MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Mouse movement while playing 1st person games (on a laptop)
#291097 - 07/07/12 03:29 AM

Maybe someone here can help me understand why something is happening.

I'm currently playing 'Amnesia, The Dark Descent' on my laptop computer. I've been playing with what I now realize was a bit of a handicap. While moving around (using the W, A, S, D keys) I was never able to use the mouse (finger pad). So when I'd move around I'd have to stop at some point, redirect myself, then continue moving.

This made it quite intense in one area where I had to keep running from something, and having to turn around corners.

After watching some vids on YouTube I see how the guy playing it is able to change direction while he is moving (and I'm sure it's on a desktop computer using an actual mouse).

At some point I found I was able to do it, but I just can't do it all the time. So this is why I'm curious. How can I make sure I'm able to use mouse movements while walking? &/or, why would this be happening?

It's a Dell Inspiron N5110, with an i3 processor.

LEVEL-4

Waremonger
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: Mouse movement while playing 1st person games (on a laptop) new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#291115 - 07/07/12 05:49 AM

> Maybe someone here can help me understand why something is happening.
>
> I'm currently playing 'Amnesia, The Dark Descent' on my laptop computer. I've been
> playing with what I now realize was a bit of a handicap. While moving around (using
> the W, A, S, D keys) I was never able to use the mouse (finger pad). So when I'd move
> around I'd have to stop at some point, redirect myself, then continue moving.
>
> This made it quite intense in one area where I had to keep running from something,
> and having to turn around corners.
>
>
> After watching some vids on YouTube I see how the guy playing it is able to change
> direction while he is moving (and I'm sure it's on a desktop computer using an actual
> mouse).
>
> At some point I found I was able to do it, but I just can't do it all the time. So
> this is why I'm curious. How can I make sure I'm able to use mouse movements while
> walking? &/or, why would this be happening?
>
>
> It's a Dell Inspiron N5110, with an i3 processor.

I don't actually own Amnesia (thought it looks like a cool game), but have you tried using the cursor keys in lieu of the touch pad? Of course you could always go to Walmart and pick up a $5 USB mouse :-)

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Mouse movement while playing 1st person games (on a laptop) new [Re: Waremonger]
#291126 - 07/07/12 07:09 AM

> I don't actually own Amnesia (thought it looks like a cool game), but have you tried
> using the cursor keys in lieu of the touch pad? Of course you could always go to
> Walmart and pick up a $5 USB mouse :-)

I got it with that Humble Indie Bunble (thanks again Triggerfin ).

Well, right now (here at work) I'm using my MicroSoft corded mouse from my desktop computer at home. I was hoping to avoid that because of switching them back and forth (and waiting for it to be recognized by the system).

As you suggested - that might be the way to go, but I'll still have to see if it will function properly in the game.

eta: Works VERY well.

Edited by Tom Braider (07/07/12 09:55 AM)

LEVEL-4

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Mouse movement while playing 1st person games (on a laptop) new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#291131 - 07/07/12 08:35 AM

> I'm currently playing 'Amnesia, The Dark Descent' on my laptop computer. I've been
> playing with what I now realize was a bit of a handicap. While moving around (using
> the W, A, S, D keys) I was never able to use the mouse (finger pad). So when I'd move
> around I'd have to stop at some point, redirect myself, then continue moving.

The computer is being helpful and ignoring trackpad input while you use the keyboard. There may be a setting to control this. I've seen it called things like "Ignore trackpad input while typing" or "Ignore accidental trackpad input" - see if you can find such a setting and turn it off.

> It's a Dell Inspiron N5110, with an i3 processor.

Shitty notebook with a shitty trackpad. MacBook Pro has a good enough trackpad to kick arse in Q3 Arena, TF2 and Portal, but I couldn't do it with a Dell. May as well use a mouse anyway.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#291135 - 07/07/12 11:13 AM

> > I don't actually own Amnesia (thought it looks like a cool game), but have you
> tried
> > using the cursor keys in lieu of the touch pad? Of course you could always go to
> > Walmart and pick up a $5 USB mouse :-)
>
> I got it with that Humble Indie Bunble (thanks again Triggerfin ).
>
> Well, right now (here at work) I'm using my MicroSoft corded mouse from my desktop
> computer at home. I was hoping to avoid that because of switching them back and forth
> (and waiting for it to be recognized by the system).
>
>
> As you suggested - that might be the way to go, but I'll still have to see if it will
> function properly in the game.
>
>
> eta: Works VERY well.

I've supplemented my portable computer that is far to large and hot for use on a lap with a Logitech M705. Slightly small, but it doesn't miss my movements or forget I'm holding a button, and the batteries are still holding out (let me check the purchase date) 9 months later, with at least another month to go according to the software.

The built-in pad on the system is mostly used when I'm watching a movie or long video.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 473 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1187