MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU Update: Tecmo Bowl prototype
#286349 - 05/15/12 02:20 AM

I pulled an Indiana Jones move and scored a prototype / test location version of Tecmo Bowl. It has serial #3 and several handwritten labels with various dates on them indicating the revisions. It appears to be a test location version near the end of the dev cycle.

http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/tbowlpa.jpg
http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/tbowlpb.jpg
http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/tbowlpc.jpg

I was able to get this because I had donations on hand, otherwise the next highest bidder would have it and it would probably be lost forever.

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Tecmo Bowl prototype new [Re: Smitdogg]
#286352 - 05/15/12 02:48 AM

Congrats, that sounds like a nice treasure.

You didn't have to rip anyone's heart out for it did you?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Tecmo Bowl prototype new [Re: greybeard]
#286353 - 05/15/12 02:54 AM

Kali Ma! Kali Ma!

No not really me and the seller chatted over fried monkey brain and talked about the good ole days of arcade gaming.

DrArcade
AKA Mr. CAST
Reged: 03/27/12
Loc: Latin America
Send PM

#286354 - 05/15/12 03:38 AM

Congrats!

The screen looks thinner than 4:3 and wierder than 16:9, what's the aspect ratio? 2.29:1?

Also, what's with the black center line?

Mr. CAST

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Tecmo Bowl prototype new [Re: DrArcade]
#286355 - 05/15/12 03:40 AM

> Congrats!
>
> The screen looks thinner than 4:3 and wierder than 16:9, what's the aspect ratio?
> 2.29:1?
>
> Also, what's with the black center line?
>
> Mr. CAST

Two screens, showing with gap. You can adjust screen controls in MAME to make it gapless if you wish..
Hmmph.. might be a bug there. Snaps come out with a gap but you can set gapless on screen without issue

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Tecmo Bowl prototype new [Re: Tafoid]
#286368 - 05/15/12 04:30 AM

That last post reminded me Tafoid. You said the screen gap was a glitch. I looked awhile back and didn't see anything posted about it on MT. I also noticed that as well as with the artwork files. Sometimes the art stays on when you take a snap with it turned off. Or it doesn't show the art but takes the snap in the same size as if it were there. Someone else had said that that's the way it works but that doesn't make any sense. I've never looked into the art handling so I have no way to tell what's right or wrong. Sorry I started this here but it just made me remember. I can move it to emuchat or just PM w/an answer or what you want me do. Hoping someone might have a quick answer.

Thanks
Later...

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

JimmyU
Bustin' Heads
Reged: 12/11/07
Send PM

#286370 - 05/15/12 04:42 AM

I'm a big fan of dual monitor games, but the arcade version's gameplay is really stiff compared to the NES version.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Tecmo Bowl prototype new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#286371 - 05/15/12 04:44 AM

> That last post reminded me Tafoid. You said the screen gap was a glitch. I looked
> awhile back and didn't see anything posted about it on MT. I also noticed that as
> well as with the artwork files. Sometimes the art stays on when you take a snap with
> it turned off. Or it doesn't show the art but takes the snap in the same size as if
> it were there. Someone else had said that that's the way it works but that doesn't
> make any sense. I've never looked into the art handling so I have no way to tell
> what's right or wrong. Sorry I started this here but it just made me remember. I can
> move it to emuchat or just PM w/an answer or what you want me do. Hoping someone
> might have a quick answer.
>
> Thanks
> Later...

Simply put, with artwork, if it is in your artwork folder, it can show up in your snap. Move or delete the artwork if you want to take snaps with the artwork included. MAME looks for artwork and by design lays out the screen according to what it sees for artwork dimensions.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Tecmo Bowl prototype new [Re: JimmyU]
#286372 - 05/15/12 04:45 AM

It's a lot of fun with real arcade controllers because you jerk them back and forth to break tackles. It's perfectly fitting. With a thumb pad or keyboard that isn't going to translate well though.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#286428 - 05/15/12 09:37 AM

> Kali Ma! Kali Ma!
>
> No not really me and the seller chatted over fried monkey brain and talked about the
> good ole days of arcade gaming.

I thought you had left the owner with a bag of sand.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Tecmo Bowl prototype new [Re: DrArcade]
#286452 - 05/15/12 03:36 PM

> Congrats!
>
> The screen looks thinner than 4:3 and wierder than 16:9, what's the aspect ratio?
> 2.29:1?
>
> Also, what's with the black center line?
>
> Mr. CAST

Basically the same resolution as the NES and most other 8-bit systems from the 1980s. 256x224 pixels across two separate standard resolution 4:3 aspect CRT monitors. The two pixel black line will be from MAME digitally splitting the two screens.

If you had to display both images side by side on a single monitor, the aspect ratio would be 8:3, or 2.666667:1.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 729 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3109