MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

The Abyss
#285828 - 05/10/12 06:43 AM

It always amazes me how sometimes reality, either in space or in the oceans depths, just looks like it has to be CGI.

Unknown creature obviously of the jellyfish type family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-E-8_wDgN7c#!

There is no law in the arena

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: The Abyss new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#285830 - 05/10/12 06:51 AM

I saw this post on Reddit and it has been identified as a Deepstaria Enigmatica (not like I even know what that is...)

That hexagon pattern is interesting. Also interesting how we know more about space than we do our own oceans. So many varied species live in such incredible pressures, temperatures, and depths. Spooky and awe inspiring at the same time.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

says 'video is private'..... (nt) new [Re: Hizzout]
#285902 - 05/11/12 12:29 AM

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: says 'video is private'..... (nt) new [Re: mogli]
#285931 - 05/11/12 05:25 AM

You're talking about the video in the original post? I can watch it fine.

Here, from another site:

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Re: The Abyss new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#285951 - 05/11/12 09:00 AM

I agree. What's truely amazing is that there are still many unknown, never discovered living entities living in the deep ocean and in the rain forests (plants, etc.). And it is very possible that one day Joe Shmoe will stumble across a never discovered plant life that will wind up curing some presently uncurable disease.

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: The Abyss new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#286088 - 05/12/12 08:15 PM

Quote:

And it is very possible that one day Joe Shmoe will stumble across a never discovered plant life that will wind up curing some presently uncurable disease.

What blows my mind is that body of knowledge we have now as compared to thousands of years ago. Much of that knowledge is based on discoveries of really cool stuff within this world. It's as if the only thing "known" back then was that the blue sky was all that there was. Now there is much more to it that we can only state "what's up" in reference to what's on Earth. We know now that this planet is part of a solar system which is a part of a larger galaxy within an infinitely large universe that has neither an "up" or "down" that we keep learning more about through our own evolving technology. We can see much more than we could ever dream of seeing thousands of years ago.

That is way cool. :-)

While we are able to easily map the complete surface of the Earth that still leaves what's beneath largely uncharted. But we're always pushing that envelope with better tools that can withstand the pressures of the deep dark depths of the oceans. Or seeing how far we can dig through and beneath the Earth's crust.

The more we discover, the more we learn and the larger and healthier that Tree Of Knowledge becomes. Sure, some branches will wither and die and be replaced with new branches of knowledge. That's how it evolves and The Tree is much better for it.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#286125 - 05/12/12 10:24 PM

> I agree. What's truely amazing is that there are still many unknown, never discovered
> living entities living in the deep ocean and in the rain forests (plants, etc.). And
> it is very possible that one day Joe Shmoe will stumble across a never discovered
> plant life that will wind up curing some presently uncurable disease.

Didn't you see Medicine Man, with Sean Connory?

Anyways, Amazon Herb Company (to be distinguished from Amazon) is doing just that.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: The Abyss new [Re: mogli]
#286147 - 05/13/12 02:52 AM

Quote:

Didn't you see Medicine Man, with Sean Connory?

Anyways, Amazon Herb Company (to be distinguished from Amazon) is doing just that.

No, but I'll check it out. I remember learning that in fourth grade and it stuck in my head knowing that any given day the world as we know it can change with the discovery of some unknown plant that can make a medicine that can cure or vaccinate some uncurable disease. Heck, to be really far out, it's even remotely possible that it can stop the aging process of cells which could help people live much longer.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#286159 - 05/13/12 04:51 AM

> No, but I'll check it out. I remember learning that in fourth grade and it stuck in
> my head knowing that any given day the world as we know it can change with the
> discovery of some unknown plant that can make a medicine that can cure or vaccinate
> some uncurable disease. Heck, to be really far out, it's even remotely possible that
> it can stop the aging process of cells which could help people live much longer.

Actually, and whether something has already been discovered and suppressed, I don't think it's going to happen that way, but rather an active/symbiotic agent - be it organic or no.

The Culture

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: The Abyss new [Re: mogli]
#286166 - 05/13/12 05:55 AM

Such as the cure for the common cold.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 141 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1757