MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Strader327
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/26/12
Send PM

Needing help with controller calibration problems running pole position ll and other racing games
#290267 - 06/26/12 07:42 AM

Hello everyone, as the title says I'm needing help with calibrating my controller to play various racing games on the mame. I'm trying to play pole position mainly but also games like outrun and konamigt.

The problem I mostly have is calibrating the steering. I have a standard usb game controller. It's a Recoil GGE909.

I'm wanting to use the cross button of the left to control the steering.

What is strange is when I go to the game's calibration page I think it shows that my steering is working but when I exit out of the calibration page and into the game every other button I'm needing to play the game, the acceleration, brakes and gear buttons all work, it's just the steering.

If you all need a better feel for what I'm experiencing I even made a video that I have on youtube showing everything. Here is the link to that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz2goOP2p0Y&feature=plcp

So if you all have any other questions before helping me please do so and I'll be glad to answer them.

Thank you all so much for your time, have a great day.

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Re: Needing help with controller calibration problems running pole position ll and other racing games new [Re: Strader327]
#290268 - 06/26/12 08:29 AM

First of all, you should really use an analog stick (assuming your gamepad has them) rather than a D-pad for games with steering wheels, flight sticks, or other analog controls.

Unfortunately, you're never going to have entirely satisfactory results using either a joystick or a D-pad to play Pole Position. As you've discovered, releasing the joystick doesn't center the steering wheel. To stop turning, you have to push the joystick in the opposite direction. The reason is that on a real machine the wheel doesn't have a "center" position--it spins freely. Pole Position is one of the few games in MAME that you really can't play properly without an input device that's a one-for-one match to the original hardware (i.e. you need a real free-spinning wheel).

Another would be non-shooting trackball games like Marble Madness and Segasonic--you can sort of use an analog joystick, but it's awkward and unnatural (for shooting games like Missile Command or Cabal, a mouse works pretty well)

Fortunately, nearly all other behind-the-wheel arcade racing games (Outrun, etc.) use steering wheels that are paddles--they have a center position and turn a fixed distance in either direction from the center. Paddles map perfectly to one axis of an analog joystick, and you can play Outrun beautifully with a PS3/Xbox-style controller.

Strader327
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Needing help with controller calibration problems running pole position ll and other racing games new [Re: AWJ]
#290309 - 06/27/12 03:45 AM

Thank you for the reply. Let's see does anyone else know what I could do to get this controller calibration thing to work?

Does anyone else here play Pole Position 1 or 2 on mame? And if so what kind of controllers or wheels do you use?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

Re: Needing help with controller calibration problems running pole position ll and other racing games new [Re: Strader327]
#290323 - 06/27/12 05:34 AM

Unfortunatley, Pole Position 1 and 2 have steering problems.I've personallty tackled this problem on a logitech controller and steering wheel( it centers in the middle when I turn briefly) and since there was never a center point for the anolog to stop, The game will always have the steering problem unless something comes up in the future for MAME for a better control scheme addition.

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

SailorSat
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: Germany
Send PM

Re: Needing help with controller calibration problems running pole position ll and other racing games new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#290344 - 06/27/12 06:06 PM

> Unfortunatley, Pole Position 1 and 2 have steering problems.I've personallty tackled
> this problem on a logitech controller and steering wheel( it centers in the middle
> when I turn briefly) and since there was never a center point for the anolog to stop,
> The game will always have the steering problem unless something comes up in the
> future for MAME for a better control scheme addition.

I've used a small VB tool to convert inputs of a usb wheel (270°) to mouse axis movement. I've successfully played BuggyBoy and PolePosition with it.

Kind of a hacky approach though.

I do all that stuff even without a Joystick
Soft-15kHz, cabMAME, For Amusement Only e.V.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Needing help with controller calibration problems running pole position ll and other racing games new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#290346 - 06/27/12 06:26 PM

> Unfortunatley, Pole Position 1 and 2 have steering problems.I've personallty tackled
> this problem on a logitech controller and steering wheel( it centers in the middle
> when I turn briefly) and since there was never a center point for the anolog to stop,
> The game will always have the steering problem unless something comes up in the
> future for MAME for a better control scheme addition.

As AWJ explained, real Pole Position wheels don't have a center point - they spin freely in either direction as much as you'd like. This is difficult to translate to more conventional controls, and basically impossible to make work with digital inputs like a d-pad.

Edited by R. Belmont (06/27/12 06:38 PM)

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: Needing help with controller calibration problems running pole position ll and other racing games new [Re: R. Belmont]
#290362 - 06/27/12 10:17 PM

> > Unfortunatley, Pole Position 1 and 2 have steering problems.I've personallty
> tackled
> > this problem on a logitech controller and steering wheel( it centers in the middle
> > when I turn briefly) and since there was never a center point for the anolog to
> stop,
> > The game will always have the steering problem unless something comes up in the
> > future for MAME for a better control scheme addition.
>
> As AWJ explained, real Pole Position wheels don't have a center point - they spin
> freely in either direction as much as you'd like. This is difficult to translate to
> more conventional controls, and basically impossible to make work with digital inputs
> like a d-pad.

Can't you set one button to analog inc and the other to analog dec? the steering wheel will NOT autocenter though, obviously, but it should be somewhat playable...

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

Re: Needing help with controller calibration problems running pole position ll and other racing games new [Re: R. Belmont]
#290397 - 06/28/12 03:18 AM

Understood But,there must be a way to center it somehow because Digital Eclipse somehow got it to work and thier games ran on the roms, didn't they?

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

#290405 - 06/28/12 04:07 AM

> Understood But,there must be a way to center it somehow because Digital Eclipse
> somehow got it to work and thier games ran on the roms, didn't they?

They may have just used memory hacking to force the turning to recenter itself somehow. or programmed some complicated 'soft' means of autocentering which relies on memory peeks.
I have no idea...

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Needing help with controller calibration problems running pole position ll and other racing games new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#290417 - 06/28/12 03:50 PM

> > Understood But,there must be a way to center it somehow because Digital Eclipse
> > somehow got it to work and thier games ran on the roms, didn't they?
>
> They may have just used memory hacking to force the turning to recenter itself
> somehow. or programmed some complicated 'soft' means of autocentering which relies on
> memory peeks.
> I have no idea...

We could probably find out from them if we really wanted to know.

- Stiletto

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

#290419 - 06/28/12 04:20 PM

Can't you use a spinner?

rodimusprimal
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/11/12
Send PM

#290420 - 06/28/12 04:22 PM

I use the mouse for steering on some racing games as I find it much easier to steer then analog sticks in some games. Pole Position is terrible when it comes to steering and benefits from the mouse IMO. I use Dualshock 2 controllers on my PC so I do use the analog sticks most of the time but a mouse helps.

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

Re: Needing help with controller calibration problems running pole position ll and other racing games new [Re: joey35car]
#290446 - 06/28/12 09:40 PM

Yes, or a trackball, suboptimal compared to original controls but workable.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Needing help with controller calibration problems running pole position ll and other racing games new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#290527 - 06/29/12 04:34 PM

The Digital Eclipse stuff is more blackboxing/HLE than MAME-style emulation in most cases. (I'm not knocking them for it, they got the games to run on a PS1 at 33 MHz, but compromises were made).

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

#290529 - 06/29/12 05:39 PM

This may be as good as it gets for now (?)

Small:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Ergonomic-Optic..._pr_product_top

Large:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Ergonomic-Optic..._pr_product_top

StevieWunderful
Reged: 11/19/04
Loc: NY
Send PM

#290530 - 06/29/12 05:59 PM

The games that use 360 degree wheels, are not worth playing without use of a spinner or 360 degree wheel.

You can purchase a spinner at Ultimarc or Groovy Game Gear.

Supersprint requires you to spin the wheel as fast as you can, and then stop it at the exact moment. This allows you to powerslide at very high speeds.

No joystick or 270 degree wheel can come close to this level of precision control. As such, the computer cars will always destroy you after the 3rd race, no matter how good you are. And, the game just wont be fun or challenging.

Pole Position is less demanding than Supersprint. However, its still the spinner aspect that gives that game very fine control... and an enhanced difficult level.

There are many other games which use a spinner for control, and would be well worth the addition / costs.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Re: Needing help with controller calibration problems running pole position ll and other racing games new [Re: StevieWunderful]
#290596 - 07/01/12 12:14 AM

> The games that use 360 degree wheels, are not worth playing without use of a spinner
> or 360 degree wheel.
>
> You can purchase a spinner at Ultimarc or Groovy Game Gear.
>
> Supersprint requires you to spin the wheel as fast as you can, and then stop it at
> the exact moment. This allows you to powerslide at very high speeds.
>
> No joystick or 270 degree wheel can come close to this level of precision control.
> As such, the computer cars will always destroy you after the 3rd race, no matter how
> good you are. And, the game just wont be fun or challenging.
>
> Pole Position is less demanding than Supersprint. However, its still the spinner
> aspect that gives that game very fine control... and an enhanced difficult level.
>
> There are many other games which use a spinner for control, and would be well worth
> the addition / costs.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

what if you use a 900 degree wheel?

Derrick Renaud
Discrete Coder
Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: The Local Pub
Send PM

#290641 - 07/01/12 05:30 AM

> Understood But,there must be a way to center it somehow because Digital Eclipse
> somehow got it to work and thier games ran on the roms, didn't they?

Anything is possible if you want to hack into the game's memory contents. That gives you direct control. Just search for the Asteroids spinner hack that is out there.

But MAME does not do that. We emulate the game's control port only. As was stated, proper 360 control input works fine.

To get the control to work like Digital Eclipse, the best way would be to allow the cheat system to read a fake control port, modify it and send it to the needed memory address. Then you could hack Space Invaders to user a spinner, or whatever you want.

Hack's like these are out of MAME's interest.

D.

Do not p-mail me for help compiling my updates, ask on the board.
Do not request sound for your favorite game. I work on whatever, when I get around to it.
If you have schematics for discrete sound games not easily found on the net, I would be interested.

Strader327
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Needing help with controller calibration problems running pole position ll and other racing games new [Re: StevieWunderful]
#291993 - 07/17/12 10:02 AM

> The games that use 360 degree wheels, are not worth playing without use of a spinner
> or 360 degree wheel.
>
> You can purchase a spinner at Ultimarc or Groovy Game Gear.
>
> Supersprint requires you to spin the wheel as fast as you can, and then stop it at
> the exact moment. This allows you to powerslide at very high speeds.
>
> No joystick or 270 degree wheel can come close to this level of precision control.
> As such, the computer cars will always destroy you after the 3rd race, no matter how
> good you are. And, the game just wont be fun or challenging.
>
> Pole Position is less demanding than Supersprint. However, its still the spinner
> aspect that gives that game very fine control... and an enhanced difficult level.
>
> There are many other games which use a spinner for control, and would be well worth
> the addition / costs.

Thanks for the info. By any chance, where can I buy these "spinner controllers"? I've never used one before. Do controller makers make these for PCs (USB)? If so what models/ brands do you recommend? Thanks again!

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/27/11
Send PM

#292014 - 07/17/12 04:01 PM

>
> Thanks for the info. By any chance, where can I buy these "spinner controllers"? I've
> never used one before. Do controller makers make these for PCs (USB)? If so what
> models/ brands do you recommend? Thanks again!

I have the Turbo Twist 2 from GroovyGameGear.com and it works great. It has an optional steering wheel attachment as well for games like Pole Position or Super Sprint. I'm sure most would recommend the same spinner.

View my gameplay videos:
Light Gun Games with Aimtrak
Trackball Games with X-Arcade Trackball
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer with Dual Throttle Controls

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 137 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 13162