MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Does "Gens+ Rewind!" and "Gens Plus!" support cheat codes for the Master System?
#285537 - 05/08/12 11:48 AM

Does "Gens+ Rewind!" and "Gens Plus!" support cheat codes for the Master System? I know they support cheat codes for the Sega Genesis. But when playing a Master System game, I can't find any place in the menu bar to enter cheat codes. If they do support cheat codes for the Master System, where/how do I enter them?

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: Does "Gens+ Rewind!" and "Gens Plus!" support cheat codes for the Master System? new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#286085 - 05/12/12 07:51 PM

How about trying to mess around with the settings a bit? Its a pretty nice feeling when you figure stuff out on your own.

If you cant or Gens doesnt support SMS cheats( I can imagine it doesnt) I do know that Fusion does support SMS cheats

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: Does "Gens+ Rewind!" and "Gens Plus!" support cheat codes for the Master System? new [Re: mesk]
#286107 - 05/12/12 09:51 PM

> How about trying to mess around with the settings a bit? Its a pretty nice feeling
> when you figure stuff out on your own.
>
> If you cant or Gens doesnt support SMS cheats( I can imagine it doesnt) I do know
> that Fusion does support SMS cheats

It's not even a matter of 'figuring it out yourself', but of just trying shit. It's not like people have to type command line, but they act like it.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Re: Does "Gens+ Rewind!" and "Gens Plus!" support cheat codes for the Master System? new [Re: mesk]
#286145 - 05/13/12 02:06 AM

Quote:

How about trying to mess around with the settings a bit? Its a pretty nice feeling when you figure stuff out on your own.

I did try messing around with the settings. I couldn't figure it out and that's why I ask the question. But I found out from another forum that it does not support cheat codes for those systems (which I figured) unless you use ArtMoney. Instead of assuming that I did not try to do it myself, you could have asked me if I tried. But my original post should have been obvious that I did try since I said:

"I know they support cheat codes for the Sega Genesis. But when playing a Master System game, I can't find any place in the menu bar to enter cheat codes."

Regarding the Kega Fusion emulator... That is my emulator of choice for those systems. But once in awhile, I like to mix it up and use a different emulator because some emulators have features that other emulators don't have. For example, "Gens+ Rewind!" has REWIND support that Kega Fusion does not have.

Quote:

It's not even a matter of 'figuring it out yourself', but of just trying shit. It's not like people have to type command line, but they act like it.

See my response above.

----------------------

In the movie Under Siege 2, there is a quote that says:

"Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups."

Speaking of that movie, I wonder if the U.S. military really does have something similiar to those lasers in space that can pin point any target on earth and blast it away? That's pretty crazy if they did, but I wouldn't be suprised if they did. They probably have a bunch of secret weapons the public don't know about.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Does "Gens+ Rewind!" and "Gens Plus!" support cheat codes for the Master System? new [Re: mogli]
#286154 - 05/13/12 04:20 AM

> It's not even a matter of 'figuring it out yourself', but of just trying shit. It's
> not like people have to type command line, but they act like it.

People are terrified of just playing around with computers and exercising their human capacity for discovery and exploration. And I don't get it. Back in the 80s and 90s if I got my hands on a new computer or OS I'd go on a rampage trying every single option to find out what it did. I destroyed nothing, and learned tons.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Re: Does "Gens+ Rewind!" and "Gens Plus!" support cheat codes for the Master System? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#286179 - 05/13/12 11:54 AM

What is the benefit of this "REWIND" feature? Just curious.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Does "Gens+ Rewind!" and "Gens Plus!" support cheat codes for the Master System? new [Re: Outrun2006]
#286188 - 05/13/12 03:37 PM

> What is the benefit of this "REWIND" feature? Just curious.

so you can upload perfect speedrun videos

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Does "Gens+ Rewind!" and "Gens Plus!" support cheat codes for the Master System? new [Re: Outrun2006]
#286200 - 05/13/12 07:18 PM

> What is the benefit of this "REWIND" feature? Just curious.

People use them to make so-called TAS (Tool-Assisted Speedruns) in which the player appears to make no mistakes and therefore can finish a game in the most optimal way. Every time they do make a mistake, which is generally over 10,000 times in a given playthrough, they use the rewind to try again. Emulators with full support for this will then also back up the recorded .inp or equivalent so when you play back the .inp it just plain looks like you're supernaturally good.

This technique is also useful for exploiting timing bugs in games, like finishing Mario 64 without getting any stars by flying backwards through the castle walls.

You can see many examples sorted by console at tasvideos.org.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Does "Gens+ Rewind!" and "Gens Plus!" support cheat codes for the Master System? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#286202 - 05/13/12 07:56 PM

> > It's not even a matter of 'figuring it out yourself', but of just trying shit. It's
> > not like people have to type command line, but they act like it.
>
> People are terrified of just playing around with computers and exercising their human
> capacity for discovery and exploration. And I don't get it. Back in the 80s and 90s
> if I got my hands on a new computer or OS I'd go on a rampage trying every single
> option to find out what it did. I destroyed nothing, and learned tons.

These days a bug can wipe your entire computer or do something that makes it unbootable, so maybe they're scared of that happening.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#286207 - 05/13/12 09:43 PM

> > What is the benefit of this "REWIND" feature? Just curious.
>
> People use them to make so-called TAS (Tool-Assisted Speedruns) in which the player
> appears to make no mistakes and therefore can finish a game in the most optimal way.
> Every time they do make a mistake, which is generally over 10,000 times in a given
> playthrough, they use the rewind to try again. Emulators with full support for this
> will then also back up the recorded .inp or equivalent so when you play back the .inp
> it just plain looks like you're supernaturally good.
>
> This technique is also useful for exploiting timing bugs in games, like finishing
> Mario 64 without getting any stars by flying backwards through the castle walls.
>
> You can see many examples sorted by console at tasvideos.org.

Here's an example, no guy even from Asia could play this well in real time.

And to OldSchoolGamer: It's better for us to assume you're lazy, because we in no way believe you're an idiot... and that's the second option. :P

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Sometimes good for silly fun, too. new [Re: Outrun2006]
#286210 - 05/14/12 12:15 AM

I used to occasionally pull a Sands of Time-style streamed run of a few NES games, as Nestopia supports an identical rewind.

Take a hit in Rush'n'Attack, say over the mic, "No, no, no, that's not the way it happened. Shall I start again?" and rewind a couple seconds.

It never ceased to amuse people.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Sometimes good for silly fun, too. new [Re: Firehawke]
#286279 - 05/14/12 06:16 PM

> I used to occasionally pull a Sands of Time-style streamed run of a few NES games, as
> Nestopia supports an identical rewind.
>
> Take a hit in Rush'n'Attack, say over the mic, "No, no, no, that's not the way it
> happened. Shall I start again?" and rewind a couple seconds.
>
> It never ceased to amuse people.

That sounds great. Link?

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: Sometimes good for silly fun, too. new [Re: R. Belmont]
#286338 - 05/15/12 12:39 AM

That recording would have washed away about two years ago. Justin.TV/Twitch.TV saves recordings for about a week unless you specifically tell it to save it forever.

I'm one of about twelve people who use the channel. I'll PM you the info if you really want it, though. It's not that the channel or contents are illegal-- I just don't feel comfortable advertising.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Sometimes good for silly fun, too. new [Re: Firehawke]
#286464 - 05/15/12 04:53 PM

> That recording would have washed away about two years ago. Justin.TV/Twitch.TV saves
> recordings for about a week unless you specifically tell it to save it forever.

Ahh, that's too bad. That particular scenario sounded really amusing. The guys on What The Hack? do rewind occasionally, but most of them just post straight tool-assisted no-death runs (not necessarily fast or perfect, just no-death).

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#286558 - 05/16/12 09:54 AM

> > What is the benefit of this "REWIND" feature? Just curious.
>
> People use them to make so-called TAS (Tool-Assisted Speedruns) in which the player
> appears to make no mistakes and therefore can finish a game in the most optimal way.
> Every time they do make a mistake, which is generally over 10,000 times in a given
> playthrough, they use the rewind to try again. Emulators with full support for this
> will then also back up the recorded .inp or equivalent so when you play back the .inp
> it just plain looks like you're supernaturally good.
>
> This technique is also useful for exploiting timing bugs in games, like finishing
> Mario 64 without getting any stars by flying backwards through the castle walls.
>
> You can see many examples sorted by console at tasvideos.org.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for the explanation RB. I am aware of TASVideos.org and have spoken to a few of the community forum members over there. It's a very nice community and I appreciate the fact that there are so many "movie" files uploaded at the website.

However, I *personally* do not enjoy watching speed run videos. I think using exploits and save state/rewind abusing somewhat "cheapens" the experience from a viewers point of view. I like to see real skills being displayed on screen. Someone who is attempting to put up a high score or certain (valid)time, without any cheats or exploits at all.

That is exactly why I left TAS and went to MARP and Twin Galaxies for my "input replay" fix. The only problem with those two places is that they don't have any input files for console games uploaded. I would really love a place similar to TAS Videos, but instead if speed/exploit/cheat runs, have legit runs. I would absolutely LOVE to see an input replay of someone playing Castlevania SOTN, Rage Racer, Ridge Racer Type 4, Gran Turismo 2, Zelda ALTTP, and a lot more.

If you or anyone else knows of a website that focuses on input replay files for console, but with legit runs, please feel free to share.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#286563 - 05/16/12 12:13 PM

> If you or anyone else knows of a website that focuses on input replay files for
> console, but with legit runs, please feel free to share.

There is HARP, sort of a sister site to MARP:
http://www.homeactionreplay.org

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Does "Gens+ Rewind!" and "Gens Plus!" support cheat codes for the Master System? new [Re: Tafoid]
#286726 - 05/17/12 10:53 AM

> > If you or anyone else knows of a website that focuses on input replay files for
> > console, but with legit runs, please feel free to share.
>
> There is HARP, sort of a sister site to MARP:
> http://www.homeactionreplay.org

Awesome thanks man

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 290 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4110