Pages: 1

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Attack of the MAME variants @ Emucr
#287838 - 05/25/12 07:18 PM

I swear every time I go to emucr there is a different\new MAME variant posted.Some of the newer ones I have never heard of before

1.ThunderMAME32-my personal favorite name

2.MAME32 More! v0.84.146

3.Mame32K v0.67.0.146-havent seen this one in awhile

4.Houba Plus! Plus! Plus! Kaillera v0.146 r164

5.MAME Plus! Plus Kaillera v0.146 r164

6.Mame32Plus [Ash-Build] v0.146

7.WolfMame v0.146-havent seen this one in awhile either

And a few more I might have missed and\or they havent been updated yet

Seems inserting "plus" into the title is the thing to do now

How confusing for new users! its like where to start? Im not putting down anyones work,but thats alot of MAMES to choose from especially when you really only need vanilla

http://www.emucr.com/

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: Attack of the MAME variants @ Emucr new [Re: mesk]
#287842 - 05/25/12 07:28 PM

Simple. Don't use EMUCR's builds. A number of those violate the MAME license, too.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#287846 - 05/25/12 07:34 PM

> I swear every time I go to emucr there is a different\new MAME variant posted.Some of
> the newer ones I have never heard of before
>
> 1.ThunderMAME32-my personal favorite name
>
> 2.MAME32 More! v0.84.146
>
> 3.Mame32K v0.67.0.146-havent seen this one in awhile
>
> 4.Houba Plus! Plus! Plus! Kaillera v0.146 r164
>
> 5.MAME Plus! Plus Kaillera v0.146 r164
>
> 6.Mame32Plus [Ash-Build] v0.146
>
> 7.WolfMame v0.146-havent seen this one in awhile either
>
> And a few more I might have missed and\or they havent been updated yet
>
> Seems inserting "plus" into the title is the thing to do now
>
> How confusing for new users! its like where to start? Im not putting down anyones
> work,but thats alot of MAMES to choose from especially when you really only need
> vanilla
>
> http://www.emucr.com/

Wolfmame, in my eyes, is the only legitimate alternative build listed there. Everything else either adds titles either too new, blatant hacks or forbidden title, use of that K-online server stuff or modified UI elements (no nag options, hi score support, etc).. it's pretty crazy that any one of the has any type of market.

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

Re: Attack of the MAME variants @ Emucr new [Re: Firehawke]
#287848 - 05/25/12 07:39 PM

> Simple. Don't use EMUCR's builds. A number of those violate the MAME license, too.

LOL of course I dont use emucr builds,what have you been smoking to think I actually would?

I was just pointing out how many different ones there are,and how it can be very confusing for a virgin MAME user to make a initial decision.Whats worse is if they were to pick one full of bugs that may sour them from emulation in general.

Also curious as to why they are all 32bit builds? Good lord we are almost halfway though 2012,a i3 2100 & msi 7680 MB will run you a bit over $200 USD.even if that too much the G860 can be had for $35.00 less then the i3,and its still 64 bit

On a side note you got to love emucr's description of FBAshuffle

EmuCR: "FB Alpha ShuffleFB Alpha Shuffle v2.2.6 (2012/05/22) is released. FB Alpha Shuffle is an unofficial version based on FBA with many pointless features" That is hilarious

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Re: Attack of the MAME variants @ Emucr new [Re: Tafoid]
#287850 - 05/25/12 07:48 PM

Nothing wrong with hiscore support as long as people don't report spurious bugs to MAME Testers. I believe that was the main reason it was removed from core MAME to begin with...

I don't understand all the variants based on ancient versions like 0.67 and 0.84. cps[12].c and neogeo.c are probably two of the least demanding drivers in all of MAME; no one should have a PC that can't run them at full speed in modern MAME.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Attack of the MAME variants @ Emucr new [Re: Tafoid]
#287851 - 05/25/12 07:54 PM

It's the ridiculously high quality of some of the forbidden titles that makes people go lamebuild shopping.

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

#287885 - 05/26/12 03:04 AM

Don't forget ShmupMAME and I'm sure there's some more.

I always thought the same as you. I've never seen so many builds of an emulator before. It has even more builds than the Sega Genesis emulator "Gens".

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

#287934 - 05/26/12 10:38 PM

Quote:

LOL of course I dont use emucr builds,what have you been smoking to think I actually would?

I'm sure that I'll get chewed out by the emucr admin(s) if I say this. Since I don't care about their feelings then I'll state that I never was comfortable downloading anything from emucr. It, to me, seems like just another lame TopSite (if you don't like that mention then chew on this. That'll give ya somethin' ta cry aboot. )

It always seemed like a needless bureaucracy between me and the actual official site for whatever emulator I'm interested in. I'd rather check out Wikipedia to find out the actual Cliff Notes for an emulator and find the actual official source from there. Wikipedia, as flawed as it is, is a known quantity. Not only that but when I need to find obscure emulators Zophar's Domain is still okay, though dated (actually its news was just updated a day ago so it's limpin' around).

Anyway, if emucr wants to publish illegal derivatives of MAME/MESS then that's their choice just as MAMEdev has the choice to go after those shady "coders" who are more interested in warez than history. Doesn't MAMEdev have a "Hall Of Shame" to point out illegal and therefore unsupported derivatives of MAME but without the links?

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

Re: Attack of the MAME variants @ Emucr new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#287936 - 05/26/12 10:59 PM

EmuCR does do ONE useful function-- they put out SVN builds for Dolphin/PCSX2/etc so that you don't have to hunt down builds for each from different sources.

The question remains whether you can really trust those builds.

Honestly, there hasn't been a service up to the spec of the old "EMU News Service" for news aggregation in the last ten years.. but then, news is a lot slower than it was back in the "fifteen major updates every day!" days.

---

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Send PM

#287950 - 05/27/12 01:16 AM

Quote:

EmuCR does do ONE useful function-- they put out SVN builds for Dolphin/PCSX2/etc so that you don't have to hunt down builds for each from different sources.

The official code for Dolphin is hosted at Google Code. They also have a main website. I was interested in that emulator just to check out "Ocarina of Time" and "Superman64". The former was annoying with that fruit-flyin' floatin' fairy while the latter was, well, most gamers know about the latter. ;-)

For Sony stuff I'm sure anyone can poke around and find the official sites for the PlayStation emulators. I'd post links but I'm not interested in that platform (Chris-Chan and his fellow aspies ruined that "4-evar"). Besides, I did post general links to the emulation stuff already.

I've had my fill of TopSites many years ago (around 2001 or so, in case yer wonderin'). They're not worth the popups and other forms of systemic clown-pocket exploitation. Unless yer shady. In that case, emucr is K-KaD K00l D00D! :-)

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

#287953 - 05/27/12 01:44 AM

Yes, but those official sites DO NOT PROVIDE SVN BUILDS. Just direct access to the SVN repository.

I'm saying that EMUCR compiles them, which saves a lot of time and hassle putting together a build environment for PCSX2 and Dolphin.

---

Bekki Doll
Send PM

#287972 - 05/27/12 04:34 AM

Quote:

Yes, but those official sites DO NOT PROVIDE SVN BUILDS. Just direct access to the SVN repository.

Ah, I get it now. Now I feel like a rube, which wouldn't be the first time. I never did the subversion thang, aside from archiving code to floppies and keep using a working copy that's a perpetual beta. ;-)

I'm old. LOL!

--Bekki

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

#287989 - 05/27/12 08:03 AM

I apologize if my tone seems a bit harsher than usual today. It's been.. one of those days.

Back on topic, because of the sheer amount of time that typically passes between official releases of Dolphin/PCSX2, you generally need to find a good trusted source of SVN/CVS/GIT builds to follow or just bite the bullet and set up a compile farm. The former's a lot easier, though, let me tell you. Some of these projects don't document required subpackages well.

---

Bekki Doll
Send PM

#287998 - 05/27/12 10:59 AM

Quote:

I apologize if my tone seems a bit harsher than usual today. It's been.. one of those days.

I have those days, usually from people who don't listen. So don't worry about it. I am a stubborn person at times but I eventually understand (it's old age creepin' up on me). :-)

Quote:

...because of the sheer amount of time that typically passes between official releases of Dolphin/PCSX2, you generally need to find a good trusted source of SVN/CVS/GIT builds to follow...

I can understand that. The compiled code or release-ready source is usually what most people see. They see that the version number hasn't changed or that a major release didn't occur in a while and assume that the project was abandoned without digging deeper.

Meanwhile, the SVN/CVS/GIT is always being updated behind the scenes by numerous contributors.

So I see exactly what you're getting at. I code solo and overlooked the fact that some huge projects are indeed group projects that require collaboration that may be unwieldy for just one person. For example, MAME/MESS or, another personal fave, Audacity.

EmuCR may have a great backend for collaborative development but their main-site general public downloads are skeevy. The "CR" could mean "Coding Resource" for developers but, in regards to the shady MAME/MESS distros, I can't get the term "Code Rape" out of my head now.

--Bekki

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

#288021 - 05/27/12 05:34 PM

@ Firehawke

Not sure if you know but pcsx2 has a compiling bot that provides SVN's
http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

that is pretty up to date,and you can get dolphin SVN's from their site as well

http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/download.html

See? no need for compiling environment or to use Emucr

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

MAME svn's now @ EmuCR new [Re: mesk]
#288293 - 05/30/12 06:30 PM

This person must have alot of free time on his\her hands to compile all these emulators

also this has got to take the cake for stupid MAME variant names

http://www.emucr.com/2012/05/mame32-aircraft-edition-v0146.html#comment-form

Aircraft edition...???

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

Re: MAME svn's now @ EmuCR new [Re: mesk]
#288298 - 05/30/12 07:59 PM

It's all automated. They monitor Subversion servers for these projects and autobuild a new revision as soon as a commit is made.

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

Re: MAME svn's now @ EmuCR new [Re: Firehawke]
#288305 - 05/30/12 10:04 PM

Ah,got ya.Firehawke,did you read my post a few up in this thread about pcsx2 & dolphin svn's being available @ their sites so you dont have to use emucr?

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

Re: MAME svn's now @ EmuCR new [Re: mesk]
#288313 - 05/30/12 10:56 PM

Yeah, was delayed in responding by actually forgetting about the thread for a bit. I've been pretty busy the last day or two. Or maybe old age is setting in. Hard to tell!

Well, I wasn't aware of them actually providing regular beta builds. I'll have to look into that. That still leaves things like DeSmuME.

Not that I download from EmuCR much, anyway. The place is a bit shady in general, like I said earlier.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3147