MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Thoughts on the Atari 5200
#291341 - 07/10/12 12:33 AM

I don't like the changes made on GameTrailers. The organization of videos went all kerflooie. Anyway...

Video: Angry Video Game Nerd: Atari 5200

...I was tempted to have my parents get this console. I can say that I'm glad not to have followed through on it. Wasn't this console basically a stripped down Atari 400 or 800 computer but with different-sized cartridges and even worse controllers and design in general?

I'll have to boot up MESSUI sometime and finally see what I was missing.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

dfrance
Crazed Collector
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: The Black
Send PM

Re: Thoughts on the Atari 5200 new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#291343 - 07/10/12 12:39 AM

What's funny is in the AVGN clip he ordered a 5200 controller off eBay only to find it has a 2600 plug - I see that same joystick is still listed on eBay as a 5200 joystick.

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Send PM

Re: Thoughts on the Atari 5200 new [Re: dfrance]
#291344 - 07/10/12 12:52 AM

Quote:

What's funny is in the AVGN clip he ordered a 5200 controller off eBay only to find it has a 2600 plug - I see that same joystick is still listed on eBay as a 5200 joystick.

At least he got a decent stick for his 2600, C64, and Genesis. I don't know if there was a 5200 redesign that changed the controller ports. But how can someone NOT actually check to see it would fit?

And what was the deal with the touch-tone keypads on controllers at the time? Intellivision, Colecovision, 5200, and even much later the Jaguar!

And what about that storage space in the back? I can sort of understand that with the Astrocade. I guess so it would match up well with the 8-track storage. But it seemed rather outdated with the 5200.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Darth Mario
Hail Hydra
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

#291474 - 07/11/12 03:58 AM

I had a 5200 as a kid and threw it away (! Idiot) when I got an NES.

This spring I bought a 5200 with trackball controller, plug-in 2600 game converter, 6 pairs of 2600 paddle controllers and joysticks and a dozen or so miscellaneous games for $10 at a garage sale (and the storage tub it all came in!)

> And what was the deal with the touch-tone keypads on controllers at the time?
> Intellivision, Colecovision, 5200, and even much later the Jaguar!

yeah the keypads are total crap

> And what about that storage space in the back? I can sort of understand that with the
> Astrocade. I guess so it would match up well with the 8-track storage. But it seemed
> rather outdated with the 5200.

two 5200 controllers fit nicely into that storage space.

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: Thoughts on the Atari 5200 new [Re: Darth Mario]
#291478 - 07/11/12 04:19 AM

Quote:

I had a 5200 as a kid and threw it away (! Idiot) when I got an NES.

My 2600 is still in storage, stored with the old Yathzee (sp?) and Monopoly board game stuff. It still works but I tend to hook it up to a spare portable analog B&W television.

Quote:

This spring I bought a 5200 with trackball controller, plug-in 2600 game converter, 6 pairs of 2600 paddle controllers and joysticks and a dozen or so miscellaneous games for $10 at a garage sale (and the storage tub it all came in!)

If it all works then you should be in good shape. I'd be amazed if it came with working original 5200 controllers. :-)

Quote:

yeah the keypads are total crap

The Astrocade at least got it right: Place the keypad on the console for game selection! That and I really loved the pistol-grip controllers for that console.

Quote:

> And what about that storage space in the back?
two 5200 controllers fit nicely into that storage space.

Provided they work, of course. Or, as The Nerd demonstrated, you can stash a Rolling Rock bottle in there. :-)

I wonder if anyone ever gutted a 5200 and decided to move the parts into a smaller form factor? Kind of like placing the guts of an NES into a toaster.

--Bekki

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#291479 - 07/11/12 04:21 AM

> What's funny is in the AVGN clip he ordered a 5200 controller off eBay only to find
> it has a 2600 plug - I see that same joystick is still listed on eBay as a 5200
> joystick.
>
> At least he got a decent stick for his 2600, C64, and Genesis. I don't know if there
> was a 5200 redesign that changed the controller ports. But how can someone NOT
> actually check to see it would fit?
>
> And what was the deal with the touch-tone keypads on controllers at the time?
> Intellivision, Colecovision, 5200, and even much later the Jaguar!
>
> And what about that storage space in the back? I can sort of understand that with the
> Astrocade. I guess so it would match up well with the 8-track storage. But it seemed
> rather outdated with the 5200.
>
> --Bekki

Wow... that video sucked. So a ten minute video about how he didn't do any research on how to get a 25+ yr old system working, and since he couldn't get it working, it was a piece of shit. Nice.

I owned one. I loved it. Here's some facts to clear it up for the folks here:
  • The storage on the back was to keep your two controllers.
  • The original controllers suffered from a bad case of oxidation. I learned how to take care of mine: take it apart, and clean the cell membrane contacts with a pencil eraser. Good as new.
  • That Wico controller he bought is a 5200 controller. The original came with a Y-adapter, as the Wico didn't replace the keypad or S/P/R buttons. The Y-adapter plugged into the system; the two controllers plugged into the Y-adapter. Wico also made a keypad that replaced the other half, in which case you plugged that into the system, and the joystick into that keypad.
  • The keypad was used to control the different options for the game. Each game came with an overlay (e.g. see here: http://www.atariage.com/overlay_page.html?SystemID=5200&SoftwareID=2106&ItemTypeID=OVERLAY). Most cartridges had storage on the back of the cartridge to keep the overlay.
  • It did suck that there were no labels on the top of the cartridge. I solved that with a pack of blue Avery labels and a typewriter (remember... this was 1982).

CSB time... to buy my first PC, I sold my first Ataris (2600, 5200, games, and a Pong). In hindsight... a really STUPID idea. Anyway, it's how I got my first computer, and I was happy for the time being. Sold the whole package to a guy in Santa Monica who mainly just wanted the Pong so that he and his friends could watch it after they partied really hard... supposedly, it's a real trip.

About 5-6 years later, I go visit this video game store in North Hollywood that I go to every few months. They sell used games going all the way back to the 2600. In the one Atari case, I see all of my old game cartridges, still with the blue Avery labels (cue "It's a Small World" music).

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Thoughts on the Atari 5200 new [Re: Mr. Do]
#291481 - 07/11/12 04:37 AM

> Wow... that video sucked. So a ten minute video about how he didn't do any research
> on how to get a 25+ yr old system working, and since he couldn't get it working, it
> was a piece of shit. Nice.

Yeah, you don't really watch AVGN videos for accurate or informative reviews. His schtick is funny, but it's almost shocking how little he knows about electronics for someone with a massive collection of vintage gaming hardware. I had to stop watching a video of him (not in character as The Nerd) and his sidekick trying to get a C64 running. They were so clueless it was causing me physical pain.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#291497 - 07/11/12 06:27 AM

> My 2600 is still in storage, stored with the old Yathzee (sp?) and Monopoly board
> game stuff. It still works but I tend to hook it up to a spare portable analog B&W
> television.

You can hook it up to a modern TV using a $5 adapter instead of the Atari switchbox as long as the TV has a coax "cable-ready" input...

http://www.atariage.com/howto/connect.html

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Thoughts on the Atari 5200 new [Re: DMala]
#291521 - 07/11/12 07:18 PM

> > Wow... that video sucked. So a ten minute video about how he didn't do any
> research
> > on how to get a 25+ yr old system working, and since he couldn't get it working, it
> > was a piece of shit. Nice.
>
> Yeah, you don't really watch AVGN videos for accurate or informative reviews. His
> schtick is funny, but it's almost shocking how little he knows about electronics for
> someone with a massive collection of vintage gaming hardware. I had to stop watching
> a video of him (not in character as The Nerd) and his sidekick trying to get a C64
> running. They were so clueless it was causing me physical pain.

He comes to a few videogame conventions in the Philadelphia area, dopeslaps are an option on the table here.

- Stiletto

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: Thoughts on the Atari 5200 new [Re: Stiletto]
#291527 - 07/11/12 07:50 PM

The 5200 was ok,it certainly wasnt anything special.What was there about 60 games in total? And those controllers,I honestly think Atari didnt believe in testers.This system was meant to play arcade ports,so lets give it a analog stick that is not self centering.Great idea,Atari

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: Thoughts on the Atari 5200 new [Re: DMala]
#291529 - 07/11/12 08:01 PM

Quote:

Yeah, you don't really watch AVGN videos for accurate or informative reviews. His schtick is funny, but it's almost shocking how little he knows about electronics for someone with a massive collection of vintage gaming hardware.

You're right. It's more about the comedy and slapstick. Now with some video game reviewers adopting his style it just got old. That and I've never seen him attempt to repair any equipment.

Heck, even I made a repair on my 2600's power input jack. And I was a pre-teen at the time! I always had that skill of taking things apart and putting things back together in working condition. :-)

Even I had to roll my eyes when he got out the extension cord in that vid and forgot to also get an extension cord for the 5200's power supply. How can one forget that? I guess he needed to get a Doc Brown reference in there.

--Bekki

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 225 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1397