MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

If you're looking for a good read that's intergalactic AND planitary...
#292253 - 07/20/12 04:43 AM

Shada, a Doctor Who episode originally written as a script by Douglas Adams (hitch hikers guide to the galaxy fame), but which never finished filming due to an actors strike... just released as a novel.

I finished it yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_yPKUWyXfg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edited by Gatinho (07/20/12 04:51 AM)

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: If you're looking for a good read that's intergalactic AND planitary... new [Re: GatKong]
#292254 - 07/20/12 05:27 AM

> Shada, a Doctor Who episode originally written as a script by Douglas Adams (hitch
> hikers guide to the galaxy fame), but which never finished filming due to an actors
> strike... just released as a novel.
>
> I finished it yesterday.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_yPKUWyXfg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

dude, sweet. Will watch/listen shortly.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re:TARDIS new [Re: GatKong]
#292255 - 07/20/12 05:46 AM

I've never gotten into Dr. Who but that theme/intro song is absolutely fucking fantastic.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re:TARDIS new [Re: Smitdogg]
#292262 - 07/20/12 08:29 AM

> I've never gotten into Dr. Who but that theme/intro song is absolutely fucking
> fantastic.

Here, listen to all of them, from 1963-2012, nearly 50 years.

The first version is famous for being one of the very first electronic music television theme songs.

- Stiletto

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: If you're looking for a good read that's intergalactic AND planitary... new [Re: GatKong]
#292263 - 07/20/12 11:22 AM

> Shada, a Doctor Who episode originally written as a script by Douglas Adams (hitch
> hikers guide to the galaxy fame), but which never finished filming due to an actors
> strike... just released as a novel.
>
> I finished it yesterday.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_yPKUWyXfg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I don't think I could ever do something like that. The people reading the script seemed so averse to a second take they might as well have been professionals (/jab). "Invitable extension," indeed. But then, the channel isn't "DrWhoActors," is it? No, the channel is based on the excellent animation abilities they clearly possess.

Not that the writing was much better. Maybe it works as a novel, but I try to stay away from reading things based on television or movie characters.

Damn, why can't I have something positive to say about it? I mean, I watched the whole thing, so it can't have been that bad.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: If you're looking for a good read that's intergalactic AND planitary... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#292284 - 07/20/12 04:51 PM

> Maybe it works as a novel,

It works great as a novel!

I read it first, then watched the YouTube... And the novel is exponentially better... I've never been able to get into the dr who tv show because the terrible acting and horrible execution makes it intolerable.... But the books are grade a jumbo eggs. It was the name Douglas Adams that made me buy the book... I loved hhgttg. Shada reads very much like it...

Quote:

Chris peddled furiously through the streets of Cambridge back toward St Cedd's... His head was so full of theories about the book that he nearly collidided with another cyclist. He rang his bell angerly at the bloke who was pedalling furiously in the other direction. In fact, thought Chris, it was very hard to ring a bicycle bell angerly. However hard you tinged it, it sounded bright and cheery.

So don't panic!

Edited by Gatinho (07/20/12 05:15 PM)

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

But the best Dr Who music... Of course... Was... new [Re: Stiletto]
#292285 - 07/20/12 04:57 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adk1ujjmguo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: But the best Dr Who music... Of course... Was... new [Re: GatKong]
#292289 - 07/20/12 05:17 PM

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adk1ujjmguo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ew. That's mildly unsettling.

I kinda like this one.

- Stiletto

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Send PM

#292323 - 07/21/12 03:06 AM

> > Maybe it works as a novel,
>
> It works great as a novel!
>
> I read it first, then watched the YouTube... And the novel is exponentially better...
> I've never been able to get into the dr who tv show because the terrible acting and
> horrible execution makes it intolerable.... But the books are grade a jumbo eggs. It
> was the name Douglas Adams that made me buy the book... I loved hhgttg. Shada reads
> very much like it...
>
> Chris peddled furiously through the streets of Cambridge back toward St Cedd's... His
> head was so full of theories about the book that he nearly collidided with another
> cyclist. He rang his bell angerly at the bloke who was pedalling furiously in the
> other direction. In fact, thought Chris, it was very hard to ring a bicycle bell
> angerly. However hard you tinged it, it sounded bright and cheery.
>
> So don't panic!

Have you read "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency"? I think I recall Adams mentioning at some point that this Dr. Who arc was the original inspiration for the story. It really did work out quite well for a novel!

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: If you're looking for a good read that's intergalactic AND planitary... new [Re: jeremymtc]
#292325 - 07/21/12 03:33 AM

> Have you read "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency"? I think I recall Adams
> mentioning at some point that this Dr. Who arc was the original inspiration for the
> story. It really did work out quite well for a novel!

I did read that, but can't say I recall anything of it.

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Send PM

Re: If you're looking for a good read that's intergalactic AND planitary... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#292326 - 07/21/12 03:40 AM

> > Have you read "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency"? I think I recall Adams
> > mentioning at some point that this Dr. Who arc was the original inspiration for the
> > story. It really did work out quite well for a novel!
>
> I did read that, but can't say I recall anything of it.

Elderly professor with unknown long-term tenure at the fictional St. Cedd's college in Cambridge, with a time machine in his rooms. Those are the chief similarities based on the small amount I watched of the Dr. Who arc Gat had linked.

Lots of stuff about '80s Macintosh software, ancient ghosts, electric monks, and Dodos in the rest of the book.

Edited by jeremymtc (07/21/12 03:43 AM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 246 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1416