MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Like old computer stories? Most interesting (yet horrifying) eBay description ever.
#289345 - 06/13/12 03:42 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160810144871

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Like old computer stories? Most interesting (yet horrifying) eBay description ever. new [Re: aavada]
#289367 - 06/13/12 09:55 AM

> http://www.ebay.com/itm/160810144871

Yes, I was thinking seriously about this one. Arguably one of the most important PCs of the 20th century - at least as far as Apple is concerned. And a steal at 15K.

Moose

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: Like old computer stories? Most interesting (yet horrifying) eBay description ever. new [Re: Moose]
#289375 - 06/13/12 02:39 PM

Quote:

Yes, I was thinking seriously about this one. Arguably one of the most important PCs of the 20th century - at least as far as Apple is concerned. And a steal at 15K.

Dumb question in case it's been asked: How much of that rig is emulated within MESS? And if I can still get flawless reads from my 5.25" diskettes how beefy is the ferric oxide on those floppies?

What's stunning is that Apple Inc. hasn't bothered to buy it for its own preservation. It's as if Woz was overlooked once Jobs got his way.

I'm usually mistaken. And I'll openly admit it. ;-)

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

Re: Like old computer stories? Most interesting (yet horrifying) eBay description ever. new [Re: aavada]
#289385 - 06/13/12 05:29 PM

very interesting backstory. it's pretty unusual to see actual historic IT pieces get auctioned.

i learned everything i know from KC

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

TL;DR (nt) new [Re: aavada]
#289392 - 06/13/12 07:01 PM

> http://www.ebay.com/itm/160810144871

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Like old computer stories? Most interesting (yet horrifying) eBay description ever. new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#289464 - 06/14/12 09:20 AM

> Yes, I was thinking seriously about this one. Arguably one of the most important PCs
> of the 20th century - at least as far as Apple is concerned. And a steal at 15K.
>
> Dumb question in case it's been asked: How much of that rig is emulated within MESS?
> And if I can still get flawless reads from my 5.25" diskettes how beefy is the ferric
> oxide on those floppies?

Depending on how they have been stored, you should be OK for most (if not all) of them, but back them up soon. What machine are they for ?

If you don't have a suitable machine / floppy drive, there's a great board you can buy. [I've just spent 10 mins searching for details .... must be on my work PC. Will advise later if you are interested)

> What's stunning is that Apple Inc. hasn't bothered to buy it for its own
> preservation. It's as if Woz was overlooked once Jobs got his way.

Yes, it really does seem that way. Even before Woz left, it seems like he was being overlooked.

Moose

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: Like old computer stories? Most interesting (yet horrifying) eBay description ever. new [Re: Moose]
#289544 - 06/15/12 09:00 AM

Quote:

Depending on how they have been stored, you should be OK for most (if not all) of them, but back them up soon. What machine are they for ?

Well, I backed up my MS-DOS floppies some time ago. As in the main operating system, application, and game diskettes. Actually, to better preserve them, I simply dumped them into diskette image files. Therefore someday they can be recreated sector-by-sector.

The reason why I bring up the ferric oxide stuff regarding the old Apple lab equipment was that it seems like the HD coatings are much more durable since they naturally have to store more data. Though I also know that some ferric coatings are still okay on very old floppies.

The irony is that I image the old floppies into files stored upon an LS-120 diskette. My old P233 (P266?) doesn't have USB but it does have a LS-120 drive and I have a portable USB LS-120 drive hooked to my current rig. Floppies to floppies. Very retro but it works.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 156 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1172