Pong at home. I'd like to be able to play
> Tournament Table if at all possible. Any advice or is this one of those games that's
> just not really playable in MAME?

I guess we'd need to know a few things:

- What version of MAME are you using?
- Are you adjusting the TAB menu controls for "Analog Controls"?

I only have a PC (no cab) and it controls better than expected with default settings with keyboard and also using the mouse. The game is a much lower resolution that Super Breakout with different video hardware and it's entirely possible the game itself is not programmed to be able to move "a pixel at a time" or anything like that you are looking for. All I know is that, here, it controls well enough than I can play and feel I'm in control of it.

RPOR6V
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Tournament Table (Atari) new [Re: Tafoid]
#293305 - 08/05/12 02:32 AM

Sorry, I think I did a bad job of explaining. It's not that I'm trying to get anything to move "a pixel at a time" - the problem is, I can't get any of the paddles on the screen to move at all (not even one pixel). I'm running MAME 0.145 on a cabinet that uses a SlikStik. Yes, I have tried adjusting the tab menu controls for "Analog Controls". I put in a virtual quarter or two (credits), select a game, and it runs, but no matter what I do I haven't been able to get any of the paddles to move on the screen. Sincere thanks for any help or advice you can give.

TafoidAdministrator
Send PM

#293307 - 08/05/12 02:53 AM

> Sorry, I think I did a bad job of explaining. It's not that I'm trying to get
> anything to move "a pixel at a time" - the problem is, I can't get any of the paddles
> on the screen to move at all (not even one pixel). I'm running MAME 0.145 on a
> cabinet that uses a SlikStik. Yes, I have tried adjusting the tab menu controls for
> "Analog Controls". I put in a virtual quarter or two (credits), select a game, and it
> runs, but no matter what I do I haven't been able to get any of the paddles to move
> on the screen. Sincere thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Does the controller work for other games that use a paddle/spinner/wheel like Tempest, Arkanoid or Super Sprint? Given you use a SlikStik, perhaps you do not have the CTRLR file set up correctly? If using a UI, look for Options, Default Game Options, Controllers, Default Input Layout and select "slikstik". If using command-line, it should be "-ctrlr slikstik".

Otherwise, I'm not sure what else could be causing problems.

RPOR6V
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Tournament Table (Atari) new [Re: Tafoid]
#293339 - 08/05/12 08:13 PM

Sorry, I forgot to answer the other part of your question. The Slikstik spinner is working fine for Tempest, Arkanoid, Avalanche, and Circus to name a few. I also use it as the steering wheel for driving games like Pole Position, Out Run and Hang On. Is there any way you could tell me or create screen shots of your settings for "Inputs (This Game)" and "Analog Controls" menus? I appreciate your answering my thread by the way!

TafoidAdministrator
Send PM

#293351 - 08/06/12 12:14 AM

> Sorry, I forgot to answer the other part of your question. The Slikstik spinner is
> working fine for Tempest, Arkanoid, Avalanche, and Circus to name a few. I also use
> it as the steering wheel for driving games like Pole Position, Out Run and Hang On.
> Is there any way you could tell me or create screen shots of your settings for
> "Inputs (This Game)" and "Analog Controls" menus? I appreciate your answering my
> thread by the way!

Well, being a tester I'm required to be able to test multiple versions with as little adjustment as possible. Nearly 100% of the time, I'll use whatever MAME throws at me for defaults. In this case, I needed to add "-mouse" to activate my mouse for the game to use as default, but all the mappings are default.

The best way you can experience 'default' for a tourtabl is to:

1) Move default.cfg and tourtabl.cfg to another location. It sounds like you've done substantial configuration to your setup globally and per game and I'd hate to have you up and delete.

2) Move your mame.ini and tourtabl.cfg (if it exists) from it's location to a safe place and use "mame -cc" to "createconfig" a new, default copy of mame.ini.

Try running again and see if you are able to move things.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 328 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1680