View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

gonna fiddle with a linux distro
#292919 - 07/31/12 03:44 PM

Actually, I'm gonna build a new computer out of older parts and decided to load up a linux distro on it.

Ubuntu seems very popular but I was wondering... why is 32bit recommended for the desktop version? 64bit is recommended for the server.

I want a full OS. I want to install gcc and whatever else I need to compile stuff and practice programming. but when I'm not messing with it, I may as well use it as some sort of media server so I also want to install XBMC on it.

So my second question is, do I want to download the desktop version (does it come with more stuff) since xbmc should install everything it needs, or should I install the server version?

If the desktop version is the way to go, is the 64bit version alright or shall I go with the recommended 32bit?

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: gonna fiddle with a linux distro new [Re: URherenow]
#292925 - 07/31/12 04:40 PM

Ubuntu's gone downhill badly recently. You're better off with Fedora. Get 64-bit Fedora KDE Spin. MAME is proudly developed on Fedora Linux. Oh, and make sure you have an NVIDIA card, and set up RPMfusion repo to get the binary drivers.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: gonna fiddle with a linux distro new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#292926 - 07/31/12 05:17 PM

I was just fiddling around with Ubuntu this past weekend.Didnt install it to a HDD though,I ran it from a usb stick.Its ok,its fast,even the 32 bit version.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: gonna fiddle with a linux distro new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#293265 - 08/04/12 09:46 AM

I only have spare ATI cards laying around. I'm gonna use a 4770. How is XBMC on Fedora?

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: gonna fiddle with a linux distro new [Re: URherenow]
#293270 - 08/04/12 03:02 PM

> I only have spare ATI cards laying around. I'm gonna use a 4770.
ATI cards have mixed support on Linux - probably won't get great performance with MAME. I think the open source drivers for ATI cards are recommended these days.

> How is XBMC on Fedora?
Same as on any other distro. If you set up RPMfusion package repo you can install it with "yum install xbmc" so no fuss there.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Can you elaborate? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#293290 - 08/04/12 09:38 PM

Reason I ask is that I'm DL'ing Ubuntu 64-bit now to test out. Per R.Belmonts Recommendation, Fedora 17 KDE spin was much better on my second go with it, but OpenSUSE is still edging it out in terms of fit n' finish. Speaking as a Linux newb of course. Gnome 3 just sucks, IMO. There are things I like about it, but some of the things they did in the name of simplicity, just makes me say "WTF?"

drewcifer
One bad Mutha-(shut yo' mouth!)
Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Sweden
Send PM

Re: Can you elaborate? new [Re: DiodeDude]
#293294 - 08/04/12 10:41 PM

I'm typing on a 64-bit Fedora 17 KDE spin right now and it does everything I need.

This time around, I'm even still on the nouveau drivers since they do everything I need on my home PC with reasonable speed (I got burned once with the official closed-source nvidia drivers when my fedora kernel was significantly updated, but the nvidia drivers weren't yet. Some critical settings files got out of sync, and it was annoying enough to just re-install the OS).

Andrew

> Reason I ask is that I'm DL'ing Ubuntu 64-bit now to test out. Per R.Belmonts
> Recommendation, Fedora 17 KDE spin was much better on my second go with it, but
> OpenSUSE is still edging it out in terms of fit n' finish. Speaking as a Linux newb
> of course. Gnome 3 just sucks, IMO. There are things I like about it, but some of the
> things they did in the name of simplicity, just makes me say "WTF?"

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Can you elaborate? new [Re: DiodeDude]
#293309 - 08/05/12 05:09 AM

The single most noticeable bad thing about Ubuntu is Unity desktop. There’s also flaky GCC versions, weird libc issues, poorly configured PulseAudio by default, occasional updated that make your machine unusable… It’s just not as nice to use as Fedora. And Gnome 3 makes default Fedora desktop suck, hence my recommendation for KDE spin.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Re: Can you elaborate? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#293340 - 08/05/12 08:16 PM

Yeah, I wasn't claiming that Fedora itself sucked, just the Gnome 3 Desktop. For some reason, KDE came off really buggy the first time I tried it in Fedora,, but not the second time. Admittedly, I was less familiar with KDE on the first go. OpenSUSE's KDE implementation is hands down the best I've tried so far though. Very polished. Unity is just a little better than Gnome 3, IMO. I can use them, but damn..... Why Shuttleworth didn't just alter KDE is his liking is beyond me.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1435