Pages: 1

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Reged: 06/13/12
Send PM

DivXUpdate in MSConfig > Startup
#291748 - 07/14/12 11:57 AM

Top of the morning,

I've installed the DivX codec pack so I can run more kinds of video formats. In the DivX codec settings, I chose for it to NEVER check for updates. But when I go to START MENU > RUN > MSCONFIG > STARTUP... I see that the "DivXUpdate" has a check mark next to it. But whenever I press CTRL + ALT + Delete > PROCESS... I've never seen it running. Maybe it does run in the background every once in awhile and I just haven't noticed it yet. So I have a few questions:

Why does it have a check mark next to it if I chose for it to never check for updates?

Does this run in the background and consume system resources?

If it does run in the background, why does it do that if I chose for it to NEVER check for updates?

I'm assuming it's fine for me to un-check this in MSCONFIG > STARTUP

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: DivXUpdate in MSConfig > Startup new [Re: Vatican Knight]
#291751 - 07/14/12 12:58 PM

Do some fucking research on your own. We are not your technical support centre. Maybe it runs at startup, notices that you don't have updates enabled, and then just exits. Maybe it's spyware that doesn't check for updates but sends your personal data to terrorists. Maybe you're making the whole thing up in a desperate ploy for attention.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

That's what I think of, too new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#291755 - 07/14/12 01:16 PM

> Do some fucking research on your own. We are not your technical support centre. Maybe
> it runs at startup, notices that you don't have updates enabled, and then just exits.
> Maybe it's spyware that doesn't check for updates but sends your personal data to
> terrorists. Maybe you're making the whole thing up in a desperate ploy for attention.

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Send PM

Re: DivXUpdate in MSConfig > Startup new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#291759 - 07/14/12 01:44 PM

You are so friggin miserable, lol, I love it. Life is not that bad, lighten up. Smile alil bit.

(oh and it's def. not spyware)

I know there are some decently computer savvy people here that this has occurred to them after installing it. But I expected that I'd have to sift through a bunch of typical flames before spotting an actual real response or answer. No biggie.

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

I like xvid.org better. My DVD player loves it! ;-) {nt} new [Re: CTOJAH]
#291798 - 07/15/12 02:06 AM

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#291800 - 07/15/12 02:09 AM

> You are so friggin miserable, lol, I love it. Life is not that bad, lighten up. Smile
> alil bit.

The fact that Vas doesn't like you is completely unrelated to the quality of his life. Also he's right and if you keep going on the same way you were before you'll probably end up getting banned again.

Also, to hell with codec packs, what do you need divx for? Just install and use VLC, it's light and it plays practically everything.

S

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Send PM

Re: DivXUpdate in MSConfig > Startup new [Re: Sune]
#291804 - 07/15/12 02:31 AM

Quote:

Just install and use VLC, it's light and it plays practically everything.

It even transcodes and streams too! :-)

And, lookie here! The VideoLan Movie Creator.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: DivXUpdate in MSConfig > Startup new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#291808 - 07/15/12 02:41 AM

> And, lookie here! The VideoLan Movie Creator.

Oh that's cool, thanks for sharing.

Screenshots: http://trac.videolan.org/vlmc/wiki/Screenshots

S

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#291810 - 07/15/12 02:45 AM

> Also, to hell with codec packs, what do you need divx for? Just install and use VLC,
> it's light and it plays practically everything.

I use VLC sometimes, but it's a shit video player. Can't resample and keep playing sound when you change video speed, and can't even pause cleanly. Seriously, if you pause, it always plays at least a few more frames of video after pausing the sound, and then when you resume, plays the audio until it catches up with where the video got to when pausing before resuming video.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#291813 - 07/15/12 02:54 AM

> > Also, to hell with codec packs, what do you need divx for? Just install and use
> VLC,
> > it's light and it plays practically everything.
>
> I use VLC sometimes, but it's a shit video player. Can't resample and keep playing
> sound when you change video speed, and can't even pause cleanly. Seriously, if you
> pause, it always plays at least a few more frames of video after pausing the sound,
> and then when you resume, plays the audio until it catches up with where the video
> got to when pausing before resuming video.

I haven't even noticed those things and I've been using it for uh a decade I guess. Different strokes..
The only remotely advanced feature I use is the audio/video delay. Sometimes you...get a file where audio and video isn't in perfect sync, or is slowly drifting apart. This annoys the hell out of me so it's nice that you can adjust it on the fly.

What you're describing sounds like very generous buffer settings but I don't know if there's a way to set the buffer sizes? I know you can do that in Winamp but with some files (that loop correctly in an audio editor) it just can't loop them cleanly even if you set the lowest possible buffer. It's weird.

I could have sworn that I saw an audio playback rate somewhere but maybe that's not what you mean by resampling. I know you can set the output format to 32 bit float somewhere, maybe it's in that place.

S

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#291818 - 07/15/12 04:54 AM

> I could have sworn that I saw an audio playback rate somewhere but maybe that's not
> what you mean by resampling. I know you can set the output format to 32 bit float
> somewhere, maybe it's in that place.

In Quicktime Player (the old one, not the shitty new Quicktime Player X thing), you could adjust playback rate from 1/2x speed up to 3x speed, and it would resample the audio so the pitch sounded right. Good for watching presentations sped up to about 1.7x and still being able to understand the audio. VLC just mutes the audio if you change the playback speed.

Quicktime X is another example of Apple replacing a great application with a shitty one where half the functionality is missing (like new iMovie and Final Cut Pro X).

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Send PM

#291821 - 07/15/12 06:02 AM

Quote:

What you're describing sounds like very generous buffer settings but I don't know if there's a way to set the buffer sizes? I know you can do that in Winamp but with some files (that loop correctly in an audio editor) it just can't loop them cleanly even if you set the lowest possible buffer. It's weird.

"Do some fucking research on your own. We are not your technical support centre."

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#291822 - 07/15/12 06:07 AM

> What you're describing sounds like very generous buffer settings but I don't know if
> there's a way to set the buffer sizes? I know you can do that in Winamp but with some
> files (that loop correctly in an audio editor) it just can't loop them cleanly even
> if you set the lowest possible buffer. It's weird.

> "Do some fucking research on your own. We are not your technical support centre."

That's straight up trolling. You might want to read that again, I wasn't asking for "technical support".

S

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#291823 - 07/15/12 06:19 AM

> In Quicktime Player (the old one, not the shitty new Quicktime Player X thing), you
> could adjust playback rate from 1/2x speed up to 3x speed, and it would resample the
> audio so the pitch sounded right. Good for watching presentations sped up to about
> 1.7x and still being able to understand the audio. VLC just mutes the audio if you
> change the playback speed.

Strange because that's not happening here, audio retains pitch but is stretched or truncated depending on playback speed. There is only a short audio dropout when dragging the slider (VLC on 10.7.4). Portishead's Roseland NYC concert becomes oddly danceable at 6-7x.

> Quicktime X is another example of Apple replacing a great application with a shitty
> one where half the functionality is missing (like new iMovie and Final Cut Pro X).

Everything is getting dumbed down. If it continues this way, in the end powerful hardware and content creation tools will no longer be available to the general public, and we'll each be sitting at a dumb terminal, streaming everything from the rights holders. All file storage takes place in the cloud, using your "computer" will be like interactive pay-per-view television.

S

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Send PM

#291824 - 07/15/12 06:21 AM

> > What you're describing sounds like very generous buffer settings but I don't know
> if
> > there's a way to set the buffer sizes? I know you can do that in Winamp but with
> some
> > files (that loop correctly in an audio editor) it just can't loop them cleanly even
> > if you set the lowest possible buffer. It's weird.
>
> > "Do some fucking research on your own. We are not your technical support centre."
>
> You might want to read that again, I'm not asking for technical support.
>
> S

There both computer related questions. Just goes to show how ignorant you are... he starts shit and you reply that if I keep it up i'll be banned. haha. It's okay for other people to say shit, but when I respond it's not okay. You would think he would learn his lesson after getting punked everytime he starts shit.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#291825 - 07/15/12 06:28 AM

> > > What you're describing sounds like very generous buffer settings but I don't know
> > if
> > > there's a way to set the buffer sizes? I know you can do that in Winamp but with
> > some
> > > files (that loop correctly in an audio editor) it just can't loop them cleanly
> even
> > > if you set the lowest possible buffer. It's weird.
> >
> > > "Do some fucking research on your own. We are not your technical support centre."
>
> >
> > You might want to read that again, I'm not asking for technical support.
> >
> > S
>
> There both computer related questions. Just goes to show how ignorant you are... he
> starts shit and you reply that if I keep it up i'll be banned. haha. It's okay for
> other people to say shit, but when I respond it's not okay. You would think he would
> learn his lesson after getting punked everytime he starts shit.

No dude, it's not the same thing. I'm sorry that you think that it is, because that means you'll probably never understand why you're being given a hard time here.

S

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#291828 - 07/15/12 07:08 AM

> Strange because that's not happening here, audio retains pitch but is stretched or
> truncated depending on playback speed. There is only a short audio dropout when
> dragging the slider (VLC on 10.7.4). Portishead's Roseland NYC concert becomes oddly
> danceable at 6-7x.

Oh cool, it's been fixed in 2.x (I hadn't tried since 1.x). Audio compressor and filter stack seems to work a hell of a lot better in 2.x as well. So it's a less shitty media player now than it was before

Bekki Doll
Send PM

#291839 - 07/15/12 01:59 PM

Quote:

Quicktime X is another example of Apple replacing a great application with a shitty one...

I'm really not pleased with iTunes. It has a pretty interface but it seems like most of the resources resources went into that interface. That and its codecs aren't very good, especially its implementation of MP3.

I only used it many years ago just to redeem soda codes for free music and played around with its other functions. Thankfully I'm a long-time MediaMonkey Gold user and didn't need to search for an alternative. I use it to tag my FLAC/MP3 files with additional scanned-in album artwork and bulk-transcoding from my FLAC-encoded audio archives to Lame MP3.

Speaking of alternatives, QuickTime Alternative is good if you want to play back, decode and transcode QuickTime-encoded stuff without the unnecessary crap (I'll read more about how FFMPEG handles QuickTime).

--Bekki

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: DivXUpdate in MSConfig > Startup new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#291841 - 07/15/12 02:25 PM

> Speaking of alternatives, QuickTime Alternative is good if you want to play back,
> decode and transcode QuickTime-encoded stuff without the unnecessary crap (I'll read
> more about how FFMPEG handles QuickTime).

Quicktime Alternative is just a customised cut-down Quicktime installation – it isn’t an alternative at all. Quicktime Pro wasn’t unnecessary crap. It was actually very good for miscellaneous truncating, splicing, titling, masking, compositing, extracting, transcoding, etc. Quicktime X has none of that useful functionality.

Bekki Doll
Send PM

#291842 - 07/15/12 02:38 PM

Quote:

Quicktime Pro wasn’t unnecessary crap.

I forgot all about that one. I'm so used to using other tools and just seeing QuickTime as yet another codec that I've failed to follow up on product lines many years later. It's my fault and I stand corrected.

--Bekki

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#291851 - 07/15/12 05:47 PM

> > > What you're describing sounds like very generous buffer settings but I don't know
> > if
> > > there's a way to set the buffer sizes? I know you can do that in Winamp but with
> > some
> > > files (that loop correctly in an audio editor) it just can't loop them cleanly
> even
> > > if you set the lowest possible buffer. It's weird.
> >
> > > "Do some fucking research on your own. We are not your technical support centre."
>
> >
> > You might want to read that again, I'm not asking for technical support.
> >
> > S
>
> There both computer related questions. Just goes to show how ignorant you are... he
> starts shit and you reply that if I keep it up i'll be banned. haha. It's okay for
> other people to say shit, but when I respond it's not okay. You would think he would
> learn his lesson after getting punked everytime he starts shit.

Replying like a troll to a guy who's trying to have a conversation with you... is not a good way to ensure you'll have people on your side.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#291853 - 07/15/12 05:48 PM

> > Also, to hell with codec packs, what do you need divx for? Just install and use
> VLC,
> > it's light and it plays practically everything.
>
> I use VLC sometimes, but it's a shit video player. Can't resample and keep playing
> sound when you change video speed, and can't even pause cleanly. Seriously, if you
> pause, it always plays at least a few more frames of video after pausing the sound,
> and then when you resume, plays the audio until it catches up with where the video
> got to when pausing before resuming video.

Plus VLC doesn't handle some codecs right. All videos encoded with Fraps seem to have some brightness problems.

It's an okay player, but I still prefer FFDShow + Media Player Classic HomeCinema.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#291869 - 07/15/12 09:05 PM

> Do some fucking research on your own. We are not your technical support centre. Maybe
> it runs at startup, notices that you don't have updates enabled, and then just exits.
> Maybe it's spyware that doesn't check for updates but sends your personal data to
> terrorists. Maybe you're making the whole thing up in a desperate ploy for attention.

Vas Crabb 1, Vatican Knight 0

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 322 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2260