MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Parduz
Reged: 01/08/08
Loc: Bologna, ITALY
Send PM

Searching for help on "decompiling" a M68000 ROM
#286201 - 05/13/12 07:45 PM

Hello to all.
I'm an italian programmer/musician (pls forget my poor english).
In my spare time i do a lot of things, and one of them is trying (it's a lot of years) to make a digital "virtual" version of my beloved synth, an Ensoniq SQ1.
Since i work in a electronic lab, i was able to dump the ROM containing the samples the synth uses as "base waveform", and i've dumped the program ROMS as well.
Then i've converter the sound dump in a WAV file, and i've identified almost all the "base waveforms", manually seeking all the WAV, visually searching for "data jumps" and hearing everything 'till i was almost alienated.
As i said, i've identified ALMOST all the sounds.... that ROMs contains a whole lot of strange data, some parts are waves that sounds good but that are not available on the synth menus, some perhaps are just "evolving" sounds played in sequences..... and then there's the BIG difficult thing..... find the sweet "loop point", that does not "click" when the wave is played as a loop.... it's very hard to find it when looping "natural", non electronic sounds, and it is something the Ensoniq engineers have already done.

So i thought that, perhaps, if i could find where these info are coded in the firmware everything will be so much "easier".
I tried, and i failed. I'm a "High-Level" programmer (Visual Basic, C++Builder and some modern Motorola DSP programmed in C++), i know almost nothing about the 68K, i've not the money to buy the decompiler stuffs available and, anyway, i don't have the necessary know-how.

So, i'm looking for some help. I know that MAME have a 68K emulator, and that there's a lot of great programmers and good people willing to help.
There's someone willing to help me? i don't want the whole firmware decompiled: i will be just happy to know how the sounds ROMs were read and accessed. The firmware have a nice section where the wave names are readable in plain ASCII, which i think it is a agood point to start...

Well, i'm here, hoping in some feedback/help

Edited by Parduz (05/13/12 07:45 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Searching for help on "decompiling" a M68000 ROM new [Re: Parduz]
#286220 - 05/14/12 02:08 AM

Hi!

We're definitely interested in emulating Ensoniq and other CPU-controlled synth gear on the MESS side. Feel free to PM me and we'll see what we can do with your SQ-1 ROMs.

Thanks,
-RB

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Searching for help on "decompiling" a M68000 ROM new [Re: R. Belmont]
#286469 - 05/15/12 05:01 PM

In case anyone out in forum land was interested:

After a quick browse of the ROMs, the SQ-1 was clearly the basis of the Ensoniq sound system used in a lot of Taito mid-90s games (all of the F3 System stuff, and several other boards as well). The hardware's nearly identical (minus the obvious arcade-specific stuff), so it oughta be relatively easy to get this up and running.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Pi 
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3229