MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

Ms. Pac-Man II (Orca)
#285774 - 05/10/12 12:26 AM

This game was originally supported in PacMAME and then MiSFiTMAME. Easily dismissed as an unofficial bootleg for understandable reasons, in actuality it appears to have been an official arcade release from Orca themselves.

In light of this fact, shouldn't it be added to MAME? Or am I missing something..

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Ms. Pac-Man II (Orca) new [Re: Shoegazr]
#285806 - 05/10/12 03:45 AM

What is the difference between this and Bally/Midway/Namco original ?

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Send PM

Re: Ms. Pac-Man II (Orca) new [Re: CTOJAH]
#285816 - 05/10/12 04:32 AM

> What is the difference between this and Bally/Midway/Namco original ?

Apparently it's a bootleg from Orca, the company that gave us games like "Funky Bee" and "Marine Boy" (and some of their programmers went on to more famous companies like Toaplan IIRC). So it's of minor historical interest.

Incidentally, the date in MiSFitMAME indicates that the game was from 1998; however I don't think that's correct - I believe this was in actual arcade cabinets - and arcades - in the early 80s. Don't have proof of that though.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Ms. Pac-Man II (Orca) new [Re: CTOJAH]
#285817 - 05/10/12 04:33 AM Attachment: mspacii.png 2 KB (0 downloads)

> What is the difference between this and Bally/Midway/Namco original ?

Different startup screen, IRQ works differently. Some internal code differences.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#285866 - 05/10/12 05:14 PM

> This game was originally supported in PacMAME and then MiSFiTMAME. Easily dismissed
> as an unofficial bootleg for understandable reasons, in actuality it appears to have
> been an official arcade release from Orca themselves.

Can you share the documentation of it as an official release? It's obviously a slam-dunk in that case.

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Send PM

Re: Ms. Pac-Man II (Orca) new [Re: R. Belmont]
#285905 - 05/11/12 12:56 AM

> > This game was originally supported in PacMAME and then MiSFiTMAME. Easily dismissed
> > as an unofficial bootleg for understandable reasons, in actuality it appears to
> have
> > been an official arcade release from Orca themselves.
>
> Can you share the documentation of it as an official release? It's obviously a
> slam-dunk in that case.

Unfortunately I can't (that's why I said that I have no proof). I was hoping someone else reading this could confirm that it was in fact an arcade release. It seemed odd that both PacMAME and MiSFiTMAME labelled it as being published by "Orca" which went out of business in the early 80s, and I know of no other such company, so I was curious why it had never been added to MAME. Now it's a bit clearer - apparently lack of documentation is the very reason?

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#285937 - 05/11/12 06:01 AM

In the interests of being fair, I'd say it'd be time to actually review all notes on the game.

For instance, where did the 1998 come from? When you finish the reanalysis of what you have and the reliability of it, you're probably still not going to have a solid 90% certainty, but you'll have enough to work with and figure out what you should do going forward.

I'd honestly be a little worried about letting this game slip through the cracks if there's even a SUGGESTION this could be an actual legit MAME target bootleg.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Ms. Pac-Man II (Orca) new [Re: R. Belmont]
#286774 - 05/17/12 06:44 PM

> > This game was originally supported in PacMAME and then MiSFiTMAME. Easily dismissed
> > as an unofficial bootleg for understandable reasons, in actuality it appears to
> have
> > been an official arcade release from Orca themselves.
>
> Can you share the documentation of it as an official release? It's obviously a
> slam-dunk in that case.

There's not a lot to go on, but it's fairly conclusive. I'll direct you to the mailing list, for some reason I'm running afoul of the automated censors here. (I'll figure out _why_ later.)

- Stiletto

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 129 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2134