MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Installing Antivirus software then uninstalling it after the full scan will slow down the computer?
#286733 - 05/17/12 01:17 PM

My current antivirus software that I use is Microsoft Security Essentials. I like it, detects & prevents well, and it uses very little system resources which is important. I was thinking of downloading some of the other top, free antimalware software such as:

Malwarebytes
AVG
Lavasoft Ad-Aware
Spybot - S&D

I was thinking of downloading them. After downloading them, I would turn off Microsoft Security Essential's realtime protection. Then I would install Malwarebytes. I would make sure to NOT select realtime protection in the installation setup/settings. After installation, I would perform a full scan. If any malware was detected, I would obviously clean it. Then I would uninstall Malwarebytes.

I would repeat this process, one by one, with the other free antimalware programs listed above, making sure that I uninstall each antimalware program before installing the next one. And making sure NOT to select realtime protection for any of them.

I am thinking about doing this process just to make sure my computer is clean and free of malware. My computer is not experiencing any problems or slowdown, but I was thinking about doing this process just to be on the safe side.

Now here is my question...

If I were to perform this process, after the process is complete and all of the antimalware software is uninstalled from my computer (except my current antimalware software, Microsoft Security Essentials, that I plan to keep)...

Would this process slow down my computer in any way after it's complete? I want to know if installing all these antimalware programs will somehow slow down my computer after they are uninstalled. Will they leave anything behind in the registry or wherevere that will slow down my computer? Do you guys think this process is a good idea? If not, why?

(Please don't respond with any negative comments. I want to hear your input on the matter.)

DrArcade
AKA Mr. CAST
Reged: 03/27/12
Loc: Latin America
Send PM

Re: Installing Antivirus software then uninstalling it after the full scan will slow down the computer? new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#286749 - 05/17/12 04:50 PM

The problem is almost all the above programs do not uninstall cleaning, leaving registry entries, mru's, and files on the HD.

Best to do a system snapshot before the install, then restore when you are all done. Or at a minimum use one of the registry/system checkpoint software packages that lets you roll back your system to X in time.

Or alternately. Install a VM of the same OS you are running, create a share on your Host PC that your Guest VM can read. Then install all the AV software on the VM and scan your HOST pc. This will catch everything that's on the disk, but not in memory.

Mr. CAST

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Installing Antivirus software then uninstalling it after the full scan will slow down the computer? new [Re: DrArcade]
#286789 - 05/17/12 09:36 PM

> Best to do a system snapshot before the install, then restore when you are all done.

???

If he does that, everything he just cleaned out will be back again!

S

DrArcade
AKA Mr. CAST
Send PM

Re: Installing Antivirus software then uninstalling it after the full scan will slow down the computer? new [Re: Sune]
#286790 - 05/17/12 09:39 PM

> > Best to do a system snapshot before the install, then restore when you are all
> done.
>
> ???
>
> If he does that, everything he just cleaned out will be back again!
>
> S

I interpreted his post as wanting to try different scanners to see if they find anything, and then remove said installed scanners. Leaving no traces of the installed scanners.

Without going the VM route (or connecting the OS drive) to a 2nd machine (or booting a winpe/linux environment) to both clean the system if infected and have no remnants of the scanners installed.

I could be wrong about what he's trying to accomplish.

Mr. CAST

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Installing Antivirus software then uninstalling it after the full scan will slow down the computer? new [Re: DrArcade]
#286793 - 05/17/12 09:55 PM

> > > Best to do a system snapshot before the install, then restore when you are all
> > done.
> >
> > ???
> >
> > If he does that, everything he just cleaned out will be back again!
> >
> > S
>
> I interpreted his post as wanting to try different scanners to see if they find
> anything, and then remove said installed scanners. Leaving no traces of the installed
> scanners.
>
> Without going the VM route (or connecting the OS drive) to a 2nd machine (or booting
> a winpe/linux environment) to both clean the system if infected and have no remnants
> of the scanners installed.
>
> I could be wrong about what he's trying to accomplish.
>
> Mr. CAST

I agree with Sune, he wants to scan and remove, then remove the scanners.

Your suggestions of using a VM or an emergency boot disk are good ones, also you could download "portable" versions of the scanners in question, if they exist - which they often do not.

The problem is the clean uninstall. Since antivirus programs often do not cleanly uninstall, well... you've covered that too. Hmm. I will say the bits and pieces left behind are often not enough to slow the system significantly.

Instead of using restore state (since as Sune says it will restore the removed viruses) perhaps better is to use the individual program's emergency uninstall utilities (which often exist) or a cleanup utility - something like Revo Uninstaller Pro.

Anyhow, we need more information.

- Stiletto

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: Installing Antivirus software then uninstalling it after the full scan will slow down the computer? new [Re: Stiletto]
#286829 - 05/18/12 01:35 AM

There's a serious problem with using computers when this kind of....work....is necessary.....

When I try stuff, I just run it all together. Mbytes, Ad-aware, and Spybot are the same kind of thing, and don't interact with AV.

I use MSE, and may use Mbytes. The other two I haven't used for years.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Installing Antivirus software then uninstalling it after the full scan will slow down the computer? new [Re: Stiletto]
#286865 - 05/18/12 08:44 AM

Thank you all for the replies and opinions. I wish more threads could be like this one.

Quote:

I agree with Sune, he wants to scan and remove, then remove the scanners.

Yep, that's what I want to do.

Quote:

Best to do a system snapshot before the install, then restore when you are all done. Or at a minimum use one of the registry/system checkpoint software packages that lets you roll back your system to X in time.

Are you talking about the Windows XP "System Restore"? If so, I thought about that but if one of the scanners wind up finding malware and cleans it, then when I perform a System Restore, the malware will be brought back to life... won't it?

Quote:

The problem is almost all the above programs do not uninstall cleaning, leaving registry entries, mru's, and files on the HD.

That's what I've been reading Urgh, I wish it wasn't like that.

Quote:

I will say the bits and pieces left behind are often not enough to slow the system significantly.

But any kind of resulting slow down would hurt especially more for me since I'm running a P4, 3.0 GHz w/ HT, 1GB mem. So I can't afford for there to be even a small visible slow down afterwards.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Installing Antivirus software then uninstalling it after the full scan will slow down the computer? new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#286895 - 05/18/12 09:01 PM

> But any kind of resulting slow down would hurt especially more for me since I'm
> running a P4, 3.0 GHz w/ HT, 1GB mem. So I can't afford for there to be even a small
> visible slow down afterwards.

I'm running this set-up - with 2 gigs of memory, though have used only one. The main issue here is anything that would slow the processor down anyways: Win7 probably, any apps that were written for a more modern OS, lots of flash on web pages.

I think you're nit-picking. And maybe you've been a little careless....

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Waremonger
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

#286920 - 05/19/12 12:33 AM

> Thank you all for the replies and opinions. I wish more threads could be like this
> one.
>
> I agree with Sune, he wants to scan and remove, then remove the scanners.
> Yep, that's what I want to do.
>
> Best to do a system snapshot before the install, then restore when you are all done.
> Or at a minimum use one of the registry/system checkpoint software packages that lets
> you roll back your system to X in time.
> Are you talking about the Windows XP "System Restore"? If so, I thought about that
> but if one of the scanners wind up finding malware and cleans it, then when I perform
> a System Restore, the malware will be brought back to life... won't it?
>
> The problem is almost all the above programs do not uninstall cleaning, leaving
> registry entries, mru's, and files on the HD.
> That's what I've been reading Urgh, I wish it wasn't like that.
>
> I will say the bits and pieces left behind are often not enough to slow the system
> significantly.
> But any kind of resulting slow down would hurt especially more for me since I'm
> running a P4, 3.0 GHz w/ HT, 1GB mem. So I can't afford for there to be even a small
> visible slow down afterwards.

I personally would not recommend installing all the virus scanners and then uninstalling them.

Maybe you should think about doing an "on-demand" (online) scan from some of the more trusted virus scanners? Here are three:

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/
http://www.bitdefender.com/scanner/online/free.html
http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/

Last time I used any of them they installed via a browser plug-in which you could just remove once you're done with it, but that was years ago - I'm not sure how they work now but they definitely do not install any kind of real-time component.

ETA: I just clicked on them and ESET and Panda both download and install like their paid AV software and just do not include a real-time component. BitDefender seemed to be trying to scan through the browser.

Edited by Waremonger (05/19/12 12:38 AM)

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Installing Antivirus software then uninstalling it after the full scan will slow down the computer? new [Re: mogli]
#286935 - 05/19/12 04:50 AM

Quote:

Posted by Mogli

I think you're nit-picking. And maybe you've been a little careless....

Quoted from my original post:

"I am thinking about doing this process just to make sure my computer is clean and free of malware. My computer is not experiencing any problems or slowdown, but I was thinking about doing this process just to be on the safe side."

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Installing Antivirus software then uninstalling it after the full scan will slow down the computer? new [Re: Waremonger]
#286937 - 05/19/12 04:53 AM

I'll look into using that method. Thanks. I forgot about Panda. That used to be one of the better antivirus software back in the day.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#286960 - 05/19/12 08:00 AM

> Posted by Mogli
>
> I think you're nit-picking. And maybe you've been a little careless....
>
> Quoted from my original post:
>
> "I am thinking about doing this process just to make sure my computer is clean and
> free of malware. My computer is not experiencing any problems or slowdown, but I was
> thinking about doing this process just to be on the safe side."

Exactly. How do you really know? Hassle. Do a little net research, pick the best-seeming one. Forget about it. At least for three months.

The Culture

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: Installing Antivirus software then uninstalling it after the full scan will slow down the computer? new [Re: mogli]
#286963 - 05/19/12 08:12 AM

Quote:

Exactly. How do you really know? Hassle. Do a little net research, pick the best-seeming one. Forget about it. At least for three months.

There's always the option of leaving your computer on while scheduling the antivirus to scan while you sleep. Of course that means having a better reason to leave your system on all the time. Like say being a peer within an anon and P2P net.

However I do find the idea of running the AV via a VM very intriguing. Is Micro$quish still allowing free downloads of Virtual PC? That is if you're running Windoze. Though it would get resource-intensive just to have that VM up and running, grab the latest AV updates, do a full system scan, then terminate the VM.

It would be K-RaD to figure out how to script all of that and have it all loaded and running when it's needed. Though I think the free AVG offers such scans on demand yet doesn't make itself resident. I could be wrong since I used AVG a few years ago and that's how it worked at the time.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Installing Antivirus software then uninstalling it after the full scan will slow down the computer? new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#286967 - 05/19/12 08:25 AM

Quote:

I am thinking about doing this process just to make sure my computer is clean and free of malware. My computer is not experiencing any problems or slowdown, but I was thinking about doing this process just to be on the safe side.

I don't think I'm going to do anything except to continue to use Microsoft Security Essentials. After hearing your opinions and others on the internet, I figure 'why mess up a good thing'. Have a 'If it's not broken, why fix it' method of thinking. I just always wondered why more people didn't do what I was planning on doing. But now I see why some don't because it could slow down their computer alil bit.

I was thinking... how are those T.V. scams that run commercials claiming to speed up/fix your computer/registry allowed to be advertised? Isn't it false advertising since most, if not all, of those websites barely do anything good, report false issues, and some even do more harm than good. I'm suprised there hasn't been a class action lawsuit against one of those sites.

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Profiting from users' technological ignorance. new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#286969 - 05/19/12 09:19 AM

Quote:

I was thinking... how are those T.V. scams that run commercials claiming to speed up/fix your computer/registry allowed to be advertised?

That's simple: The average PC consumer knows nothing about how a computer works. Anyone who knows just a little about computers in general is seen as a Gawd within those eyes.

Do you remember when computers were released with full manuals regarding their repair and maintenance? Or the huge honkin' manuals that accompanied operating systems from PC-DOS 3.3x and earlier? The reason why such manuals are no longer printed is that having digital copies entombed upon the hard drive was more cost-effective. And, for those who dig searchable databases, it was not a problem to search and find pertinent info regarding a problem at hand.

The documentation that accompanies MS-DOS 5.0 and MS-DOS 6.0 is such an example. Most of the juicy dox for MS-DOS 6.0 are through HELP that actually calls the QBASIC help system core to display the full reference. The only printed dox is a very slim user guide.

Even with that convenience it's as though the end-user is afraid to "Press F1 For HELP" lest they break something. Or maybe even that the current generation that far gone within their own functional illiteracy that learning the basics of an operating system is a daunting task.

It's as if, "Hey! I read not just the manuals but also third-party supplementary materials! What's THEIR excuse?"

But I'm not complaining: I profit off of their own ignorance as I'm a freelancing PC recovery tech. I do impart upon them the need to learn how their own tools work so that they can have backups of their own data within a secure offline fashion. Or, better yet, me providing tools as well as basic information on how to operate them securely.

Today a computer is nothing more but a mere appliance to be used only to connect to the Internet: It is this generation's sedentary idea of a one-way conduit of "content" and "content". And, goodness knows, a computer can be used for much more than web browsing.

At least a couple people here know the scam at large. And yet all of that trouble could have been saved by the ignorant end user of knowing how their own tools operate as well, including how to backup and secure the data hosted upon those devices. And data storage prices are still plummeting.

--Bekki

DrArcade
AKA Mr. CAST
Send PM

Feel free to ship me your drive, I'll scan it and return it :nt: :) new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#286980 - 05/19/12 05:58 PM

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Now....why wasn't your post title enough?..... (nt) new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#287011 - 05/19/12 11:52 PM

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 315 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2343