MAME Fan
Reged: 02/08/09
Send PM

nothrottle and ddraw
#291770 - 07/14/12 04:56 PM

i use normal mame from mamedev
i don't use mame.ini, i pass options via the command line
i use "mame gamename -nothrottle -syncrefresh"
this way i get smooth scrolling, no tearing etc, game is ruuning close to the real speed depending of the refreshrate of the original game
but if i use -vidoe ddraw option then the game(s) are running as fast as it can
i'm not complaining or anything i'm just curious why with the default d3d i get normal playing speeds but with ddraw mame it runs as fast as it can
p.s. thx mameteam for syncrefresh and nothrottle. they should be avaible in every emulator.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: nothrottle and ddraw new [Re: asasega]
#291789 - 07/14/12 11:23 PM

> i use normal mame from mamedev
> i don't use mame.ini, i pass options via the command line
> i use "mame gamename -nothrottle -syncrefresh"
> this way i get smooth scrolling, no tearing etc, game is ruuning close to the real
> speed depending of the refreshrate of the original game
> but if i use -vidoe ddraw option then the game(s) are running as fast as it can
> i'm not complaining or anything i'm just curious why with the default d3d i get
> normal playing speeds but with ddraw mame it runs as fast as it can
> p.s. thx mameteam for syncrefresh and nothrottle. they should be avaible in every
> emulator.

Using nothrottle and syncrefresh at the same time causes the frame rate to match your refresh rate, provided your CPU can run the game at that speed of course.
I think the reason for the difference between the two is that with D3D you are capped at 60Hz but with ddraw you're not. dxdiag used to have a troubleshooting tab where you could override the D3D refresh rate, but that's gone since Windows Vista. It's also possible that your video card driver is doing this.

/EDIT

What OS are you running and what video card do you have? I cannot replicate what you are describing, -nothrottle and -syncrefresh at the same time causes everything to run insanely fast with both the ddraw and D3D renderer. I'm on 64-bit Windows 7 with a Geforce GTX 460.

S

asasega
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/08/09
Send PM

Re: nothrottle and ddraw new [Re: Sune]
#291830 - 07/15/12 07:45 AM

windows xp sp3, intel celeron cpu, intel GM965 gpu, it's an old laptop from 2007

i tested the same settings on a newer laptop(win 7 x64) from 2010 with an amd cpu, ati gpu and i get the same results, and that's good:)

Edited by asasega (07/15/12 04:10 PM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 255 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2119