italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: To tablet or not to tablet? new [Re: Breetai]
#289739 - 06/18/12 02:58 AM

> What do you people think?

If you read a lot of books, surf the web on a train, like digital grocery lists, or have kids in need of a distraction...HELL YES.

If you want to do anything else...pass.

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

#289740 - 06/18/12 03:14 AM

> What do you people think?

Most tablets these days are expensive toys that serve no useful purpose. So if you want to flash around a useless piece of shit in public to show how cool you think you are, you should probably buy a tablet.

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Re: To tablet or not to tablet? new [Re: italie]
#289745 - 06/18/12 03:53 AM

> If you read a lot of books

Er, gotta' disagree with you there. Kindle or Nook for books, not a tablet. Gotta' preserve what eyesight is left...

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

#289749 - 06/18/12 04:16 AM

I was given an iPad 2 from my current employer. I wouldn't have ever bought one though.

It's a nice media gadget....good for casual gaming, internet surfing, and watching Netflix. It is by no means a laptop replacement or substitute IMO. I'm really impressed with the battery life from an iPad, however if that battery goes bad there is no way to replace it, or no easy way to open it up yourself. I'm also impressed with the brightness and clarity of the screen, and the multi-touch gestures once you get the hang of it is really intuitive.

I'm not an Apple guy by any means, and although the iPad is fun to goof off with sometimes, the Appstore sucks IMO and if I ever have any problems with the iPad that would render it unworkable, I can't justify ever getting it repaired. I just don't use it that often.

I'd give it a 6/10

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: To tablet or not to tablet? new [Re: aavada]
#289751 - 06/18/12 04:47 AM

> > If you read a lot of books
>
> Er, gotta' disagree with you there. Kindle or Nook for books, not a tablet. Gotta'
> preserve what eyesight is left...

Depends greatly on the tablet I guess. My cheapy viewsonic has a special read mode. very easy on the eyes.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

A little harsh there... new [Re: Matty_]
#289752 - 06/18/12 04:53 AM

You should say that it's not for YOU because it doesn't serve any of YOUR purposes. There are many applications of a tablet that are useful to others. I could never replace my laptop with a tablet but a tablet is even more portable and has better battery life.
I have spent almost 7.5 years of my life on the water. It's nice to be able to lay in my rack and watch movies or play a game, and then tuck my tablet neatly away and fall asleep. My laptop is too power hungry to accomodate me (I don't have an electrical outlet in my rack) and too bulky to leave in my rack when I sleep.

Instead of writing a book on the subject, I'll leave it at this: It all depends upon your needs and lifestyle. To say otherwise is just irresponsible and borders on just plain WRONG.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Matty_
Part-time troll
Send PM

Re: A little harsh there... new [Re: URherenow]
#289753 - 06/18/12 05:44 AM

> I have spent almost 7.5 years of my life on the water. It's nice to be able to lay in
> my rack and watch movies or play a game, and then tuck my tablet neatly away and fall
> asleep.

That would appear to fit my characterisation of tablets as expensive toys :P

Matty_
Part-time troll
Send PM

Re: To tablet or not to tablet? new [Re: Hizzout]
#289754 - 06/18/12 05:46 AM

> and the multi-touch gestures once you
> get the hang of it is really intuitive.

If you need to qualify it with "once you get the hang of it" you've contradicted the meaning of "intuitive" :P

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#289775 - 06/18/12 02:32 PM

I'm getting a 9.7 inch Android 4.0 tablet because I've been commuting via public transportation the last couple months and I have dozens of PDFs I could be reading instead of staring at some of Boston's hottest women watching the sun rise.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: A little harsh there... new [Re: Matty_]
#289782 - 06/18/12 04:12 PM

> > I have spent almost 7.5 years of my life on the water. It's nice to be able to lay
> in
> > my rack and watch movies or play a game, and then tuck my tablet neatly away and
> fall
> > asleep.
>
> That would appear to fit my characterisation of tablets as expensive toys :P

I think expensive toys pretty much characterizes what brought us all to mameworld in the first place.
Except maybe gregf

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

#289790 - 06/18/12 05:06 PM

A lot of the equipment I work with needs a serial port. That is one big draw back for me, and why I will stick with a PC/Mac.

However, for more business orientated types (management-cough, salesman and the like), a tablet probably makes more sense.

I have a kindle fire, and I use the hell out of the thing for browsing, movies and the like. Traveling on a plane and using it for media kicks ass!

Mojo2000
Regular
Loc: North America
Send PM

Re: To tablet or not to tablet? new [Re: aavada]
#289797 - 06/18/12 09:21 PM

> > If you read a lot of books
>
> Er, gotta' disagree with you there. Kindle or Nook for books, not a tablet. Gotta'
> preserve what eyesight is left...

If you want to read sheet music, as I do professionally, the iPad and HP TouchPad make more sense than other tablets (especially Kindle et al) because their size and 3:4 aspect ratio match typical sheet music better.

I haven't met anybody working in music who sees what I do and then dismisses the 'Pad as an expensive toy.

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

#289814 - 06/19/12 02:51 AM

I'll stick with my Acer netbook and my Nook. A tablet seems geeky cool but I'm more for finding ways to exploit it...and to make it run an IBM PC 5150 emulator. ;-)

Speaking of which, I've noticed that the separate video hardware is also emulated as well. For the good of computing history I'm tempted to give up my 8-bit Paradise VGA card along with its driver diskette (the utilities are saved) so that its parts can be emulatued in MESS or other projects.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Breetai
Semi-Lurker "full time drinker"
Reged: 11/02/03
Loc: Omaha
Send PM

gotta cheapy 7 incher running android wifi only new [Re: Breetai]
#289969 - 06/21/12 05:05 AM Attachment: tablet.JPG 379 KB (0 downloads)

got mame running on it makes me think mini mame cab project esp since it was less than a Franklin!

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 134 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1820