View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

Would you take the new job....?
#290199 - 06/25/12 05:21 PM

If you had an opportunity to work at a new place, get $25000 a year more in wages, plus a crap load of more benefits, BUT work as a contractor for 3~6 months for the company first, would you do it?

I'm facing that decision...

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Would you take the new job....? new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#290200 - 06/25/12 05:29 PM

> If you had an opportunity to work at a new place, get $25000 a year more in wages,
> plus a crap load of more benefits, BUT work as a contractor for 3~6 months for the
> company first, would you do it?
>
> I'm facing that decision...

No, not worth it. US$25,000 isn't much anyway.

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Send PM

Re: Would you take the new job....? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#290202 - 06/25/12 05:40 PM

My biggest concern has to do with the whole 'contractor' scenario... Basically they could weed you out really quick if they wanted.

I am really tempted to because it's in an area I would like to move to.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#290203 - 06/25/12 06:00 PM

> My biggest concern has to do with the whole 'contractor' scenario... Basically they
> could weed you out really quick if they wanted.
>
> I am really tempted to because it's in an area I would like to move to.

So you won't be the only one hired in this situation? A pyramid hiring scheme? I'd be careful... sometimes they hire a few guys with plans to keep the best one, and weed the others out. And who is "best" is really subjective... might be the best one is the guy they personally like the best. Just saying.

Yeah, that's the wild card. You can't get ahead without risks, sometimes, but you need to weigh the cost... as a young single guy, I'd do it... if you have kids to feed... I might still, but look hard at it. I reached for a golden apple a couple years ago and really took it in the shorts.

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Send PM

Re: Would you take the new job....? new [Re: GatKong]
#290204 - 06/25/12 06:07 PM

Well, thing is, it's not a small company. It's Blue Cross/Blue Sheild / Noridian. It's a MAJOR national insurance company. So scheme doesn't really apply as far as I'm concerned. The job is almost a PERFECT fit for what I do now (network admin), the new job is Senior Network Administrator.

I would have to uproot my wife, 3 kids and a pomeranian to get there.

Not sure.....

Edited by TheBigAmbulance (06/25/12 06:07 PM)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#290208 - 06/25/12 06:31 PM

> Well, thing is, it's not a small company. It's Blue Cross/Blue Sheild / Noridian.
> It's a MAJOR national insurance company. So scheme doesn't really apply as far as I'm
> concerned. The job is almost a PERFECT fit for what I do now (network admin), the new
> job is Senior Network Administrator.

I wouldn't worry too much about an extended probation period if you're actually good at your job, and you get a good feeling from the people you'll be working with. We have six month probation periods at work, during which time the either new employee or the company may terminate employment at any point. If you have people failing probation late in in the period, or failing without seeing it coming, it's a case of epic mismanagement. Happened to one guy, and he was crying - this was not on my team, and if it happened on my team I would resign immediately. Hence why I mentioned getting a good feeling from the people you'll be working with. No-one has failed probation on my team. One person would have if he had continued the way he started - he was fully aware that his choices were to lift his game or quit, and he quit after about two months.

> I would have to uproot my wife, 3 kids and a pomeranian to get there.
>
> Not sure.....

Yeah, that's an issue. Or you can do it half-arsed like I did, and buy a small place close to new work for seeing how the job goes, and commute five hundred miles home to see the wife and kids on weekends. I need to buy a bigger place here and move the family, but the Sydney housing market is ridiculously overpriced. (Frequent flyer points and status credits add up quickly if you actually fly frequently, and the nominal fee for Hertz #1 Gold is definitely worth it if you're regularly hiring cars, though.)

Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: Would you take the new job....? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#290211 - 06/25/12 06:59 PM

> > If you had an opportunity to work at a new place, get $25000 a year more in wages,
> > plus a crap load of more benefits, BUT work as a contractor for 3~6 months for the
> > company first, would you do it?
> >
> > I'm facing that decision...
>
> No, not worth it. US$25,000 isn't much anyway.

I think that's about what a first year teacher gets paid in Americaland.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

Gor
Giver of truth.
Send PM

#290212 - 06/25/12 07:04 PM

> Well, thing is, it's not a small company. It's Blue Cross/Blue Sheild / Noridian.
> It's a MAJOR national insurance company. So scheme doesn't really apply as far as I'm
> concerned. The job is almost a PERFECT fit for what I do now (network admin), the new
> job is Senior Network Administrator.
>
> I would have to uproot my wife, 3 kids and a pomeranian to get there.
>
> Not sure.....

What does the wife think?

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Permission to get all up in your business. new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#290213 - 06/25/12 07:14 PM

>> I would have to uproot my wife, 3 kids and a pomeranian to get there.
>
> Not sure.....

I wouldn't let the move be the lynch pin. You said it's a $25,000 raise... which someone here said was not a lot. If you make $50,000, thats a 50% raise! That's a lot. As opposed to a 4% cost of living raise, yeah. Even if you make $100,000 that's still a 25% raise.

>and commute five hundred miles home to see the wife and kids on weekends.

That's where I would differ. On a REALLY short term, like a few months... maximum a year, MAYBE. But don't forget, you work to support your family... you don't have a family so you can work. I've had too many friends that tried the commute thing and that was the death nail in their relationship. They always start out "Our relationship is strong, we can manage that."

What made it so great was that you used to make each other #1. Make that relationship priority #2, and guess what... your relationship isn't top priority anymore.

If it's strong, why stress it then? First you skip coming home one weekend because you had to work long, or money is tight, or whatever, and then you missed your daughter's dance recital because your flight got bumped... its a valid excuse, but you still weren't there. It all adds up.

Quote:

Mitch Martin: True love is hard to find, sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from San Diego and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a goddamn magic show ready to double team your girlfriend...

If you take the job, move the family and stay together.

/endallupinyourbusiness

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Send PM

Re: Would you take the new job....? new [Re: Gor]
#290214 - 06/25/12 07:37 PM

My wife is fully on board. She thinks is a great opportunity contract work or not. She is skiddish about it also. But change always is like that.

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Send PM

Re: Permission to get all up in your business. new [Re: GatKong]
#290215 - 06/25/12 07:39 PM

Well, it wouldn't be that much of a raise, but it's damn close. I would be making close to a 45% raise on what I have now, PLUS the benefits are much much better (more of a 401k match, insurance premiums are lower than now, plus leaving in a larger city than 'hickville').

My sister lives in the city that I would be going to. While transferring house and stuff, would stay with her to keep employed while moving the family. Within a couple months, or at least before school starts, we would have the whole clan moved.

Interviewing in a couple hours....

Edited by TheBigAmbulance (06/25/12 07:44 PM)

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

#290218 - 06/25/12 07:58 PM

Quote:

My wife is fully on board. She thinks is a great opportunity contract work or not. She is skiddish about it also. But change always is like that.

Take the risk for you only live once. You don't want to realize further down the road that you passed up a great opportunity. I've had that happen to me. :-)

And while people may scoff at $25k it's still money. In your case it's $25k on top of what you already make. If your employment and work ethic is impeccable then you'll succeed.

Good luck! ;-)

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Send PM

Re: Would you take the new job....? new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#290221 - 06/25/12 08:22 PM

Thanks!!

It's actually more than that. My current company only makes a 2% contribution to 401k, while the new one makes 10%. Plus there are benies up the ass!!

Overall, it probably is twice the compensations I am getting now.

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

#290222 - 06/25/12 08:42 PM

Quote:

It's actually more than that. My current company only makes a 2% contribution to 401k, while the new one makes 10%. Plus there are benies up the ass!!

Well there ya go! You can't lose with those bennies. Just don't overwork/overextend yourself or neglect your other responsibilities to your family and you'll be all set.

As for Gor...

Quote:

I think that's about what a first year teacher gets paid in Americaland.

...I'm of the opinion that this country needs more street-smart teachers. Book smarts are okay until something needs to be done not by the book. I have my application and credentials ready for tomorrow. I already have a reference from another teacher who has seen my on-site work and recommended me for a teaching position within Vo-Tech adult education (I'm nailing down the details and materials for the Practical Computing adult education class I'm cooking up).

The big picture: It seems like career changes are the rage nowadays. I figure that the world needs computer-savvy adults who can be taught what to do with their computers and save some time, money and frustration. The more people who know their systems the less computers that will be available as breeding grounds for the next big botnet. :-)

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Coming my way are ya? new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#290224 - 06/25/12 09:04 PM

> It's a MAJOR national insurance company.

If you are referring to locations near me, I may be able to offer some inside perspective on the job.
PM?

Gor
Giver of truth.
Send PM

Re: Would you take the new job....? new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#290228 - 06/25/12 09:48 PM

>> It's actually more than that. My current company only makes a 2% contribution to
>> 401k, while the new one makes 10%. Plus there are benies up the ass!!
>
> Well there ya go! You can't lose with those bennies. Just don't overwork/overextend
> yourself or neglect your other responsibilities to your family and you'll be all set.
>

I concur, if the wife is well into it and the compensation is that much greater, go for it. You will have
a higher cost of living in the big city versus hicksville or wherever, but there are benefits to that move
as well. Like doing stuff, if you like stuff.

> As for Gor...
>
>> I think that's about what a first year teacher gets paid in Americaland.
>
> ...I'm of the opinion that this country needs more street-smart teachers. Book smarts
> are okay until something needs to be done not by the book. I have my application and
> credentials ready for tomorrow. I already have a reference from another teacher who
> has seen my on-site work and recommended me for a teaching position within Vo-Tech
> adult education (I'm nailing down the details and materials for the Practical
> Computing adult education class I'm cooking up).
>

I wasn't really making a statement about the America's public education system, just stating that the
raise is what some people get for a salary, so $25,000 could be a lot. I wouldn't turn that down if
offered in a raise.

> The big picture: It seems like career changes are the rage nowadays. I figure that
> the world needs computer-savvy adults who can be taught what to do with their
> computers and save some time, money and frustration. The more people who know their
> systems the less computers that will be available as breeding grounds for the next
> big botnet. :-)
>
> --Bekki

Sounds good.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 121 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1555