View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Byuu's Bsnes GBA, NES, etc emulation...
#287898 - 05/26/12 08:11 AM

As already discussed, I am unable to visit byuu's forum because there is a general area wide ban where I live because some member got banned and tried registering again under a proxy and the result was an area wide ban. So I am unable to ask this question (or any question) on his forum.

I am curious, does byuu plan on emulating the new systems he recently added support to(GBA, GB, GBC, NES, etc.) in bsnes at the same accuracy level as he did with the SNES? Ya know how bsnes SNES emulation accuracy is nearly 100% accurate... well does he plan on doing the same thing with the GBA, NES, etc. that he recently added support to?

If it's a SNES emulator, then why did he add support to the NES, GBA, etc.? Did he decide to make bsnes a multi-emulator? Because I remember reading one of his articles that was posted on some other site and he said that he did not plan on working on emulating another game system. Because somebody asked him what his plans were after he finished working on bsnes... they asked him if he planned on making a NES emulator or Sega Saturn emulator (I forgot which one) and he replied no. Maybe he changed his mind since then?

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: Byuu's Bsnes GBA, NES, etc emulation... new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#287907 - 05/26/12 11:30 AM

> I am curious, does byuu plan on emulating the new systems he recently added support
> to(GBA, GB, GBC, NES, etc.) in bsnes at the same accuracy level as he did with the
> SNES? Ya know how bsnes SNES emulation accuracy is nearly 100% accurate... well does
> he plan on doing the same thing with the GBA, NES, etc. that he recently added
> support to?

From what I read on the forms at byuu and nesdev, it seems the answer is an indefinite yes to both questions with the implication such would take years.

> If it's a SNES emulator, then why did he add support to the NES, GBA, etc.? Did he
> decide to make bsnes a multi-emulator?

Perhaps love for Nintendo. Perhaps he wants to archive all Nintendo related items under his new purposed ROM archiving format. Maybe it's for being known to have done that all, maybe it's all a true labor of love. Perhaps a combination of those and other reasons. I haven't come across anything stating the exact exclusive reason(s).

>Because I remember reading one of his articles
> that was posted on some other site and he said that he did not plan on working on
> emulating another game system. Because somebody asked him what his plans were after
> he finished working on bsnes... they asked him if he planned on making a NES emulator
> or Sega Saturn emulator (I forgot which one) and he replied no. Maybe he changed his
> mind since then?

I recall the article you mentioned, but evidently by this track record...

0.83 = Adds NES
0.84 = Adds Gameboy (Color)
0.88 = Adds Gameboy Advance
0.89 = Adds ability to "easily add (and remove) entire systems from bsnes with only three lines of code."

...To say the least, he changed his mind.

http://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2731&start=45

2012-04-26 at 08:41 AM byuu said:

"In all seriousness, hopefully you'll enjoy once the emulation is more mature. But yeah, this is very likely to be the final emulator I do*, at least for the bsnes project. I don't want bsnes to become MESS2. MESS does a better job of unlimited systems than I could.
So from this point, we could certainly discuss working toward the GUI being more dynamic to allowing additional CPU cores that others develop**, but I'm not going to own any more cores myself."

*He is referring to the Gameboy Advance.
**Probably tied to the aforementioned v0.89 added ability.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#287912 - 05/26/12 01:49 PM

no, he wont. he just added those systems because it was an easy job. he said it himself.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#287915 - 05/26/12 03:28 PM

Of those three systems, two of the modules created were for completing SNES compatibility.

Super Gameboy emulation requires full SNES emulation and full GB emulation to do CORRECTLY. Until BSNES, there was no emulation of the additional SNES audio channel. So, Byuu merged in the most accurate GB emulator out there (which had a compatible license, too)

GBA came as a very slight extension of the completion of SNES emulation. That Shogi game that was the very last to be emulated had a full ARMv3 processor for the AI in it. Once ARMv3 was completed, Byuu quickly realized that GBA was a minor hop up to the ARMv4, which was a set of extensions on top of what he already had-- implementing GBA would make it easier to debug and test the ARM core.

NES came from being bored of working on SNES all the time and needing a change of pace.

All of this took no query on his forums to find. It's all in his news posts. He's been very up-front about his reasons.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Byuu's Bsnes GBA, NES, etc emulation... new [Re: Firehawke]
#287924 - 05/26/12 06:14 PM

Quote:

All of this took no query on his forums to find. It's all in his news posts. He's been very up-front about his reasons

As I've already said, I can't access his forum unfortunately because of the area wide ban that is implemented in my area. Which speaking of that, I wish he would lift the area wide ban. It's not fair that one knuckle head can ruin it for everyone else in my area. And besides, if the knuckle head wanted to access his forum, he probably knows how to do so through a proxy.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#287925 - 05/26/12 06:21 PM

Like I said, it took NO query of his forums. NONE. ZERO.
Heck, I could have done THIS to get it, if the main pages are blocked (which I really doubt):

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/se...920&bih=995

Which I just got by putting "cache:www.byuu.org" into Google.

NO ACCESS to his forums was done.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: Byuu's Bsnes GBA, NES, etc emulation... new [Re: Firehawke]
#287930 - 05/26/12 08:21 PM

> All of this took no query on his forums to find. It's all in his news posts. He's
> been very up-front about his reasons.

LOL...Very cool. Overlooked and forgot about the obvious. Yep, he provides a simple breakdown for each system update and inclusion on his newspage.

Thanks for that

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

Re: Byuu's Bsnes GBA, NES, etc emulation... new [Re: Trebor]
#287931 - 05/26/12 08:25 PM

Because somebody asked him what his plans were after
> > he finished working on bsnes... they asked him if he planned on making a NES
> emulator
> > or Sega Saturn emulatorand he replied no.

Lolz..Byuu doing a cycle accurate Sega Saturn Emulator, the mind boggles at what CPU would be needed to run that at full speed..

Anime-niac
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Loc: Georgia, USA
Send PM

Re: Byuu's Bsnes GBA, NES, etc emulation... new [Re: Ziggy100]
#287933 - 05/26/12 09:57 PM

> Because somebody asked him what his plans were after
> > > he finished working on bsnes... they asked him if he planned on making a NES
> > emulator
> > > or Sega Saturn emulatorand he replied no.
>
> Lolz..Byuu doing a cycle accurate Sega Saturn Emulator, the mind boggles at what CPU
> would be needed to run that at full speed..

16 Petahertz?

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#287941 - 05/26/12 11:11 PM

> All of this took no query on his forums to find. It's all in his news posts. He's
> been very up-front about his reasons
> As I've already said, I can't access his forum unfortunately because of the area wide
> ban that is implemented in my area. Which speaking of that, I wish he would lift the
> area wide ban. It's not fair that one knuckle head can ruin it for everyone else in
> my area. And besides, if the knuckle head wanted to access his forum, he probably
> knows how to do so through a proxy.

So what is stopping YOU from doing so through a proxy?

//Getting old, this is.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Byuu's Bsnes GBA, NES, etc emulation... new [Re: italie]
#287945 - 05/27/12 12:35 AM

> //Getting old, this is.

speaketh teh Yoda

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Byuu's Bsnes GBA, NES, etc emulation... new [Re: italie]
#287946 - 05/27/12 12:35 AM

Quote:

Getting old, this is

Oh you got that right. Don't you get tired of yourself? Your act is played out. You always got to be the first (and sometimes only) one to start in nit picking over every comment I post. I tell ya, you either play with yourself too much, or not enough. Anyways, it's not going to work this time... I won't be coming out of retirement.

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/28/10
Send PM

#287977 - 05/27/12 04:49 AM

You failed to address his point and focused on the little aside that offended you.

Can you say why you can't use a proxy to access that site instead of posting about it here? If you need help someone on here probably knows how to find and use a free web proxy. I've never needed to do so, otherwise I'd give you some pointers myself.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 293 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2975